Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Income Tax

Options
  • 13-12-2019 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I changed jobs during the summer for a new higher salary job. I returned to my old job after two months. However since I've returned I've been paying very high income tax. Initially I thought this was because I didn't have a letter of tax credits from revenue, but since I have this I'm still paying a high rate with the last three months payslips. It's not listed as emergency tax on my payslip just higher tax. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Are you on Week1 / Month 1 basis since you returned to the old job?
    Are you sure the other job was ceased on ROS and are all credits and cut off allocated back to the original job?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CharlieB19

Stratvs wrote: »
    Are you on Week1 / Month 1 basis since you returned to the old job?
    Are you sure the other job was ceased on ROS and are all credits and cut off allocated back to the original job?

Yes back to first month status. Other job has ceased on revenue.

CharlieB19 wrote: »
    Yes back to first month status. Other job has ceased on revenue.

M1 could be the reason. If you were cumulative originally then any unused standard rate cut-off point would carry forward. On M1 if you're over the monthly COP then you'd have higher rate on the excess. Ultimately if your gross pay for the year from all employments is under the cumulative COP and if you've had higher rate on some M1 months then you'd be due a refund after year end.
    The employer unfortunately has to use the instruction given on your return and M1 often happens later in the year after changing employments.

Your 2020 cert will be on ROS now, check that to see it's returned to cumul from 01/01

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CharlieB19

Thanks very much for all your help. I've checked my tax credit certs and the amended one for 2019 says Month 1 basis. However 2020 says cumulative. Is it worth submitting a p50 to claim the tax back in the new year? Or just wait for revenue to refund? Thanks again.

Thanks very much for all your help. I've checked my tax credit certs and the amended one for 2019 says Month 1 basis. However 2020 says cumulative. Is it worth submitting a p50 to claim the tax back in the new year? Or just wait for revenue to refund? Thanks again.

P50s / online unemployment claims can't be done when you are actually in employment only when unemployed. In any case it's so close to year end now that early in Jan 2020 Revenue will be doing prelim 2019 statements to your MyAccount inbox and if there is any net excess tax paid you can reclaim it then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gerrykeegan

If you are registered with my account then on the 15th of January you will get a preliminary statement from Revenue. This will indicate if you are owed any tax. Complete a form 12 and any refund will be processed

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭raymick

Hi I was offered a good job better than the one I’m in at the moment. So I took a week off from my job for personal reasons as I just needed to see if the other job was for me, however after the first few days it is not how does this effect my income tax, I don’t want my boss to know I was thinking of leaving but I presume the new one will apply for a tax certificate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

raymick wrote: »
    Hi I was offered a good job better than the one I’m in at the moment. So I took a week off from my job for personal reasons as I just needed to see if the other job was for me, however after the first few days it is not how does this effect my income tax, I don’t want my boss to know I was thinking of leaving but I presume the new one will apply for a tax certificate

Don’t open pls threads start a new!

If you haven’t given your p45 to your new job how do you think they have applied for tax cert for you. It’s normally up to you to notify revenue of the change anyway.

Had you signed contract with new employer? I’d be more concerned about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭raymick

No I haven’t signed anything neither did I give any notice to my employer, just wondering how I get paid for the week I have just done

No I haven’t signed anything neither did I give any notice to my employer, just wondering how I get paid for the week I have just done

You will be on Emergency Tax. Presumably they asked for your PPSN.
    If your existing job continues then your credits would stay there unless you request an alteration. If your week off was without pay then you'd have 2 weeks credits/cut-off against the next pay day there.

Employers only see what's allocated to them in credits/cut-off. There is no reason why the existing employer would see anything to do with that one other week elsewhere.
    If you haven’t given your p45 to your new job how do you think they have applied for tax cert for you. It’s normally up to you to notify revenue of the change anyway.

P45s are gone since 2019. The employee can commence the job in MyAccount. Also, the employer will Revenue of new EE PPSN when doing their payroll run and a Revenue Payroll Notification (RPN) will issue. If they are still registered at another job then that RPN will be "nil" credits/cut-off. So basically top rate tax/usc on all earnings.
    Don’t open pls threads start a new!

Agreed, I was reading down original posts until realised it was from 2019.

• Advertisement
Advertisement