Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start?

Options
  • 13-12-2019 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Recently got a Hive heating system installed in the house and really like the convenience and functionality of it. It's now forced me to rethink smart home items which I had dismissed before as a little, well, gimmicky.

I'd like to have a couple of smart lights around the place, and know the most convenient thing to do would be to buy a couple of Hive bulbs but I'm familiar with Xiaomi phones (have had many) and like the look of their home kit. I've also looked into Sonoff wifi light switches which sound like a really nice idea.

The first thing I'd like is for the bedroom light to come on gradually at a certain time in the morning to make the dark mornings that bit easier. Next thing would be, maybe, the hall light to come on when it's dark outside and a motion sensor triggered. Smart bulbs can do a lot but how does it work the physical light switch then?!

So, given the above, where does one begin?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Fabio wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Recently got a Hive heating system installed in the house and really like the convenience and functionality of it. It's now forced me to rethink smart home items which I had dismissed before as a little, well, gimmicky.

I'd like to have a couple of smart lights around the place, and know the most convenient thing to do would be to buy a couple of Hive bulbs but I'm familiar with Xiaomi phones (have had many) and like the look of their home kit. I've also looked into Sonoff wifi light switches which sound like a really nice idea.

The first thing I'd like is for the bedroom light to come on gradually at a certain time in the morning to make the dark mornings that bit easier. Next thing would be, maybe, the hall light to come on when it's dark outside and a motion sensor triggered. Smart bulbs can do a lot but how does it work the physical light switch then?!

So, given the above, where does one begin?

Thanks all!

I have those functions set up with Hue lights... The sensors are great, and really gives lots of options to set them up in creative ways. Hue are slightly more expensive than some other systems, but relatively stable, easy to get your hands on and lots of options.

Advertisement