Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Shane Shane Show - Friday the 13th.(!) 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

497575.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

fritzelly wrote: »
    Had to go to the pub at 11.15 but seems I have to watch the rest for the best

I did the exact same thing. I was sick of hiding behind the couch.

And I’m still here going strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Philomena begley is a ****ing disgrace

Unbelievable disrespect, especially with the man who wrote it sitting beside her.

To be honest, Sèan Ò Sè wasn't much better on Body of an American.

I don't think it's too much to expect from either of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

mollser wrote: »
    What is it with hansard

Overrated as fûck that’s what’s with him... a complete camera whore now too, loves the sound of his own voice, turning up to any stage with a mic and a camera and a relevant bite of cool.. ohh and he likes a ‘cause’.

Strumms wrote: »
    Overrated as fûck that’s what’s with him... a complete camera whore now too, loves the sound of his own voice, turning up to any stage with a mic and a camera and a relevant bite of cool.. ohh and he likes a ‘cause’.

Agreed!! But he’s incredibly talented though. Genius levels of talent. I’m torn. I hate the man but love his music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Pub full of fcukin teenagers, two of mine included. Honme for a bit of peace and quiet. Jaysus, I'm turning into my father.
    Lisha wrote: »
    It’s a pity the nerves got to her. For all the others complaining of the pub type setup... do you think Shane ok’d this and totally wouldn’t be bothered by it?

Think we too easily offended. I suspect Shane is more pragmatic in thst he is who he is and couldn’t give a damn for political correctness.

Cool night to be there I hope you loved it!

RTE's idea. He'd have no control over that
    How are you sligo? xxx

She was very wooden, surprised she was nervous, sure she's been belting out songs for years.....

Pity, Shane was on the ball for the song all right

All good here GSW. Hope things are good at your end too.

I don't think there was any rehearsing. They did a second take after she messed up but seen to have gone with the first. Weird.
    Sligo joe is Shane still off the cigarettes?
    He was on a vape last time I saw him.

He does both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

At least he's able to sing. And doesn't ruin songs like what happened at the end of tonight's show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

At least he's able to sing. And doesn't ruin songs like what happened at the end of tonight's show.

Is he?

Regulars here know that I've been a friend of Shane's for over 30 years. I've nothing to do with the music industry. I can understand people criticizing him and not liking him. I;ve heard it all before. People like bands that I don't like. Fair enough. That's how the cookie crumbles.

In my opinion the show shouldn't have been done because he's simply not able. He busted his hip a few years ago and has never recovered.

Tubridy was the wrong man for the job. Fake as fcuk from start to finish. Reading buzz words from the cue cards.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Regulars here know that I've been a friend of Shane's for over 30 years. I've nothing to do with the music industry. I can understand people criticizing him and not liking him. I;ve heard it all before. People like bands that I don't like. Fair enough. That's how the cookie crumbles.

In my opinion the show shouldn't have been done because he's simply not able. He busted his hip a few years ago and has never recovered.

Tubridy was the wrong man for the job. Fake as fcuk from start to finish. Reading buzz words from the cue cards.

You don’t have to be a personal friend of Shane to know that. Tubridy completely out of his depth here. He’s a total and utter disgrace of a presenter.... loves his 30 second viral clips, dancing around interviewees for ages just to get that ONE question in for his 5 minutes of internet fame. It’s honestly a disgrace to have this fella on our national broadcasters flagship show. If you watched the toy show youd have known exactly what was in store. Always looking for THAT viral clip, that moment he can exploit someone’s misery... all for those 7 retweet’s on RTEs account.

He’s a complete pussy. Padded out the interview with family and friends just so he wasn’t in THAT position one on one with Shane who is a notorious difficult person to interview.

It’s a joke this fella is getting half a million a year. He completely ducked out of this tonight, phoned it in. Embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Thanks for getting back sligo x

Tbh, I felt sorry for Shane and I'm not sure he would like that from anyone. The plastic pints and Mr. T doing his squirming didn't make for comfortable viewing.

I didn't realise you were up for the show, fair play to you - I was late to the thread - If I'd known that you were roaming the capital, I'd have had a pint with you! :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Gerlad

He should have been left sing a few on his own as rough and ready as they are. McGowans opus and delivery are unique and even though he sounds dodge he still has all his faculties. He is/was a serious songwriter. Give me the work of the Pogues over u2, Aslan et al any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I had to lower the quality to upload it, so I'm not sure what it's like, about to find out when I post the link.
    I initially thought that she didn't know/forgot the lyrics, but it looks like a microphone issue.
    Anyway. Went to the pub. I wish there were teenagers or twentysomethings.. My pub was crammed with 50+.... :(

Here's the link Literally just uploaded it. So haven't watched it yet (on this)
    https://streamable.com/acknc

Thanks for getting back sligo x

Tbh, I felt sorry for Shane and I'm not sure he would like that from anyone. The plastic pints and Mr. T doing his squirming didn't make for comfortable viewing.

I didn't realise you were up for the show, fair play to you - I was late to the thread - If I'd known that you were roaming the capital, I'd have had a pint with you! :):)

That's a pity. I could have got you a seat. Although I knew about this for a few weeks I wasn't sure I was able to go until Monday. We were late getting to Dublin and only had time for one pint in the Burlington/Ballsbridge hotel then on to RTE. As it happened we could have taken our time. Filming was delayed because a tribute to Mary Kennedy overran for a bit.

I really enjoyed the experience. The musicians rehearsing, the green room, the hustle and bustle of the dressing rooms and of course, the free drink. I'll pay my licence next week with a little less reluctance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Gerlad wrote: »
    He should have been left sing a few on his own as rough and ready as they are. McGowans opus and delivery are unique and even though he sounds dodge he still has all his faculties. He is/was a serious songwriter. Give me the work of the Pogues over u2, Aslan et al any day of the week.

Not sure about that, I don’t think he should have sang at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I did notice he stole Bobby Gillespie’s line about Shane being a ‘punk, poet, rebel, immigrant, outsider’. Was he too busy fawning over Martin O’Malley to come up with his own buzzwords?

‘INTRIGUING punk, poet of KINDNESS, BONKERS rebel’ :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Suckit wrote: »
    I had to lower the quality to upload it, so I'm not sure what it's like, about to find out when I post the link.
    I initially thought that she didn't know/forgot the lyrics, but it looks like a microphone issue.
    Anyway. Went to the pub. I wish there were teenagers or twentysomethings.. My pub was crammed with 50+.... :(

Here's the link Literally just uploaded it. So haven't watched it yet (on this)
    https://streamable.com/acknc

Have to confess it looked very much like PB didn't know the lyrics. If it was a problem with mic surely they would stop recording and gone again, it wasn't live. In either case be it PB or a tech issue it shows the ineptitude of the LLS production team. One of the things that came to the fore when Gay passed away recently was that he wasn't just a presenter, he was the shows producer. The buck started and stopped with him.

Having watched the show, although struggling physically Shane's very much mentally alert and aware so I feel sorry that his moment in spotlight was ruined. The FToNY performance could've been a special one. Even if Shane can't perform to the level of old, it did seem that he was singing that with heart and effort. If Imelda May had sang on that performance we'd all be talking about it for the right reasons.

On Tubridy, he just comes across fake. I just can't stand him. The man earning €500k a year telling people they need to be doing more for the homeless. Clearly reading cue cards for soundbytes, not being able to deal with adult guests going off script - remember Christy a few weeks back too. You seem him interviewing sports people and I genuinely believe he doesn't have an iota as to who they are or what they do. I think he's tried to make himself the star of the Toy Show. Even when asked those people who help the homeless to stand for an applause - it's like he thinks of himself as a head of state or something.

All in all, the LLs in its current form needs to be pulled. It's a badly produced, poorly presented, very expensive show trading on past glories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭xl500

nannerby wrote: »
    Why is this guy getting a tribute show??

In my opinion Shane wrote some of the greatest Songs

A pair of Brown Eyes, Rainy Night in Soho, Haunted, Lonesome Highway, Summer in Siam, That Womans got me Drinking, If I should fall from Grace with God and of course with Jem Fairytale of New York which are only a sample of his Songs

Unbelievable Lyricist

• Advertisement

Here’s Shane and Philomena’s performance again, in all it’s nightmarish glory (first video)...

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/1213/1099071-music-memories-as-late-late-celebrates-shane-macgowan/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

why does that ond Philomena get on show , she has been on it about 6 times in 2 / 3 years .

Minute I seen her sit down to sing I went "****" , She may have been a star , but she has been very poor her last few vocal outings.

Anyway a bit of a senior moment on Fairytale.

Besides that, show was kind of like a Shane song.

A pub, Drink, A poet , A few Stars, Politicians, Love, Death, Laughter, irony , a few ****s A mad old woman.

Ryan did very well.

Dont get that one Mary Clarke at all.

I enjoyed it with a heavy heart and a drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

wow just saw it, what a prick to even ask a man of that age to move

I hope Lisa went back over to him after filming to make sure he was ok.he seemed a bit down on himself and he was ushered out of the way before he could finish what he was saying.
    Hopefully he’s doing good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Just saw Shane singing with Philomena Begley. Well...he sang, she roared the wrong words out of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Here’s Shane and Philomena’s performance again, in all it’s nightmarish glory (first video)...

Seems like they didn't rehearse much, looked like Philomena was reading the lyrics from an autocue. They knew that the interview with Shane would be difficult to say the least, you think that they would have at least ensured the one song that everybody came to listen to was rehearsed and pitch perfect.

Given that it was pre record I'm not sure why they didn't do a second take, rather than have the song go out the way it did and have all the Twitter scum abusing a 77 year old woman for forgetting the words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

De Bhál wrote: »
    Begley better not be getting paid for that

None of them should be paid for that rubbish total waste of money no wonder RTE is broke.

• Advertisement

this country is gone PC daft.

You cant have anything in a pub.

It was basically a traditional session. Imagine saying you cant have that In a pub.

His best songs are set in a pub.

Daft talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I'd say they are under no pressure.
    Just because one or two perpetually outraged keyboard bashers need to get their daily dose of outrage off their chest.

If that's the case then there should be no more pub scenes in Fair City.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I'd say they are under no pressure.
    Just because one or two perpetually outraged keyboard bashers need to get their daily dose of outrage off their chest.

If that's the case then there should be no more pub scenes in Fair City.

Probably be politically incorrect to have an Irish wake soon.

One of our most celebrated life world contributions.

Probably be politically incorrect to have an Irish wake soon.

One of our most celebrated life world contributions.

We'll have to call it an Irish woke

• Advertisement

We'll have to call it an Irish woke

very good.

Honestly, these people need a good wake themselves.

Probably most daring thing they do is full fat milk in their frappatcinou.

or whatever its called.

Shane called it well "**** That".

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭no.8

nannerby wrote:
    An offensive Christmas song and singing drunk on the late late makes you a legend that's pretty much all he has done.what an utter waste of money.

Offensive? Take a hike nanner snowflake

Bob Harris wrote: »

Well I think the point was that given his own issues with alcohol it was a bit stupid to have the celebration in a pop up pub. Personally I would have had a bigger issue with the appropriate-ness of having Tubridy host the show.

Well I think the point was that given his own issues with alcohol it was a bit stupid to have the celebration in a pop up pub. Personally I would have had a bigger issue with the appropriate-ness of having Tubridy host the show.

A pub is not just about drink.

nannerby wrote: »
    None of them should be paid for that rubbish total waste of money no wonder RTE is broke.

You need to have a chat with yourself.
    You’re 2 days now bitching and moaning about macgowan and his “offensive” Christmas song.
    You’re words, not mine.
    Have you nothing else going on?
    Take up a sport or hobby where you can vent your obvious issues.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Newuseruntaken

Shane doesn’t have issues with alcohol, it’s just other people who have an issue with it.

