Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Vs Public Healthcare in Ireland

Options
  • 12-12-2019 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭

This question has occurred to me in response to someone else asking a question about moving to another country.

People say to get good healthcare here all you have to do is pay for private health insurance but there are a couple of huge problems with that.

1. When an ambulance has to be called they will not go to a private hospital so no advantage whatsoever to having private health insurance.

2. How do you keep paying the private health insurance when you become a pensioner and because the levelling has been done away with you end up paying 3 or 4k per year for it. If you haven't got enough money for the heating you're not going to keep paying the private health insurance.

But another question it brought up for me is let's say an ambulance is called for Leo Vadrakar? Does he end up in Tallaght A&E? Does he fcuk? So our politicians are not living in the real world. That right there is the reason why the problems in our health service are not getting solved.

Those in power never ever suffer what the rest of us do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Have a read on the "Rate my Hospital" site. These days private health care seems as bad ad public... And there are stars in both areas. Nothing to do with privilege

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Health care systems, does anyone know what to do with them!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Health care systems, does anyone know what to do with them!
    Whatever we do don't ask the Americans.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Private healthcare is relatively useless as access to it can still be blocked by a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 markjack98

I’m on the parent’s health insurance but

Had an emergency one night and ended up in a public A&E. Spent 12 hours waiting on doctor and was seen for a good 30 seconds and told to come back in 12 weeks.

Obviously not happy with the above so went to a private A&E once they opened the following morning. Was seen to in 5 minutes and emergency consultant sat with me for 40 minutes initially and then I was back and forward seeing him for the day.

At the end of the say he decided to refer me to a consultant for the issue I had. Got a next day appointment with him.

Went to his clinic and he decided to admit me to hospital. He called the ward and there was a private room waiting for me in 30 minutes. Was there for a week and ended up having surgery.

Had to go for a follow up in another private hospital the following week. I was due to be there for an hour. Ended up there for half the day and the nurse was in no rush at all, as far as I know I was her only patient that day.

6 weeks after that I got a letter in the post for an appointment in the public hospital 8 weeks later. For those 14 weeks I wouldn’t of been able to leave my house.

If it wasn’t for the private health insurance I probably would’ve ended up with severe depression. I’m thankful my parents had it and as soon as I turn 25, I’ll be buying it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

markjack98 wrote: »
    I’m on the parent’s health insurance but

Had an emergency one night and ended up in a public A&E. Spent 12 hours waiting on doctor and was seen for a good 30 seconds and told to come back in 12 weeks.

Obviously not happy with the above so went to a private A&E once they opened the following morning. Was seen to in 5 minutes and emergency consultant sat with me for 40 minutes initially and then I was back and forward seeing him for the day.

At the end of the say he decided to refer me to a consultant for the issue I had. Got a next day appointment with him.

Went to his clinic and he decided to admit me to hospital. He called the ward and there was a private room waiting for me in 30 minutes. Was there for a week and ended up having surgery.

Had to go for a follow up in another private hospital the following week. I was due to be there for an hour. Ended up there for half the day and the nurse was in no rush at all, as far as I know I was her only patient that day.

6 weeks after that I got a letter in the post for an appointment in the public hospital 8 weeks later. For those 14 weeks I wouldn’t of been able to leave my house.

If it wasn’t for the private health insurance I probably would’ve ended up with severe depression. I’m thankful my parents had it and as soon as I turn 25, I’ll be buying it myself.

Let's hope you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,985 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Private healthcare is relatively useless as access to it can still be blocked by a GP.

A GP is by definition part of the private healthcare system (paid for the govt if you're a medical card holder).

If you don't like what one says, consult another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,130 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Was sent by my doctor to a private A&E with suspected heart issues. Seen immediately. Battery of tests, in and out in 5 hours as thankfully the issue isn't dangerous at this time.

Knee problems, MRI in 2 days. Saw consultant, surgery the next week.

That's private healthcare, and why I pay for health insurance.

