Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Shane Shane Show - Friday the 13th.(!) 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I get all that but giving out about the pub setting is just a pointless attempt at denying an integral part of Irish culture - good and bad.

It didn’t look anything like a pub it looked the crew had a few drinks the night before on the set and left all the sh*t after them.

My issue is that it looked like a god awful mess. A few chairs and small round tables with warm pints of Guinness on them does not make a pub setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Hoping to do a family just me showing tomorrow for a proper study,.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed your posts sligo, It was a great night for you and your children and friends xxx

I'm off to the land of no internet now, (yes, it does exist..), enjoyed the thread! Have a wonderful Christmas & NY LLS Boardies, especially Skid, Lisha, WM, Donie and all the rest of ye, happy happy days, mind yourselves, God bless from myself and lady grey, GSW X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Hoping to do a family just me showing tomorrow for a proper study,.

I enjoyed your posts sligo, It was a great night for you and your children and friends xxx

I'm off to the land of no internet now, (yes, it does exist..), enjoyed the thread! Have a wonderful Christmas & NY LLS Boardies, especially Skid, Lisha, WM, Donie and all the rest of ye, happy happy days, mind yourselves, God bless from myself and lady grey, GSW X[/quote]

Happy Christmas Grey(s)!

Please make sure to come back again sometime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Take care GSW.

Don't leave it so long this time.

Best wishes to you and yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

It didn’t look anything like a pub it looked the crew had a few drinks the night before on the set and left all the sh*t after them.

My issue is that it looked like a god awful mess. A few chairs and small round tables with warm pints of Guinness on them does not make a pub setting.

A lot of pubs are a god awful mess!

Most likely they had no budget after the toy show.
    Probably got the tables and chairs from the RTE canteen. Same place as most of the guests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Bob Harris wrote: »
    A lot of pubs are a god awful mess!

Most likely they had no budget after the toy show.
    Probably got the tables and chairs from the RTE canteen. Same place as most of the guests.

Should have used 'McCoys' set from Fair city, readymade pub setting.

I, not knowing it was pre-recorded thought Tubridy was going to mingle in the audience for a few unheard before...yarns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

What about that Jason Byrne set though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Hoping to do a family just me showing tomorrow for a proper study,.

I'm off to the land of no internet now, (yes, it does exist..), enjoyed the thread! Have a wonderful Christmas & NY LLS Boardies, especially Skid, Lisha, WM, Donie and all the rest of ye, happy happy days, mind yourselves, God bless from myself and lady grey, GSW X[/QUOTE]

All the best, GSW!

Have a good Christmas and New Year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I enjoyed the tribute but I still think this was the best documentary about Shane The Great Hunger from 1997, were you in this programmes Sligojek? :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

TG4 showing Shane live at Montreux from 1995 on Christmas Night/Stephens Day morning at 1am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Dick_Swiveller

MacGowan's wife is a bit of a looker.

Wtf is goin' on??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

MacGowan's wife is a bit of a looker.

Wtf is goin' on??

It’s almost like money attracts good looking women...

Wasn't she with him before he became famous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Was the Shane pub setting only part that was pre recorded?. Why was it prerecorded?

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

Poor old philomena begley

I thought she was responsible for that great version of blanket on the ground

It was actually Billie Jo spears I was.thinking of, her version butchered the song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

That Pat Shortt show is on there. I wonder will Philomena's performance be featured on it in a few years time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Wasn't she with him before he became famous?

The Pogues were well established by the time they got together as far as I know. Probably pre FTONY though.

Just replayed the show after a welcome famine of broadcast media when I was distracted by sunning myself in a harmlessly mild Fuerteventura, along with having lemurs on my shoulder trying to paw my mouth, parrots on my head, and a kiss from a camel. Followed by a rapturous welcome from the cat when I got home and undue attention from a neighbour’s Border Terrier.

Edit- In my mind I’m not yer home, and sipping the Duty Free Drambuie. So far a great show and I think Shane was delighted with it. Just thinking, it’s possible my late mother’s parents might ha r known Victoria Clarke’s folks-lived around the corner from Herbert Park and families stayed for years on that locale. I used to yawn and fall asleep at my mother’s account of every family on the Park as I was at times bored stiff at the lengthy details. Like me, she went on a bit. :D

A Pair of Brown Eyes is a great song. I had no idea MacGowan wrote it.

Navigator is my favorite- he didn't write it but sung it brilliantly

• Advertisement

Berserker5 wrote: »
    Navigator is my favorite- he didn't write it but sung it brilliantly

Kitty is another great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MIOtQ1Tcvk

She has a fantastic personality, apart from good looks. I really enjoyed her and her fellow celebrities in the Morocco trip featured in Virgin3. I’d love if they did more of these groups of celebs together on a holiday.

:D:D:D
    So many silver haired men with glistening foreheads and specs that may be from Sligo :D:D:D:D:D Difficult to pick just one :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

So many silver haired men with glistening foreheads and specs that may be from Sligo :D:D:D:D:D Difficult to pick just one :D:D:D

He was in the green room Cat.
    Keep up. :)

sligojoek wrote: »
    I hope you don't mind. I put a link to that on FB People in foreign climes are having trouble with the RTE Player.

I’m working backwards through the posts... with the sound of the instruments there lowered, you can actually HEAR Shane. Far, far, far too often singers are drowned out by RTE sound control people who get it so badly wrong.

Jeff2 wrote: »
    He was in the green room Cat.
    Keep up. :)

Sure wouldn’t I know.

Btw I was once in the Green Room with Gary Glitter, and nobody else in company. He didn’t touch a drop of alcohol, and kept his thickly wigged head in some reading matter. My polite instinct would be to say “good evening” but he wasn’t lending himself to it. He kept himself in the seat nearest the exit to the stairs down to reception and outside.

I enjoyed the tribute but I still think this was the best documentary about Shane The Great Hunger from 1997, were you in this programmes Sligojek? :)

I was around for the Tipperary filming of that. The scene where he sings "KItty" was filmed about 4 in the morning in the pub where I worked.
    TG4 showing Shane live at Montreux from 1995 on Christmas Night/Stephens Day morning at 1am.

The Popes. Great bunch o' lads. Poor ol' Tommy, the banjo player, died young and Paul, the guitarist, got hit by a car while out cycling. He suffered serious brain damage and is slowly getting better. Loads of material there for Tubbs.
    Was the Shane pub setting only part that was pre recorded?. Why was it prerecorded?

The whole show was pre-recorded.

My beard is grey but my hair is still about 95% original. You can see a few strands of grey on sunny days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

KaneToad wrote: »
    He's many things. Ignorant is not one of them.

I meant rude, and not stupid

Ya think tubs was bad ,ihad a look at the pk interview it was brutal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Twink has a bit to say on Shane in The Sun today..

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/tv/4889609/twink-blasts-rte-late-late-show-dishevelled-smelly-inarticulate-drunk-shane-macgowan/

Have to say, she was spot on...

This utter garbage about him being a genius...who in god’s name actually even half believes that?

walshb wrote: »

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/tv/4889609/twink-blasts-rte-late-late-show-dishevelled-smelly-inarticulate-drunk-shane-macgowan/

This utter garbage about him being a genius...who in god’s name actually even half believes that?

Trollbait I know but ya he's a genius

We had to go to England to get one which is funny

Twink giving out about her encounter with McGowan is too funny

She's meant to be hideous in person

He wrote this song and gave it to Ronnie Drew who done a commendable job, I think he's a brilliant songwriter, maybe a bit of a buffoon sometimes, but who isn't these days.

She says it was a full show it was half the show and we had the insufferable Jason Byrne among others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

How F**king stupid do you have to be to think that an entire show, a large following around the world, and in general quite a big kerfuffle being made over him - A Lifetime achievement award for his 60th, Winner of the *Ivor Novello Inspiration Award amongst other things, is just for ONE song?

Shane Macgowan will still be revered for decades after he is gone.
    Nobody will have a clue who Twink was the day after she dies. Maybe RTE will mention it on the news and Joe and Ryan will remember the time she did that funny thing :rolleyes:.
    Maybe thats her grumble. That Shane got a massive 60th with world renowned artists turning up, and she has to complain about something just to get noticed.

The 63rd Ivor Novello Awards honoured Shane MacGowan for his inspiring catalogue of songs, thanking him for sharing his songwriting gift over the years.
    Shane received The Ivors Inspiration Award – in recognition of the power of his songwriting to inspire the creative talents of others. In announcing the award, The Ivors recognised that ‘…MacGowan – a unique musical force in all sorts of ways – is unusual in that his poetic work also influenced his peers, and even iconic stars whose careers preceded his’. The award was presented by actor Aidan Gillen.
    Shane’s legacy of inspiring other songwriters is well documented, with The Clash’s Joe Strummer calling him “one of the best writers of the century” and Tom Waits declaring “Shane has the gift. I believe him. He knows how to tell a story”. Bob Geldof has said “The Pogues made great records and played great gigs, but the glory are the songs. This is what will last. Great words. Great music. Great art.”
    The Ivor Novello Awards celebrate and reward excellence in British and Irish songwriting and composing. Presented and judged by music creators they represent the pinnacle of musical achievement and peer recognition. The event took place on Thursday 31st May at Grosvenor House, Park Lane, London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That awful awful creature twink needs to learn when to stfu

Same clown was on promoting al porter as a replacement for graham norton last week....says it all.

She has the manners of a pig and the insight of a big Yule log.

She must be in desperate need of publicity lately. I guess her sugar daddy Rory cowen isn’t there to pay the bills any more. That ended well didn’t it Adele?....you showed up at his mothers funeral and he had to run you.

Shane McG has forgotten more talent than you ever ever ever had.

You were nothing more than a 4th rater in all your time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Suckit wrote: »

Shane Macgowan will still be revered for decades after he is gone.
    Nobody will have a clue who Twink was the day after she dies. Maybe RTE will mention it on the news and Joe and Ryan will remember the time she did that funny thing :rolleyes:.
    Maybe thats her grumble. That Shane got a massive 60th with world renowned artists turning up, and she has to complain about something just to get noticed.

