Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a mobile phone as hotspot

Options
  • 13-12-2019 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I have a holiday home that's a bit remote so I don't have any wifi in it and don't have the need to pay for a subscription either

However I would like to have a couple of the lights and lamps to be able to control remotely and also a heater to be able to turn on before I get there

Can I use a mobile phone and turn on the wifi hotspot and use this instead and leave it up there plugged in on charge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Hi all, I have a holiday home that's a bit remote so I don't have any wifi in it and don't have the need to pay for a subscription either

However I would like to have a couple of the lights and lamps to be able to control remotely and also a heater to be able to turn on before I get there

Can I use a mobile phone and turn on the wifi hotspot and use this instead and leave it up there plugged in on charge?

You could just buy a router that takes a SIM card, would be more efficient

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

You could just buy a router that takes a SIM card, would be more efficient

Can you recommend any?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Can you recommend any?

No sorry I've never used one myself but I saw there were a good few people in the GOMO thread on about using them for that exact purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Have a look for HUAWEI B593 router. It has a sim slot on it and will do the job nicely. There are others but this is one I have used for a similar purpose. A phone used as a hotspot will need a reboot every now and then.

great thanks for all the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

great thanks for all the info

One thing to watch out for, is some.of these devices only allow a limited number of devices to to connect at the same time, sometimes that limit is just 5 devices. I think typically they are the smaller devices with battery etc that are designed to be portable (like the o2 mifi device).

Go for a fully kitted out router that needs power and also has ethernet ports.

Sorry,.dont use these devices so not familiar.with part numbers and specs etc, just know that some of them are restricted on the wifi side.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If it’s for use in a remote location then I’d recommend putting the plug on a timer and letting it reset every day, just a 5 minute will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Most vendors call them 'travel routers' search for 'travel router with sim'

here is a good and very cheap option and has no user limit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DWR-921-Unlocked-Broadband-Ethernet-Black/dp/B00BN36NMM/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=%27travel+router+with+sim%27.&qid=1576332941&s=computers&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sr=1-4

ted1 wrote: »
    If it’s for use in a remote location then I’d recommend putting the plug on a timer and letting it reset every day, just a 5 minute will do.

Even if it’s a router?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Even if it’s a router?

Yes. If it acts up a reboot will solve it , also in the past we had issues with remote modems using SIMs, eventually the network operator said this a mast gets busy they’ll kick off SIMs that have been constantly connected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Even if it’s a router?

If you have orphaned live connections they may use up all your mobile data. For your windows machines also make sure they do not apply updates over 'metered connections'.

Advertisement