Under the public system it took 9 months to get a physio appointment and 15 months for an important diagnostic test. Hence the decision that good health insurance is essential. It's bloody expensive but I can't afford not to have it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Wibbs wrote: »

We just ask them to pay for all the new drug development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

It's hard to believe that there are still people out there that believe private health care doesn't matter. I hope they don't have to find out the hard way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭wassie

We just ask them to pay for all the new drug development.

We all pay as taxpayers via a health system, like most developed nations.

Whilst our Govt controls what we pay, America doesn't and the big pharma charges what it wants to the consumer, hence why their system is screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

martyoo wrote: »
    It's hard to believe that there are still people out there that believe private health care doesn't matter. I hope they don't have to find out the hard way.

Matter of principle for me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Wibbs wrote: »

that response can be applied to many different areas of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Graces7 wrote: »
    Have a read on the "Rate my Hospital" site. These days private health care seems as bad ad public... And there are stars in both areas. Nothing to do with privilege

People who are private patients will write off a private hospital over something petty like there not being enough food options.

I'm currently waiting for a heart check that should be quite urgent, but instead i'm left waiting months. If I could go private, i'd be seen in a day, so that option is far better that the public option.

GooglePlus wrote:
    I'm currently waiting for a heart check that should be quite urgent, but instead i'm left waiting months. If I could go private, i'd be seen in a day, so that option is far better that the public option.

Why can't you go private?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Why can't you go private?

I don't have the insurance nor the money to go private.

I've been told by 2 gps that my heartbeat is irregular and have been getting random skips in beat. One GP even wrote in to Vincent's again to see about getting an earlier appointment but that didn't help.

I plan on getting a health insurance plan in the new year but I can't make heads or tails of the plans available. I couldn't afford more than 1000 per annum.

GooglePlus wrote:

That's an absolutely disgraceful situation, nobody should be without adequate health care, because they can't afford it

The funny thing with insurance, it doesn't seem of value until you need to call on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

GooglePlus wrote: »

I've been told by 2 gps that my heartbeat is irregular and have been getting random skips in beat. One GP even wrote in to Vincent's again to see about getting an earlier appointment but that didn't help.

I plan on getting a health insurance plan in the new year but I can't make heads or tails of the plans available. I couldn't afford more than 1000 per annum.

You'll also be waiting for five years for cover for a pre-existing condition.

You'll also be waiting for five years for cover for a pre-existing condition.

Aye, now it's on record that I have a potential heart issue, so they won't want to touch me and if they did, they'll pull every string to reduce cover for what i'll actually eventually need it for.

• Advertisement

Maybe worth exploring this - In fairness I do not have a clear understanding myself so take it at face value only
    https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2019/1206/1097447-truths-about-eu-funded-health-schemes/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

markjack98 wrote: »
    I’m thankful my parents had it and as soon as I turn 25, I’ll be buying it myself.

The problem is that once you're in, it's very hard to back out. The health insurers have you over a barrel and can increase fees year on year. Try backing out and you lose the credit you've supposedly built up.

Health insurance is marketed like a pension scheme but in reality is sold like car or house insurance. It's a grave deception. Miss an annual payment to your pension and that's fine, you're just down a bit. Miss your health insurance for a year and try getting back in for the same price...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

BarryD2 wrote: »
    The problem is that once you're in, it's very hard to back out. The health insurers have you over a barrel and can increase fees year on year. Try backing out and you lose the credit you've supposedly built up.

Health insurance is marketed like a pension scheme but in reality is sold like car or house insurance. It's a grave deception. Miss an annual payment to your pension and that's fine, you're just down a bit. Miss your health insurance for a year and try getting back in for the same price...
    This is something the government managed particularly badly when introducing risk equalisation regulations.

People who had been members of a private health insurance scheme for most of their working life but may have had to break their membership for a period e.g. due to exiting a work related scheme due to job loss during the recession may as well never have had private health insurance when it came to rejoining at a later date.

Hard pressed pensioners who had given up their private health insurance when medical cards were given to all over 70 found themselves effectively priced out of private health insurance if they sought to rejoin a short few years later when their medical card eligibility was removed.