The man has been an alcoholic his whole life, having a pop up pub in the studio will not have the slightest impact on his life. In fact if he was to give up alcohol at this stage it would probably be such a shock to his system it would probably kill him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

wow just saw it, what a prick to even ask a man of that age to move

The hangers on are usually bigger arseholes than the main artist.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    The hangers on are usually bigger arseholes than the main artist.

Agree.
    I didn’t like the way they moved him while he was talking and especially about something so serious.
    By the look of Lisa o neill I don’t think she was impressed by them moving him either.
    Fcuk it there was plenty daylight left in the day to let him finish his chat.
    I hope he’s doing well

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    We were promised Philomena Begly!

*throws glass*

:pac: :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

That sums up Tubridy at any time for me, tbh.

I didn't watch but I can just imagine Tubridy's discomfort throughout. He cannot relate to people, and so he cannot interview them, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Literally just watched Shane and Kirsty on TOTP 2 on Gold there now.

What a song.

Just wonderful.

Did anyone even drink those lousy looking pints on the table last night. If they did, I bet they are paying for it today.

PS. WM, great OP, up to your usual standards x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

+1 glen hansards biggest fan is Glen Hansard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Just saw the performance (for performance read "car crash") of "Fairytale of New York" on last night's LLS.

That's twice in the past few months that RTE have allowed people, who were well past their best, embarrass themselves on national TV. The last was Mary Black, who unfortunately, no longer has the voice. Don't get me wrong, but could somebody please tell her to stop. I'm a huge fan and I cringe for her when she tries to sing one of her classics but just can't any more.

This time it was Shane McGowan, a songwriter of the highest calibre and composer of one of the most iconic of Christmas songs. Mind you, he did a far better job than Philomena Begley (who's idea was she??) who clearly didn't know the song, which kinda shows where her head is (immersed in Irish country and western crap?).

At least if Shane wasn't at his best, they could have picked somebody who was familiar enough with the song that they could have gotten the words and timing right, let alone the melody. Any of about a hunderd pub-band female singers would have done a better job...at least they've sung the song a few hundred times, unlike, it seems, Ms Begley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus Glen Hansard would get in anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Shane doesn’t have issues with alcohol, it’s just other people who have an issue with it.

The man has been an alcoholic his whole life, having a pop up pub in the studio will not have the slightest impact on his life. In fact if he was to give up alcohol at this stage it would probably be such a shock to his system it would probably kill him.

So he's still on it? I read he went under full detox when he was in for the broken pelvis and has been sober since. I saw him pick up that luke warm pint of piss last night which I thought was odd. Didnt see him take a sup from it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Ronan Keating can breath a little easy now after philomenas shocker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Meanwhile Graham Norton has Hugh Grant, Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Hudson, Judi Dench

All of whom were on to sell a book/movie. Trotting out the same dull $hite...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Philomena wasn't out of it. I was talking to her up to when she went in. She had no drink but she was a ball if nerves.

To those wondering who's idea to have her on, it was Shane's.

Which is what I've been speculating all thread! Shane is a big fan of hers (Pair of Brown Eyes). She was a brilliant singer, in her day, but she is almost 80 years old now. A nice touch to have her on by Shane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

It's a pity there weren't more pogues there on the night. I know they had a brief video from cait and spider. The pogues were more than just Shane, they were a phenomenal band in their heyday,it would have been great to hear more of their memories instead of the likes of Sean O Shea, philomena and pat McCabe. Don't think the late Phil Chevron(thousands are sailing) or Frank Murphy were mentioned either. Tubridy was totally out of his depth trying to interview Shane, don't pretend to be in awe of the man and then cut him off anytime he tries to answer one of your questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sam Hain wrote: »

what a lazy choice, surely they could have got someone like Alison Moyet or Jacqui Abbott. Or even some female singer with a bit about them.

Shane specifically requested Philomena to appear

Advertisement