Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Xbox Series X

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Seems all games playable on Xbox One will be playable on the new Xbox from day one

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-series-x-will-support-backwards-compatibility/1100-6472261/

So it's Backwards compatible with Xbox One games and then any OG Xbox and 360 games that were made BC on the One.

So you're telling me it can play Ninja Gaiden Black and therefore as a result of that amazing game is better than anything currently on the PS4?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Seems all games playable on Xbox One will be playable on the new Xbox from day one

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-series-x-will-support-backwards-compatibility/1100-6472261/

So it's Backwards compatible with Xbox One games and then any OG Xbox and 360 games that were made BC on the One.

As a person who loves sony its interesting how backwards compatibility is far more important to me than whatever specs the Xbox series x will have. I still think Scarlet was simply a much better name

• Registered Users Posts: 29,103 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As long as they have BC with the current gen, at least, it's a good thing. It means people with the current gen can trade in their consoles for the new one and still have games to play.
    Like I know I'll get through all my PS4 games by the time the PS5 is released but if there's a good trade-in deal I can trade in and still play them while the PS5 library builds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

TitianGerm wrote: »
    No 2TB version of the X as far as I'm aware? I would have thought anyone with an ounce of common sense would know what an "All Digital" console involved?

Edit: pro controller is a Nintendo controller. No wonder they were confused.

Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Eh no need to be so dismissive of my opinion. Currently I feel the Xbox whatever needs a USP to sell it, some Mario 64/Halo level game to make it more appealing. So you are totally wrong as I've already played AC7. AC8 would be a better USP and I'd be there day 1 :pac:

It's Microsoft, so they'll probably skip numbers, so it's the Xbox AC X that you'd be lusting for!

With the optional extra dog.jpg skin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I want the Ace Combat 6 skins back

27350-216481-1.jpg

These offer a truly tactical advantage in combat.

The enemy will have a hard time pulling their trigger finger knowing that you've gone through life having never experienced the touch of a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The naming is smart enough. It's just the "Xbox" platform. And then they can release a bunch of variants. This is series X, they will do a diskless version, a 1080p version, a cloud version, a streaming App on pc/switch/smart tv etc. and not have to worry about splitting player bases as everyone can play on multiple places.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Digital Foundry have an article up on why it's shaped like it is, and echos my thoughts on this thread, it's all about the thermals.
    Part of the problem is that processor fabrication technology has not increased in step with Microsoft's ambitions. Assuming it's an accurate image, the 7nm chip we saw back at E3 is roughly the same physical size as the 16nm chip seen in the X - likely a touch larger. Transistor density is unlikely to have doubled, meaning that the primary route forward for increased performance is frequency - and lots of it. Increasing clock-speeds gets more performance and therefore more value from the silicon, but the harder you push, the more power you need. And the more power you need, the more heat you produce - necessitating innovation in terms of thermal dissipation.

And that's almost certainly why the Xbox Series X is so large.

Article here.

I can't wait to see what Sony come up with for PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That article is bull****. The writer is clueless.

Double the power consumption of the x? Not a chance. No console in history has drawn more than 200w and that is not going to change with the next gen. 1X is 175w. Series X will be under 200w.

The 12TF number being touted is FP16, not FP32. The writer seems oblivious to the difference. All previous consoles use FP16 as bigger numbers sound better. A 5700xt is around 10 teraflop FP32, 20 FP16. The 5700 is 8Tflops FP32, 16Tflops FP16.

This would put the new console gpu somewhere around 25% slower than a radeon 5700 non xt. Probably cut down and down clocked to get the power consumption down from 170w to around 100w.

An 8 core/ 16 thread Ryzen gen 3 down clocked to get it to around 50-60w. Leaving about 40-50w for the rest of the system.
    Part of the problem is that processor fabrication technology has not increased in step with Microsoft's ambitions. Assuming it's an accurate image, the 7nm chip we saw back at E3 is roughly the same physical size as the 16nm chip seen in the X - likely a touch larger. Transistor density is unlikely to have doubled, meaning that the primary route forward for increased performance is frequency - and lots of it. Increasing clock-speeds gets more performance and therefore more value from the silicon, but the harder you push, the more power you need. And the more power you need, the more heat you produce - necessitating innovation in terms of thermal dissipation.

The IPC uplift from jaguar to Ryzen gen 3 is well over +75%. Combine that with a small bump in clockspeed and you get your doubling of CPU power. The guy is clueless. This is easily available information with a quick google.

I've seen several of these "tech experts" blow the specs out of proportion because they don't understand it. As it stands getting an 8/16 ryzen gen 3 and downclocked 5700 or 5600 equivalent card with a fast PCIE4 SSD for €500 is a bargain, even by next Christmas. I don't know why they keep trying to inflate the specs beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Nearly every console ever has had to be designed with heat dissapation in mind,not really that surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Where would you put it though? Its an awful looking thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

That article is total dung. Ryzen mobile Gen3 is massively more powerful than the old solution in current consoles at the same power draw so all the talk about transistors and frequencies is total waffle from a clueless idiot. There's no real reason to believe the Xbox will draw that much more than the x while being twice as powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If some Photoshop wizard could scale the photos so the controllers are the same size it'd give a good idea of console size.
    marcbrophy wrote: »
    I'm sure some scientician is on is as we speak :D

Hadn't seen anyone attempt it, so i did a quick thing in MS Paint. Controllers are roughly the same size now. Systems appear to be similarly sized, height wise.

498060.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Where would you put it though? Its an awful looking thing.

I think it looks fantastic. Will stand perfectly next to the subwoofer.

Advertisement