Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huntington, Outfarm Lane, Carpenterstown, Dublin 15

Options
  • 12-12-2019 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi folks,

Just spotted this house for sale in Carpenterstown. Seems like a bargain for a gated, detached, relatively modern, circa 4,400 square foot, C3 BER, garage, heated outdoor pool with pool house for 1.15 million.

What’s the catch? I can’t find anything online about Outfarm lane at all. Seems like there must be something wrong with it.

Does anyone know anything about this place?

I can’t post a link but you can find it by searching Huntington Outfarm Lane Dublin 15 on Google.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Do you mean this...

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/huntington-outfarm-lane-castleknock-dublin-15/4373114

No idea. Perhaps people with 1m+ are looking for something more modern both in terms of aesthetics and energy.

A recent planning application for one of the big houses/sites opposite is to build 190 apartments. If that happens you can expect other sites bedside it to do the same. Another 400-600 apartments should lead to some impressive gridlock and pressure on local resources like schools and the overcrowded trains. Might be a little less private and exclusive then.

https://www.joanburton.ie/balroy-house-application/

Other than that no idea why it's priced as it is. Houses above 600k seem to be very slow to shift these days.

You could buy get permission for a block of flats or a Lidl or Aldi on it. Then flip it. They'll give permission for anything these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 danielgalvin

beauf wrote: »
    Do you mean this...

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/huntington-outfarm-lane-castleknock-dublin-15/4373114

No idea. Perhaps people with 1m+ are looking for something more modern both in terms of aesthetics and energy.

A recent planning application for one of the big houses/sites opposite is to build 190 apartments. If that happens you can expect other sites bedside it to do the same. Another 400-600 apartments should lead to some impressive gridlock and pressure on local resources like schools and the overcrowded trains. Might be a little less private and exclusive then.

https://www.joanburton.ie/balroy-house-application/

Other than that no idea why it's priced as it is. Houses above 600k seem to be very slow to shift these days.

You could buy get permission for a block of flats or a Lidl or Aldi on it. Then flip it. They'll give permission for anything these days.

Hi beauf,

Thanks for responding. Yes, that’s the place. Good point on the look and energy of the place. However, if you were to look at it simply as 4,400 square feet of C3 BER space that could be updated without having to completely gut the place like a lot of other large homes I can look beyond this.

I didn’t realise about Balroy House. Is that on the adjacent street or even closer to Outfarm Lane? Would it impact your day-to-day living? Additional homes being built where’s there’s enough space in the city is always a risk.

I see there’s also two more houses for sale in Outfarm Lane now - Karnedy Lodge and Ard Field. That’s theee houses in a small area.

Ard Field: https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/ard-field-outfarm-lane-castleknock-dublin-15/4373074

Karnedy Lodge: https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/karnedy-lodge-outfarm-lane-castleknock-dublin-15-d15-cf22/4368213

Anyone familiar with the area know what’s going on?

The market has stalled. Lost of houses over 500K, have been sitting there quite a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

ugly celtic tiger mc mansion lacking in charachter or comfort.
    if i had that kind of money id buy a beautiful old red brick in the likes of glasnevin or ranelagh .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its an extremely unattractive house and would take at least 100k if not more to sort out and how many days would you be using an outdoor swimming pool in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

The house is on a private road. You should seek information on right of way, maintenance of the road, and utility services.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Its an extremely unattractive house and would take at least 100k if not more to sort out and how many days would you be using an outdoor swimming pool in Ireland.

Thanks for your response. When you say unattractive, do you mean both inside and outside? If so, which parts specifically? Agreed the outdoor poor would get very little use.

GetWithIt wrote: »
    The house is on a private road. You should seek information on right of way, maintenance of the road, and utility services.

Agree, this definitely could put people off.

Wesser wrote: »
    ugly celtic tiger mc mansion lacking in charachter or comfort.
    if i had that kind of money id buy a beautiful old red brick in the likes of glasnevin or ranelagh .

Seems like that is the consensus. Any idea what you would do to it to fix it?

Figured it out. There is a planning permission request to build 22 residential units on the site of Garryowen, Outfarm Lane, Carpenterstown, Dublin 15. According to the property price register, this house and site sold for 2.6 million in October this year. Garryowen is the house at the entrance to Outfarm Lane.

• Advertisement

How did you find that?

I kinda suspected it would be something like that.

I expect they'll fill every nook and cranny with housing regardless if the infrastructure can cope with it. That's what they usually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Surprising. The other houses in the immediate area that sold and were knocked down to use as sites were all banjaxed. Garryowen is in very good condition and is currently available to rent.

Planning application isn’t online as far as I can see. It might be awkward to secure given the private road running through

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

mariaalice wrote: »

Awful property with odd shaped rooms and other strange features.ie, roundy doors and alcoves, plus a very poor quality kitchen. You'd be spending a lot more than 100k to update that house.

How did you find that?

I kinda suspected it would be something like that.

I expect they'll fill every nook and cranny with housing regardless if the infrastructure can cope with it. That's what they usually do.

See photo of planning request.

Somehow I think its dead in the water. Though they'll be back in a few years to try again.

Pity I'd say most people where looking forward to another masterpiece of poor planning and road design.
    You'd think they couldn't do worse than the last time but every time they manage to exceed all expectations.

Huntington has now dropped to €975k and is listed with a new agent with updated photos.

Huntington has now dropped to €975k and is listed with a new agent with updated photos.

You can expect the expensive houses to fall big time. Makes no difference as most people aren't in market for a 1m houses. Last crash some 2m houses in the area at peak (unrealistic) eventually sold for 1.2m etc. But cheaper house in a perfect location didn't fall that much, maybe 20%. The market is not linear.

If you had a million would you buy it and why?

• Advertisement

If you had a million would you buy it and why?

It's a tough one as looks good on paper (large site, gated, detached, relatively modern, circa 4,400 square foot, C3 BER, garage, heated outdoor pool with pool house for 975k) and is an impressive house when you see it. You are getting a lot for your money. It needs work but what house doesn't. There's new houses nearby that sold for 1m+ that are significantly smaller and if you're in the market for this location you are probably now disappointed. I think what works against it is the location.

I'd agree with all of that.

It would be best if you had a use case that made the best use of the location. They would make the best use and get the best value from it. Some sort of business etc.

I'd agree with all of that.

It would be best if you had a use case that made the best use of the location. They would make the best use and get the best value from it. Some sort of business etc.

Yes for me the location is what’s missing. If you were to pick that house up and drop it in Castleknock, I’d say the asking would be around ~2m.

Looks like Huntington was sold or at least sale agreed recently but is now back on the market.

....There must be something really wrong here.

I think you are looking for drama where there is none.

Big houses are going to move slowly after a market has peaked. Never mind during the lock down. Which has its own issues. I doubt there is anywhere in the country in the moment that isn't at risk of an out of character high density development being given approval next door. They are trying hard to do this everywhere. Its makes everyone nervous. I last look at these houses Dec~Mar and really nothing has changed. Some new ones have come on the market but most things are just stuck. People can't sell and people can't buy. So nothing is happening.

Advertisement