Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

I think I must be the only resident evil fan who doesn't like re4, don't get me wrong the game play is decent, it just doesn't feel like an re game to me, I think its just the settinging it looks like Leon has time traveled back to the 17th century and he's not battling zombies instead it a cult. I think if it had been a completely separate ip I would have loved it but just can't take to it.
    It was also the first step to a more action orientated game rather than survival horror.

Agreed. Brilliant game play and overall a damn good game.....but the lack of zombies irked me somewhat, and it was the end of the true ‘survival horror’ element of the series!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I think I must be the only resident evil fan who doesn't like re4,

Yer not, its a **** horror game, they just went all out action to make the game look more appealing because money and hoped the fans wouldnt notice, and they were right, sadly. They did eventually though... three games later.. :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I pity people who can't appreciate both classic RE games and RE 4. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

nix wrote: »
    Yer not, its a **** horror game, they just went all out action to make the game look more appealing because money and hoped the fans wouldnt notice, and they were right, sadly. They did eventually though... three games later.. :pac:

I think this is grossly unfair. Resi 4 gets a lot right and breathed new life into a stagnant series. It's the right amount of cheesy and its set pieces, enemies and bosses are masterfully designed. While I enjoyed both Resi 5 & 6, I understand why they're disliked by many but 4 is a masterpiece who's biggest problem was introducing tropes the industry would just spam repeatedly such as QTE's.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

The original RE series peaked with RE2 which was a masterpiece for its time, Nemesis was still a good game but didn't reach the peaks of 2 and it was never really intended to be the true RE3. Code Veronica didn't offer anything we hadn't seen in the previous 3 games it just had better graphics for the time. The remake of the original was great for its time but it was just that a 2002 remake of a game from 1996 with better graphics and slightly better but still crap voice acting that no longer had the charm of being so bad it was funny. I don't think anyone particularly cares for RE0.

I do have a fondness for the first three RE games and the remake but that doesn't stop me from appreciating RE4. RE4 was also a masterpiece. The opening running battle in the village was a true lightning in a bottle moment, one of the best set pieces in gaming ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

Azza wrote: »
    The original RE series peaked with RE2 which was a masterpiece for its time, Nemesis was still a good game but didn't reach the peaks of 2 and it was never really intended to be the true RE3. Code Veronica didn't offer anything we hadn't seen in the previous 3 games it just had better graphics for the time. The remake of the original was great for its time but it was just that a 2002 remake of a game from 1996 with better graphics and slightly better but still crap voice acting that no longer had the charm of being so bad it was funny. I don't think anyone particularly cares for RE0.

I do have a fondness for the first three RE games and the remake but that doesn't stop me from appreciating RE4. RE4 was also a masterpiece. The opening running battle in the village was a true lightning in a bottle moment, one of the best set pieces in gaming ever.

Completely agree about re2 about being the pinicale of re, it's actually my favourite game of all time, I thing its better than its remake despite the improved graphics, controls etc.
    I do think re4 is a fantastic game its just it was a disappointing resident evil game.
    To be really controversial I prefer re0 to re4....

To be really controversial I prefer re0 to re4....

s2223_gp3599_1540244832.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

I know azza:-) it's not something I say in public too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I think this is grossly unfair. Resi 4 gets a lot right and breathed new life into a stagnant series.

Not really, they could have gone the direction of RE4 and kept it in line as a survival horror. Didnt need to turn Leon into Jet Li and have a shoot out massacre around every corner for 15 hours straight..

In fact they could have launched an entirely new game series with RE4 it was that different from its predecessors and they wouldnt have had to change much character/story wise either.. Its style of play likely would have lasted alot longer than 3 games that way also..

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I know azza:-) it's not something I say in public too often.

You need help desperately, but you made the important first step in admitting you have a problem. It will be a long, hard road back to becoming a functioning member of society, but it will be worth it in the end.

Best of luck to you.

They don't need your pity, they need your help and support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Can definitely appreciate both (enjoy all RE games, even 6)....I just wish it was zombies rather than ganados!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not really, they could have gone the direction of RE4 and kept it in line as a survival horror. Didnt need to turn Leon into Jet Li and have a shoot out massacre around every corner for 15 hours straight..

In fact they could have launched an entirely new game series with RE4 it was that different from its predecessors and they wouldnt have had to change much character/story wise either.. Its style of play likely would have lasted alot longer than 3 games that way also..

The old series was stagnant. They didn't radically change it for no reason.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

In fact they could have launched an entirely new game series with RE4 it was that different from its predecessors and they wouldnt have had to change much character/story wise either..

The development of RE4 did actually lead to an entirely new game series. During RE4's development 4 didn't versions of the game where discarded, the first of which went on to become Devil May Cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Resident Evil 7 in PSVR is a terrifying experience. Barely scratched the surface and my stomach is already in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Resident Evil 7 in PSVR is a terrifying experience. Barely scratched the surface and my stomach is already in bits.

that first escape section with jack had me terrified couldn't play for ages:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The old series was stagnant. They didn't radically change it for no reason.