Exactly.

They might play the clip where she made an entire show :pac: but it was just
    of herself... the Late Late 50th Anniversary Show :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭xl500

As i Said before

"In my opinion Shane wrote some of the greatest Songs

A pair of Brown Eyes, Rainy Night in Soho, Haunted, Lonesome Highway, Summer in Siam, That Womans got me Drinking, If I should fall from Grace with God and of course with Jem Fairytale of New York which are only a sample of his Songs

Unbelievable Lyricist"

WTF did Twink ever write only crap like this article but she always does this to get exposure she craves that like a junkie craves

Heres some of her achievements from her Wikipedia Page how could anyone take anything this woman says or does seriously

"Twink married oboist David Agnew in 1983 and had two children, Chloë in 1989, who sings with the group Celtic Woman,[2] and Naomi in 1993.

Twink's marriage ended after 21 years, in October 2004.[17] In 2006, David Agnew (aged 45) had a baby with clarinetist Ruth Hickey (29). This prompted an infamous phone call from King (54) to ex-husband Agnew.[18] She recorded a hostile message on his answering machine[19] which appeared afterwards on the internet. The recording contained coarse and abusive language, such as "zip up your mickey" (Irish slang for penis), and Twink insulted Hickey and the newborn infant, repeatedly calling them "whore" and "your whore's bastard" respectively. King went on to threaten Agnew with denial of contact with his daughters if photographs of his new family appeared in public.[20]

Twink described the Irish singer, Linda Martin, as a "****" during a tirade in May 2010. The two had been friends for 30 years but both said afterwards that they had no plans to speak to each other again.[21][22]

Twink has pet dogs, cats, birds, and a donkey.[17] She lives with her daughters in Knocklyon, Dublin.[10] In April 2015 it was reported that David Agnew and Adele King face a bid by the Bank of Scotland to repossess a house which is mortgaged in both their names. The application for possession against Ms King had already previously been adjourned by the court.[23]

In September 2014 it was widely reported across major Irish media outlets that Twink's dog, Teddy Bear, was kidnapped. Commenting on the events, Twink was quoted describing Linda Martin as being "a very powerful woman in the dog world"[24] and that the kidnapping marked her own personal "Erin Brockovich moment".[25] On 24 September Twink was reunited with her dog after a public tip-off led to the police arrest of a man in Dublin.[26]

• Advertisement

in fairness, she gave us this this classic. It's up there with Rainy Day in Soho

Washed up delusional miserable aul bag. Crawls out from under her rock at any opportunity. I've no doubt McGowan met her, and let her know what he thought of her probably just before she offered to drop to her knees for a bit of lip service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

It was ridiculous, the chap should be in a nursing home, so should the old dear who sat in the chair at the end

Think he has €30 odd million in the bank. Don't think he'll need admission to a nursing home at any stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Niall Boylan had a discussion of the appropriateness or otherwise of having the setting of the Late Late Show in a pub.

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-niall-boylan/the-late-late-show-shane-05yhiCqJY-P/

I seriously wonder if Joe Duffy might have been up on his high horse about this production if it had been carried by one of their competitors. And where was D'Arcy on this, nothing to say about it today on his show? RTE, only commenting on stories that do not affect the station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I was very late watching this show.

I enjoyed it, you could pick a lot of holes in it but it was something different and some of the music was good. Great to hear Sligojoek got behind enemy lines at the LLS!

If it pissed off Twink then it can't be all bad

I saw The Pogues twitter account link to this video today, it is Kirsty MacColl's anniversary and this was another collaboration she did with the Pogues for a Cole Porter charity album thing. RIP.

RIP Kirsty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Skid X wrote: »
    I was very late watching this show.

I enjoyed it, you could pick a lot of holes in it but it was something different and some of the music was good. Great to hear Sligojoek got behind enemy lines at the LLS!

If it pissed off Twink then it can't be all bad

I saw The Pogues twitter account link to this video today, it is Kirsty MacColl's anniversary and this was another collaboration she did with the Pogues for a Cole Porter charity album thing. RIP.

Kirsty sounds a lot like Marianne faithful on that video clip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The former Mrs Brown star said he felt inspired to come out and defend Shane as he had previously looked after The Pogues working as a marketing manager for EMI.
    “I was working with The Pogues when Fairytale Of New York came out.

"In the UK, the Pet Shop Boys were at number one but in Ireland at the same time, The Pogues were outselling The Pet Shop Boys 10 to one"

got on a lucky one there, Rory

EMI gets mentioned in every interview he does. Fairytale would have made No1 anyway. Does he think HE ALONE engineered FToNY's No1 place. I don't think so.

Did anyone notice, further down in the article, he's plugging the fact that he's signing copies of his new book in Eason's .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

EMI gets mentioned in every interview he does. Fairytale would have made No1 anyway. Does he think HE ALONE engineered FToNY's No1 place. I don't think so.

Did anyone notice, further down in the article, he's plugging the fact that he's signing copies of his new book in Eason's .

Plugging his new book you say Joe, scratch chin. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement