Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deciding on whether to move to Dublin

Options
  • 12-12-2019 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone. I’m mulling over an offer of 65k in Dublin based in Blackrock. I’ll be moving with my wife only and looking to rent somewhere near work. Is it a good salary to move there? We don’t drink so maybe we can save some there.
    Also I’d be grateful if anyone could recommend areas where we could look for apartments. I mean which areas should I look for in Daft to make sure I can live there and commute via the Dart easily. No issue with loving further out of it means cheaper rent but max 30 min commute.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I spend about 65k on coffee in black rock each year.

Only joking coffee and gym fees.

Baku2019 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I’m mulling over an offer of 65k in Dublin based in Blackrock. I’ll be moving with my wife only and looking to rent somewhere near work. Is it a good salary to move there? We don’t drink so maybe we can save some there.
    Also I’d be grateful if anyone could recommend areas where we could look for apartments. I mean which areas should I look for in Daft to make sure I can live there and commute via the Dart easily. No issue with loving further out of it means cheaper rent but max 30 min commute.

65k is a decent salary but you need 2 decent salaries to get by in Dublin. Rent is out of control, especially around the areas you mentioned. Traffic is generally horrific everywhere most of the time. Buying property is a no go for most.

If things are good outside Dublin, I’d probably give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Will your wife be working?
    If so what's her salary range?

Are you looking/hoping to save for a mortgage anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Baku2019

Will your wife be working?
    If so what's her salary range?

Are you looking/hoping to save for a mortgage anytime soon?

No she won’t be working immediately. She’s hoping to give dental exams so that’s probably going to take a while. And no I’m not looking to save for a mortgage anytime soon. How much should one save up before a mortgage is possible btw? I’m going to be having around 40k in savings when I eventually move.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Have a Look in Bray, 30 mins or so on the Dart, and rents are more reasonable, anywhere near Blackrock/Dún Laoghaire will be crazy money

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

€65k is about €3,500 after tax. It's definitely doable if you're willing to commute 30 minutes. If you're struggling on the south side have a look at Clontarf, Killester, Raheny and Fairview on the north side. It's about 30 minutes by dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-rppi/residentialpropertypriceindexapril2019/housepricesbyeircode/#

The CSO just released stats that Blackrock is the most expensive Eircode district in the country so living there wouldn't be advisable unless you were earning €100k+ in my opinion. A 30 minute commute either way on the DART line would be very manageable and would enable you to find locations like above that have much cheaper rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Blackrock is beautiful the rent not so much look at Bray for accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

uch wrote: »
    Have a Look in Bray, 30 mins or so on the Dart, and rents are more reasonable, anywhere near Blackrock/Dún Laoghaire will be crazy money

Very good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Tusky wrote: »
    €65k is about €3,500 after tax. It's definitely doable if you're willing to commute 30 minutes. If you're struggling on the south side have a look at Clontarf, Killester, Raheny and Fairview on the north side. It's about 30 minutes by dart.

4K after tax as his wife isn't working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Why not live literally anywhere else and have waaay more disposable income? Dublin is eating itself. It's always been a sh!thole and it's only getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Baku2019 wrote: »
    No she won’t be working immediately. She’s hoping to give dental exams so that’s probably going to take a while. And no I’m not looking to save for a mortgage anytime soon. How much should one save up before a mortgage is possible btw? I’m going to be having around 40k in savings when I eventually move.

In general: 10% of the price of the house for your deposit + 1% for stamp duty + legal fees + money to kit out the house.

Where would you be moving from?
    MadYaker wrote: »
    Why not live literally anywhere else and have waaay more disposable income? Dublin is eating itself. It's always been a sh!thole and it's only getting worse.

Stupid post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

MadYaker wrote: »

Not at all true. I have lived in many places in Ireland and overseas but I love Dublin. So many positives

Advertisement