Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uPVC door frame flexing

Options
  • 13-12-2019 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

Hopefully this is in the correct section and that somebody can advise me, thanks in advance.

Got new uPVC doors and windows fitted last year. With the weather getting much colder lately I've noticed that the corners of the rear glazed door aren't sitting as tightly against the seals as the rest of the door.

On bottom and top corners of the opening side of the door, when closed, a slight breeze can be felt. This breeze can't be felt aound the rest of the door. The gaps in these corners aren't really noticeably bigger then the rest but the breeze can be felt.

When i press on these corners lightly the door itself flexes outwards and away from the seals slightly, roughly 5mm.

The multipoint lock on the door itself ends about 10 inches from the top of the door and about 6 inches from the bottom, would that allow for the flex and the slightly less tightly sealed corners?

Is this normal for a glazed uPVC door? it also seems like a weak point of the door that someone could potentially jimmy open.

The profiles used for the doors and windows were Kommerling c70 and the seals all look intact.

Any advice on how to get these corners to close more tightly against the seal?

Cheers for any help or advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

If your lightly pushing the bottom and the pin is at 6 inches, a 5mm move is a lot which means the pin clasp on the other side is loose, has loosened a bit, or in wrong position from the start.

The pin housing on the stationary side needs to be moved towards the frame a few mm or the pin sitting in the lock mechanism is too small.

Can be fixed easily. Any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 i_dont_know

Is that something that can be adjusted by me to try and fix this?

I can take some pictures and post them alright. Of what exactly do you want me to picture so you can see what the problem is?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

You dont need a pic just if you had one. It may tell a story that's all.
    The lock on the opening door is called and espagnolette, the long metal strip from top to bottom.It holds the stress and tension of the pins against the oposite door.

some can be very thin or fitted crap/ just crap / get loose. It maybe that this is the issue.

Check the screws on this from top to bottom if all are tight.

Check the screws on the stationary door are tight.

They may be Allen key but should be self tap Philip's heads

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Last year.?

Did you get a guarantee... Check on that and get onto the supplier of them

Will have a look tomorrow and fix them if they are loose.

• Advertisement

Yeah got a guarantee. What seems to be the norm for uPVC is ten years on the frame and one year on the seals.

I already contacted the company that installed them about the finish between the frame and plasterboard in one of the rooms. They had put silicone, or someting similar, to cover the gap between the interior frame and plasterboard. That had seperated after a couple of months. This let cold air through and also looked s**te. Their response was to come out and do the same again. This 'seal' has also seperated again. It took a huge amount of effort to get them to call out to fix the first problem so I'd like to have as much information as possible before i call them again.

That's why I'd like to have an idea of what is normal with the door before I approach them again.

Cheers again.

Advertisement