Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble Undoing Bootcamp

Options
  • 13-12-2019 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭

I used BootCamp assistant a few months ago to set up a partition on my MacBook Pro to install Windows. I used it for about a day and haven't booted it into Windows since. Storage space is filling up on my hard drive so I used BootCamp assistant again a few days ago to delete the partition to try and restore the 50GB I wasn't using. I'm not sure exactly what happened but now it appears to have done a half-job on it. I can't boot into Windows and can't see the Windows partition in Disk Utility, but the 50GB remains inaccessible. When I go into partition settings I can see the 50GB as "free space":

49213814882_236ee9d784.jpg

but when I try to delete it/merge it with the rest of the hard drive -

49213814372_0df19222b8.jpg

I get this error/operation failed message:

49213157108_30fe2f506b.jpg

As you may be able to tell from my explanation of things, I haven't a f*cking clue what I'm doing so any help or advice in unlocking that storage space would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

You’d be more likely to get proper help and answers over on the Mac forum of boards. This part of the site is only about discussing Apple’s iOS, watchOS and tvOS devices,

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=108

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

duridian wrote: »
    You’d be more likely to get proper help and answers over on the Mac forum of boards. This part of the site is only about discussing Apple’s iOS, watchOS and tvOS devices,

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=108

Oh, thanks for the heads up. Presumed that Consumer Electronics -> Apple Devices was pretty specific, but apparently not enough so. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I agree. I reckon Boards should make the name of this forum more clear, possibly specify iOS, watchOS and tvOS in the title, or maybe make it a sticky at the top of the forum.

As a lot of people use them as their personal home computer of choice - and not only in a professional capacity, to me Apple Devices, under a heading of Consumer Electronics, to me would certainly sound like it included Macs and Macbooks if I hadn't previously been pointed toward the Mac forum in Operating Systems area of Boards.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It should be all put into one, all Apple products. I’ve suggested it before, but nothing changes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This forum used to be called Apple Media Devices but was renamed Apple Devices to be consistent with the Android Devices forum. "Media Devices" is still somewhat ambiguous and I would have preferred "Apple Mobile Devices" but it was clearer than "Apple Devices". I objected to this at the time and also tried to get the tagline of both here and the Mac forum changed to accurately reflect the content of the forums without any success. I also tried to get the Mac forum moved out of the Operating System sub-category, again without any success.

The mods here used to move Mac threads to the Mac forum but stopped doing so years ago despite me repeatedly reporting posts asking them to do so. I can only assume therefore that they feel Mac threads are fine here. Or they just aren't active and don't care. In fairness, it's not just here. The whole Tech category needs to be looked at, new mods added etc. But there's only one fairly inactive Cmod over the Tech section so it's difficult to get these issues addressed but I'll try again at some point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement