Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrrelstown - airplane noise and the lowdown

Options
  • 12-12-2019 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Im looking for info on Tyrrelstown as a place to live.

I've been there a couple of times and so far am liking it, however, airplane noise is a concern. Can anyone living there comment on how much it affects life there? It seems dublin airport plans a new runway and there might be a change to regulations on when planes can fly, including at night time. Any input on this would be great.

I read the articles on gangs etc but i dont think im buying that, but if anyone can give any positive/negative experiences they had living there that would be much appreciated.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Beezasp wrote: »
    Im looking for info on Tyrrelstown as a place to live.

I've been there a couple of times and so far am liking it, however, airplane noise is a concern. Can anyone living there comment on how much it affects life there? It seems dublin airport plans a new runway and there might be a change to regulations on when planes can fly, including at night time. Any input on this would be great.

I read the articles on gangs etc but i dont think im buying that, but if anyone can give any positive/negative experiences they had living there that would be much appreciated.

Cheers :)
    If you are concerned about aircraft noise and this is not a reflection of the area. Don’t live there, as it will be always in your subconscious. The same applies to Railways or Motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

You become nearly completely immune to it within a day or two. Hardly ever notice the planes unless you specifically listen out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Dunno what the sound insulation is like in Tyrrelstown buildings, but I'd say my experience is that you do get used to it. Just don't be one of these people who moves in and is then up on their residents FB group taking decibel readings and suggesting everyone complain about the noise. The airport is not an unknown feature to anyone considering buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭ra0044

It is a big estate, ifyou are looking at the Belgree / Mount Eustace side it will be noisier than the Curragh Hall / Beeling Village. There is a big difference. The flight path is really over the Le Cheile school and park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

I lived there for years and it was never a major problem. It's much less noisy than the likes of Portmarnock and Holystown. You will not even notice within a day or two.
    IMHO if you don't need to commute to work in the city then it is the best value for money area in Dublin - lots of schools, shops, sports clubs etc. Close to the city, Lots of jobs around. Great sized houses and the management companies seem to be getting better.
    Negatives -
    - when I left the bus into town at 7:30 could take over an hour (not sure if the bus to the luas has improved this)
    - Some areas have a lot of rented houses - this is decreasing as small landlords leave the market.
    - As the area is about 18 years old it has a lot of teenagers living there which social media thinks is a negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

AlanG wrote: »
    I lived there for years and it was never a major problem. It's much less noisy than the likes of Portmarnock and Holystown. You will not even notice within a day or two.
    IMHO if you don't need to commute to work in the city then it is the best value for money area in Dublin - lots of schools, shops, sports clubs etc. Close to the city, Lots of jobs around. Great sized houses and the management companies seem to be getting better.
    Negatives -
    - when I left the bus into town at 7:30 could take over an hour (not sure if the bus to the luas has improved this)
    - Some areas have a lot of rented houses - this is decreasing as small landlords leave the market.
    - As the area is about 18 years old it has a lot of teenagers living there which social media thinks is a negative.

I work weekend nights in Ttown and I have to say yes, there are gangs of teens hanging around the area at night but they have never caused an ounce of trouble in the year or so I've been working up there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I lived there maybe 10 years ago, and never once noticed the airplane noise

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭msdurden

I've rented and now own in Tyrrelstown, couple of my observations/opinions:

1. The plane noise is definitely more of an issue in some areas over others. I'm in Curragh Hall now, and I barely hear anything. A big factor here is the cheap windows/doors which also impacts heating during winter months.

2. For drivers, most of the houses I viewed had shared/ numbered parking spots which a lot of folks blatantly disregard - annoying when carrying heavy bags/shopping/kids.

3. The teenagers: not a huge issue where I am, but I see/hear them walking around in large groups of 15+ being annoyingly loud and playing music but I suppose that's normal for teenagers

4. Traffic: leaving the house between 830-920 is a nightmare because of the roundabouts, it takes about 20mins for what should be a 5min journey.

5. Local shops: Given the amount of people living locally and in Hollywood Rath etc the local shop selection is really not fantastic, there's no local pub or even a coffee/lunch shop. Ongar village is smaller but has a better selection.

The one thing I should have done before buying was talk to some of the neighbours, observe the comings/goings/plane noise/dogs etc - probably would have been arrested but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I wouldn't worry about plane noise. I live in Corduff so we get many planes going over every 3 minutes or so, doesn't bother me and hasn't for god knows how many years.
    Just wish i was on one getting out of here lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

For someone to make an average of 147 complaints per day (per the article). I would presume the individual concerned more than likely a obsessive compulsive personality .

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

One complaint literally every 10 mins 24 hours a day for the whole month to get that many in:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I think it was worked out in the aviation forum that the person was likely using a script to send automated complaints, as there were complaints about flights that didn’t operate as scheduled.

Just a crank.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Someone from Ongar. Ongar Ffs.

I live slightly closer to the flightpath than that lad or lady, and I might barely notice some departing flights early in the morning as I contemplate getting up in a silent bedroom, otherwise I'd fire more likely notice birdsong.

That kind of vexatious nuisance requires a prosecution and a serious fine or jail time.

Advertisement