Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common Travel Area

Options
  • 13-12-2019 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

The CTA is a leftover from our era as a recently freed colony. It’s been useful but there is a real problem with it from now on as Britain leaves the EU. It gives non EU citizens the right to travel, settle and vote in an EU country while denying those rights to EU citizens other than ourselves. It’s compromising us and undermining the EU. While the slieveen mentality is to hold on to some imagined advantage I can’t see the worth of it. Convince me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    The CTA is a leftover from our era as a recently freed colony. It’s been useful but there is a real problem with it from now on as Britain leaves the EU. It gives non EU citizens the right to travel, settle and vote in an EU country while denying those rights to EU citizens other than ourselves. It’s compromising us and undermining the EU. While the slieveen mentality is to hold on to some imagined advantage I can’t see the worth of it. Convince me.

EU membership is an irrelevance to voting rights between the U.K. and Ireland. We had those rights before EU membership, and the only possible issue would be European elections, where UK citizens in Ireland, will no longer be able to vote, as they will no longer be EU citizens (and obviously Irish citizens resident in the UK will not have access to European elections any more). There’s no undermining of the EU whatsoever. On national and local elections - zilch to do with the EU. Also nothing slieveen about it - it’s a reciprocal arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

^^

Job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

alastair wrote: »
    EU membership is an irrelevance to voting rights between the U.K. and Ireland. We had those rights before EU membership, and the only possible issue would be European elections, where UK citizens in Ireland, will no longer be able to vote, as they will no longer be EU citizens (and obviously Irish citizens resident in the UK will not have access to European elections any more). There’s no undermining of the EU whatsoever. On national and local elections - zilch to do with the EU. Also nothing slieveen about it - it’s a reciprocal arrangement.

You’re restating what I said about as a left over from a different era ie before EU membership. As members of the EU the relationship with 3rd countries should be the same as any other member state has. Perpetuating the CTA also perpetuatesthe Brits own exceptionalist myth that they can be “ex pats” and have the same treatment as native citizens.

I don’t view those “rights” in the positive way others do. I see no good reason for the CTA to continue after Brexit. Removing the vote from British citizens here would be a good start in getting them to accept that we are a foreign country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

You’re restating what I said about as a left over from a different era ie before EU membership. As members of the EU the relationship with 3rd countries should be the same as any other member state has. Perpetuating the CTA also perpetuatesthe Brits own exceptionalist myth that they can be “ex pats” and have the same treatment as native citizens.

I don’t view those “rights” in the positive way others do. I see no good reason for the CTA to continue after Brexit. Removing the vote from British citizens here would be a good start in getting them to accept that we are a foreign country.

Why though.

There are millions in the uk with irish ancestry let alone irish citizens in the uk, even now the NHS and education systems in the uk would suffer without access to Irish workers.

CTA is not going to change just because you have some cranky dislike of it.

The common travel area is one of the foundations of the GFA.

Surely that is a good enough reason alone to leave it well alone?

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    Why though.

There are millions in the uk with irish ancestry let alone irish citizens in the uk, even now the NHS and education systems in the uk would suffer without access to Irish workers.

CTA is not going to change just because you have some cranky dislike of it.

Stop mis characterizing my points. Your argument that the NHS and British education would suffer without CTA. That is a British argument in favour of a British system. And it’s also false. There is a system in place in Britain for EU citizens to settle. Many Irish have not used it and they should have. There is a legally viable alternative compatible with EU membership.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Stop mis characterizing my points. Your argument that the NHS and British education would suffer without CTA. That is a British argument in favour of a British system. And it’s also false. There is a system in place in Britain for EU citizens to settle. Many Irish have not used it and they should have. There is a legally viable alternative compatible with EU membership.

Why should we? The CTA has existed for a lot longer than the EEC/EU have. There's nothing wrong with it. The EU knows that Britain and Ireland are a special case. It's probably why we're not in Schengen.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

For purely selfish reasons, I would be happy to see the CTA dropped so we could join Schengen instead.

Aegir wrote: »
    The common travel area is one of the foundations of the GFA.

Surely that is a good enough reason alone to leave it well alone?

The GFA has several foundations. The main ones are the democratic will of the people in Ireland. Joint membership of the EU was the real key. With that gone there is a profound threat to Irish independence within your argument. That is that for the sake of a GFA Ireland accepts a status as a satellite if England. It is a reversion to the 1922-72 era. That suits many unionist views.

Why should we? The CTA has existed for a lot longer than the EEC/EU have. There's nothing wrong with it. The EU knows that Britain and Ireland are a special case. It's probably why we're not in Schengen.

I dealt with length of existence already. I have pointed out what is wrong with it. The EU has accepted that Ireland made a special case about Brexit. It is now time to see our destiny in Europe and not with the UK. That is a difficult mental adjustment for some: that itself indicative of how ingrained UK centric thinking has become.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,935 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I dealt with length of existence already. I have pointed out what is wrong with it. The EU has accepted that Ireland made a special case about Brexit. It is now time to see our destiny in Europe and not with the UK. That is a difficult mental adjustment for some: that itself indicative of how ingrained UK centric thinking has become.

You didn't. You made a few matter-of-fact statements. You've yet to make a case for doing away with it. Is it actively harming Ireland?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You ended your initial post with "convince me" but you haven't actually done any work to convince anyone of your own stance. Also you don't seem to want to be convinced either.

The GFA has several foundations. The main ones are the democratic will of the people in Ireland. Joint membership of the EU was the real key. With that gone there is a profound threat to Irish independence within your argument. That is that for the sake of a GFA Ireland accepts a status as a satellite if England. It is a reversion to the 1922-72 era. That suits many unionist views.