The governement of the day was quick enough to apply lifetime average to pensions to reduce future pension payments but seems to have been reluctant to apply the same principle to peoples access to private health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Hard pressed pensioners who had given up their private health insurance when medical cards were given to all over 70 found themselves effectively priced out of private health insurance if they sought to rejoin a short few years later when their medical card eligibility was removed.

Was this common?

Why would you give up health ins if you qualify for the GMS full med card?

They cover different things.

The GMS med card is used to pay for GP visits and pharma.

Health ins is mainly for hosps.

The whole point of health ins is to skip the queue.

If you have a GMS med card, you face a queue.

So they are not a replacement for each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,130 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Contrast that with my previous post. GP detected an issue, sent me straight to private hospital A&E as I had insurance. Seen straight away and all the tests I needed were done there and then.

It sucks that health insurance is necessary but it can save lives. My parents drilled it into us that health insurance was something we had to have when we started working. Some people can't afford to have it but can't afford not to have it either.

Would sooner not take out car insurance, park in front of the garda station and give the sergeant two fingers than not keep our health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

I was diagnosed with leukaemia in 2010, no private health insurance, taken straight away to St James, where i got the best care and attention, I honestly can't see how private health insurance would have been any better, the staff from the cleaners to the top doctors were amazing, i feel so lucky , thanks to them i'm here today. back there every 6 months and they still do their very best to make sure i'm ok. I have learned that when you go to hospital you need to be patent [excuse the pun] people seem to think they have the right to be seen straight away, they will see you if your in danger, just think there are hundreds at that hospital too on the day the staff can't see everyone the minute they walk through the door,. I realise people are left on trollies etc but when you have a government [whoever it may be at the time] seeing hospital wards closing but still giving money along with the lotto to the Gaa and now 5 million to RTE for the next 5 years it would make you think, to me Hospitals should come first along with treating the staff properly with pay and conditions, where would we be without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

Aye, now it's on record that I have a potential heart issue, so they won't want to touch me and if they did, they'll pull every string to reduce cover for what i'll actually eventually need it for.

You will have to serve the 5 year waiting period for treatment of a pre-existing condition (I understand that some of this can be waived in some circumstances - at the company's discretion). But the company (whatever one) cannot deny you any policy that is on offer to the public and they cannot apply any restrictions not listed generally in the policy (other than the 5 year wait).

https://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/waiting-periods/new-customer-waiting-periods

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

decky1 wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with leukaemia in 2010, no private health insurance, taken straight away to St James, where i got the best care and attention, I honestly can't see how private health insurance would have been any better, the staff from the cleaners to the top doctors were amazing, i feel so lucky , thanks to them i'm here today. back there every 6 months and they still do their very best to make sure i'm ok. I have learned that when you go to hospital you need to be patent [excuse the pun] people seem to think they have the right to be seen straight away, they will see you if your in danger, just think there are hundreds at that hospital too on the day the staff can't see everyone the minute they walk through the door,. I realise people are left on trollies etc but when you have a government [whoever it may be at the time] seeing hospital wards closing but still giving money along with the lotto to the Gaa and now 5 million to RTE for the next 5 years it would make you think, to me Hospitals should come first along with treating the staff properly with pay and conditions, where would we be without them.

Accute conditions like cancer it is the exact same, if you have a chronic condition that when you got value from private insurance. I have had treatment in both the public and private systems an the treatment is the exact same however in the private system i got a an ensuite private room in very nice calm hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Geuze wrote: »
    Was this common?

Why would you give up health ins if you qualify for the GMS full med card?

They cover different things.

The GMS med card is used to pay for GP visits and pharma.

Health ins is mainly for hosps.

The whole point of health ins is to skip the queue.

If you have a GMS med card, you face a queue.

So they are not a replacement for each other?
    I don't know if it was common but I do know of people who, weighing up their finances, either considered or did leave their private health insurance when the GMS card was given to all over 70.

The GMS memdical card does cover hospital treatment in addition to GP visits and pharma but a person would be on a public waiting list for any non-urgent treatment.

Private health insurance is useful for being seen quicklly for elective or non-urgent treatment or if a person wants a (not guaranteed) private room, but the medical treatment should be the same for private or public patients.

Advertisement