If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony STR-DN1040 - 4K passthrough

Options
  • 13-12-2019 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I purchased a  Sony STR-DN1040 a few years ago (2014 or 2015 I think) from you and I was advised at the time to go for that model as it has the 4K passthrough.

Well I only now got a 4K TV and the passthrough does not work as far as I can see.

Any 4K signal that goes in via HDMI into the 3 ports on the amp that support 4K all result in a 1080p image.

The settings on the amp seems minimal, I cannot see any settings related to passthrough to enable.

Would any of you know if this is just a setting or is the 4K support on these amps not working?

Regards,

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Hi,

I purchased a  Sony STR-DN1040 a few years ago (2014 or 2015 I think) from you and I was advised at the time to go for that model as it has the 4K passthrough.

Well I only now got a 4K TV and the passthrough does not work as far as I can see.

Any 4K signal that goes in via HDMI into the 3 ports on the amp that support 4K all result in a 1080p image.

The settings on the amp seems minimal, I cannot see any settings related to passthrough to enable.

Would any of you know if this is just a setting or is the 4K support on these amps not working?

Regards,
    Hey Mr Freeze.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your setup.

The 1040 is capable of passing through a 4K signal but to do this all items in the setup must be 4K ready.

Are all your cables 4K  2.0 or higher, as if they are not it can cause it to drop to the highest bandwidth the cable can carry.
    I know it wont be able to pass through 4K HDR as this requires 2.0a and the 1040 is only 2.0
    The older Full HD cables can not carry a 4K signal and this would result in a 1080p image getting displayed.

What is the source that you are feeding into the Sony? 

I don't think there is anything option to change the resolution on the pass through. It usually just passes through the signal its supplied.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Hi,

Regards,
    Hey Mr Freeze.

The 1040 is capable of passing through a 4K signal but to do this all items in the setup must be 4K ready.

Are all your cables 4K  2.0 or higher, as if they are not it can cause it to drop to the highest bandwidth the cable can carry.
    I know it wont be able to pass through 4K HDR as this requires 2.0a and the 1040 is only 2.0
    The older Full HD cables can not carry a 4K signal and this would result in a 1080p image getting displayed.

I don't think there is anything option to change the resolution on the pass through. It usually just passes through the signal its supplied.

Sorry I should have stated that the TV is a Sony XF9005 and all that is connected is an XBOX ONE X.

Both HDMI cables are new high speed cables that support 2.2.

If I hook the ONE X to the TV directly, it does 4K. If I put that same cable into any of the 3 HDMI ports that are labelled 4k on the amp, its only a 1080p signal that is sent to the TV.

Ya, I didn't expect it to send HDR as there is no mention of that at all in the documentation but it says it supports 4K passthrough.

PS: I bought those monitor audio speakers from ye last month that you recommended and they are great so far.

Hi,

Regards,
    Hey Mr Freeze.

Sorry I should have stated that the TV is a Sony XF9005 and all that is connected is an XBOX ONE X.

If I hook the ONE X to the TV directly, it does 4K. If I put that same cable into any of the 3 HDMI ports that are labelled 4k on the amp, its only a 1080p signal that is sent to the TV.

Ya, I didn't expect it to send HDR as there is no mention of that at all in the documentation but it says it supports 4K passthrough.

PS: I bought those monitor audio speakers from ye last month that you recommended and they are great so far.
    Hi Mr Freeze.

I've been trying to do some searching online and get very mixed answers myself.
    Some are saying its because the 1040 is not 2.2 and can not decode the signal from the XBox as it is 2.2. However I can' confirm this myself.

You could try contacting Sony directly in case there is something that I'm not aware of. Sony's tech team usually know their products inside out or have access to any information that might be required.

Even though its out of warranty if you wanted to ship it to us here at the Belfast store we could have a check over it for you.
    If it was faulty we couldn't offer to fix it unfortunately as we don't have an engineers at the store but at least you might have piece of mind regarding it.
    We would of course ship it back to you again free of charge.

Hi,

Regards,
    Hey Mr Freeze.

Hi Mr Freeze.

Some are saying its because the 1040 is not 2.2 and can not decode the signal from the XBox as it is 2.2. However I can' confirm this myself.

You could try contacting Sony directly in case there is something that I'm not aware of. Sony's tech team usually know their products inside out or have access to any information that might be required.

Even though its out of warranty if you wanted to ship it to us here at the Belfast store we could have a check over it for you.
    If it was faulty we couldn't offer to fix it unfortunately as we don't have an engineers at the store but at least you might have piece of mind regarding it.
    Thanks for the offer.

I might check with Sony, do you have a link to their support, save me looking and make sure I go to the right sony support.

I have a workaround now with the reciever, not as neat as using the pass through would have been and am stuck with only 5.1 for some reason 7.1 won't work via arc.  

I will just have to upgrade the amp in time to get the most from the new speakers, when that times comes you can recommend me one. I take it there are proper 4k HDR\Dolby Vision ones now, passthrough isn't something I would have to worry about.

Hi,

Regards,
    Hey Mr Freeze.

Hi Mr Freeze.

Thanks for the offer.

I might check with Sony, do you have a link to their support, save me looking and make sure I go to the right sony support.

I have a workaround now with the reciever, not as neat as using the pass through would have been and am stuck with only 5.1 for some reason 7.1 won't work via arc.  

I will just have to upgrade the amp in time to get the most from the new speakers, when that times comes you can recommend me one. I take it there are proper 4k HDR\Dolby Vision ones now, passthrough isn't something I would have to worry about.
    Hey Mr Freeze.

The following link is for Sony.ie
    https://services.sony.ie/supportmvc/en/Contact/Email?cpint=spt-footer_contact
    You can chat live via that link.

Or their contact details for phone are,
    [url=tel:014073341]+353 (0) 14073341[/url]
    Opening hours:
    Monday to Friday: 09:00 - 18:00

There are plenty of current amps that will work no issues.
    I use a Denon 2500 at home but have always toyed with getting the STRDN1080.

Let me know when the time comes and I'l try to work you out the best deal possible.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Regards,
    Hey Mr Freeze.

Hi Mr Freeze.

Thanks for the offer.

Hey Mr Freeze.

Opening hours:

Let me know when the time comes and I'l try to work you out the best deal possible.
    Thanks will contact them now.

Will look up the STRDN1080 at some stage, the 1040 has been great up until now.

Hi,

Regards,
    Hey Mr Freeze.

Hi Mr Freeze.

Thanks for the offer.

Hey Mr Freeze.

Opening hours:

Hey Mr Freeze.

Let me know what they say.

Hi,

Regards,
    Hey Mr Freeze.

Hi Mr Freeze.

Thanks for the offer.

Hey Mr Freeze.

Opening hours:

Hey Mr Freeze.

The STR-DN1040 does not support HDCP 2.2.

Thats the issue, if I had 4K equipment back when I purchased the amp it would have been fine as it would have been using 1.4 but it doesn't cut it these days as everything I have is 2.2.

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi,

Regards,
    Hey Mr Freeze.

Hi Mr Freeze.

Thanks for the offer.

Hey Mr Freeze.

Opening hours:

Hey Mr Freeze.

The STR-DN1040 does not support HDCP 2.2.

Thats the issue, if I had 4K equipment back when I purchased the amp it would have been fine as it would have been using 1.4 but it doesn't cut it these days as everything I have is 2.2.
    Hi Mr Freeze,

Kenny is off today so I hope you don't mind me replying on his behalf.

That sounds about right, a lot of the early 4K amps wouldn't support HDCP2.2 HDR content.

Let me know if you are looking to upgrade to the STRDN1080!

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.