How on earth is ther a profound threat to Irish independence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭victor8600

T.... It gives non EU citizens the right to travel, settle and vote in an EU country while denying those rights to EU citizens other than ourselves....

It's not undermining anything as others have already pointed out. Besides, UK citizens will have free travel with the EU after the Brexit, and likely the right to work and settle (probably with the access to the social welfare after paying taxes for X years), with the ability to vote in local elections in EU countries. Same as Norwegians or Swiss.

You want the Irish state to stop the CTA fair enough if a little odd and a bit cranky, however, you cant force another state the UK to stop the CTA why would they when its to there advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Tell us how Irish people being free to travel freely between here and the uk to live and work at will and not even needing a passport never mind a visa, as we always have done, do now and will continue to do, is actually bad for Irish people.
    Tell us how having to apply for passports a visa and possibly a work permit to travel to the uk will be good for Irish people.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Tell us how Irish people being free to travel freely between here and the uk to live and work at will and not even needing a passport never mind a visa, as we always have done, do now and will continue to do, is actually bad for Irish people.
    Tell us how having to apply for passports a visa and possibly a work permit to travel to the uk will be good for Irish people.

No he wants to stop English ' ex-pat's from coming here for some reason.

No he wants to stop English ' ex-pat's from coming here for some reason.

Well it works both ways the CTA. That’s the “common” part of it.
    British tourists spent €971 million in Ireland in 2015.
    What does he propose to replace that with?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Why do you call them "ex-pats"?

Call them what they are - they are British immigrants.

Never understood why the British think their own emigrants are so exceptional as to be deserving of the term "ex-pat" and not "emigrant". Differentiates them in their own minds from the savages from all other countries I suppose.

Never understood why the British think their own emigrants are so exceptional as to be deserving of the term "ex-pat" and not "emigrant". Differentiates them in their own minds from the savages from all other countries I suppose.

I have neve heard an English person in ireland descrivbe themselves as an ex-pat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I have neve heard an English person in ireland descrivbe themselves as an ex-pat.

Yes, because they are immigrants.

What are you going on about? Ex-pat is an international expression. Irish ex-pats? US expats?

Yes, because they are immigrants.

Are they immigrants if their grandmother was Irish what about great grandmother? or are they returned immigrants?

What are you going on about? Ex-pat is an international expression. Irish ex-pats? US expats?

As far as I can figuer out the poster seem to thing the average English person dose not sufficiently realise that Ireland is a different country.

victor8600 wrote: »
    It's not undermining anything as others have already pointed out. Besides, UK citizens will have free travel with the EU after the Brexit, and likely the right to work and settle (probably with the access to the social welfare after paying taxes for X years), with the ability to vote in local elections in EU countries. Same as Norwegians or Swiss.

I'll repeat that it is undermining the legal order of the EU by having a 3rd country citizens access to an EU state for travel, settlement and voting rights independent of the rules that govern other EU states. Further the citizens of Ireland access UK on a basis independent from EU rules. That is a parallel structure and is un sustainable.

In pointing to possible reciprocal EU rights after Brexit you are actually agreeing with me: the basis for that reciprocity would be EU law. My point is that the CTA is unnecessary in such a scenario and its continuing existence creates a duality and a confusion as outlined above.

I thought the Brits had rejected the Norwegian and Swiss models.

Well it works both ways the CTA. That’s the “common” part of it.
    British tourists spent €971 million in Ireland in 2015.
    What does he propose to replace that with?

If the CTA ended in light of a UK-EU wide settlement on citizens rights and travel then that the UK-EU agreement would cover tourism. I'm sure that Brits will continue to visit Benidorm etc and Spain will be looking for that tourist revenue to continue. In short the CTA does not form the basis for tourism: it may well make it easier for Brits to travel here but the market has always to adapt to new challenges. It has in the past and it will in the future.

How is it bad and how is it good are really the same question.

Some answers:
    By constantly seeking derogations, special status and looking to the UK as the first port of call Ireland is undermining its sense of self and its own self respect. I believe it would be good for us to begin to look to Europe much more independently of the UK and to look globally much more. The UK centric view is a previous version of Ireland. It is past time to think our independence and live it.

Whether visas will be needed by Brits to travel within EU has yet to be determined. In practice you already need a passport to fly. During the Northern Violence 1969-1998 I remember the separate queues for Irish people entering Britain and leaving and the form the airlines distributed before disembarkation. Travel documents are nothing new.

Work within a 3rd country should be open to EU citizens as a whole or not at all. We are showing no solidarity with the EU having demanded it in the backstop and having got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Being closely alligned to the UK while also being members of the EU can only be a good thing for Ireland, and removing the CTA would remove rights that we have had for generations.

Seems retrograde at best, and stupid or spiteful at worst.

You want the Irish state to stop the CTA fair enough if a little odd and a bit cranky, however, you cant force another state the UK to stop the CTA why would they when its to there advantage.

Leaving aside your repeated mischaracterisation you are actually beginning to see the hidden dimensions of the CTA now. The CTA is the embodiment of the British colonial mindset toward Ireland and other colonies: they exist to supply the "motherland" with labour or raw materials or food. You are demonstrating my point: we need labourers, Ireland; we need soldiers, Ireland (note British forces continue to recruit in Ireland and expect Irish citizens to swear an oath of loyalty to the Queen and her successors); we need food, Ireland. The role you play for the Brits is determined by the CTA. It is a left over and needs sorting.

No more mischaracterisations or ascriptions of mood if you please. The Ignore option is excellent.

• Advertisement

You didn't. You made a few matter-of-fact statements. You've yet to make a case for doing away with it. Is it actively harming Ireland?

If you look over my answers to other posters you will find my view.

Advertisement