Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit & Credit card use in USA

Options
  • 13-12-2019 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

My wife went to the US yesterday for a few days. She took some dollars but not enough to last the trip.
    Is there still a need to inform the bank about travel plans to avoid the cards being stopped by the anti-fraud dept. for what turn out to be legitimate transactions?

I think I was told the last time I rang about travel, that the new system is to send a text asking to verify a foreign tx, negating the need to tell the bank each time you travel.

Is this the case now, or do I need to get onto the bank before she's stranded over there with useless cards? (as happened to me a few years ago)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi milltown

Thanks for checking your banking questions with us here today.

Although we no longer require travel notice from our customers, we would ask that your email and phone number are up to date prior to travelling in case we need to check any withdrawals / purchases on your card.

As our Security Card Team actively monitor customer cards, it is possible they may need to make contact. This is generally by SMS whereby the Team will ask if you recognise a transaction and to reply back Yes or No. They may also make contact by email or phone call.

Just to also mention, if your wife has any difficulties with her card, our Security Team can be contacted from abroad on 00353 14885466 and will be happy to help and resolve. The Team are available 24/7.

We hope the above information helps, any further questions please feel free to get back in touch.

Many thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Tow

What is the current daily ATM limit for a BOI card in America?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

Hi Tow,

Thanks for linking in with us here on Baords.ie.

When using your card abroad you may be restricted to a lower ATM limit depending on the country and ATM type that you use. The ATM limit in the US tends to be approx. €250 (equivalent in Dollars) per day. This does not affect point of sale (POS) transactions.

Here is a link to our website regarding hints and tips for traveling abroad with you card that may be of interest to you.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/ways-to-bank/mobile-banking/mobile-app/travelling-abroad/

Many thanks,
    Kat

Advertisement