The reason they changed it was Capcom got greedy and wanted to try to copy COD rather than appriciate the great series they had and they did it again with the terriblle RE resistance. Hopefully theyve learned there lesson now and will keep RE survival horror for good.

Greyfox wrote: »
    The reason they changed it was Capcom got greedy and wanted to try to copy COD rather than appriciate the great series they had and they did it again with the terriblle RE resistance. Hopefully theyve learned there lesson now and will keep RE survival horror for good.

I think this is nonsense. Resi 4 and COD have guns. That's about the height of the similarities.

Sorry but the suggestion that RE4's development was in any way influenced by Call of Duty is just nonsense.

I think this is nonsense. Resi 4 and COD have guns. That's about the height of the similarities.

Beat me too it.

But if anyones want reasons

1. They are not actually similar games.
    2. Code Veronica, RE0 and RE Remake under performed in sales.
    3. The director of RE4 had believed classic RE games where no longer scary because people had seen all the formula had to offer at that point.
    4. Call of Duty had released only 1 game and 1 expansion, which was PC only by the time of RE4's release. While it was successful, it was not yet the mega franchise it would go on to become.
    5. Its highly unlikely a Japanese developer like Capcom would of been paying much attention or be influenced by FPS games which are not popular in Japan or PC games which are also not very popular in Japan.
    6. RE4 development began before COD's did.

As for being greedy, ever single developer on the planet without exception wants to make more money. Absolutely nothing wrong with developers making money as long as the games they make are good.

I'm actually even struggling to see what similarities COD and RE:Resistance have to each other, micro transactions maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

This reminds me. I watched this interview yesterday with Shinji Mikami where he talks about his career up until around Resi 4(there is a second part in a few weeks time), need to switch on subtitles to watch it obviously. Kinda quirky how he got a job in Capcom originally.

• Advertisement

The article below proves they were thinking of call of duty when they made the changes

According to Resident Evil producer Masachika Kawata

"Looking at the marketing data [for survival horror games]... the market is small, compared to the number of units Call of Duty and all those action games sell," he said. "A survival horror Resident Evil doesn't seem like it'd be able to sell those kind of numbers."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-23-capcom-survival-horror-market-too-small-for-resident-evil

That article dates from 2012, over 7 years after RE4 was released.

When RE4 was released we where still in the PS2, Dreamcast, Gamecube and original Xbox console era, if you look at the top selling games on all the consoles, there is very few FPS and third person shooters in there, with Halo being a notable exception.
    RE4 did start a move away from survival horror to a more action orientated game a move that got more pronounced with each subsequent release and you could say that those later releases chased the action adventure crowd but RE4's development was most certainly not influenced by COD.

I'm actually even struggling to see what similarities COD and RE:Resistance have to each other, micro transactions maybe?

Clearly RE resistance is aiming for that play online with your friends shooter market, they would of looked at the likes of COD while making resistance.

As per the link below when they made the garbage RE operation racoon city they looked at COD, here's what the head of marketing in the UK said
    ‘The dream would be that the millions of Call of Duty fans that are enjoying these fast-paced online games are attracted to this Resident Evil. I know he's a marketing guy and its not the same game but it shows that COD is one of the series Capcom was thinking of when they wanted more action

https://metro.co.uk/2012/01/20/resident-evil-to-attract-call-of-duty-players-says-capcom-291416/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There’s one thing that always gets me about the ‘Resi 4 abandoned survival horror!’ takes: the original Resident Evil games aren’t particularly scary. The first in particular is so silly and cheap that a few decent jump scares hardly make it some frightening masterpiece. Many of the elements that make them intense are contrived as all hell, such as the limited, clunky movement and aiming. They’re decent games, especially the remakes of one and two, but they’re proud schlock in many respects - hardly some untouchable masterpieces of horror. Indeed, Resi 2 is almost best as an example of sprawling, inventive and interconnected level design than its survival horror elements.

In contrast, Resident Evil 4 ramps up the intensity of the early games while abandoning or overwriting some of their limitations. Nothing in the series has ever gotten me like that first siege in the house, and getting decapitated by that chainsaw dude. Is Leon more capable and agile than his predecessors? Yes. But the result is a game that feels true to its roots without being beholden to them. It’s the kind of sequel all sequels should endeavour to be, but not in the exact same way: simply that urge and ambition to do things differently is something that typically defines the truly great sequels.

Playing through Resi 7 recently and it was a good time, especially when it opted to be pure atmosphere in a way the original games didn’t have the technical horsepower nor wide-ranging interactive influences to draw from. But equally it highlighted the limitations of the survival horror approach - the tedium if inventory management; the limitations of boss battles; the repetitive standard enemies; the contrived puzzles. It is drenched in atmosphere compared to its predecessors, but also in some respects a reminder of why the formula pursued by those early games proved to be something of an artistic dead end. It has easily been surpassed in the horror stakes by any number of other series, and while there’s still decent games to be made out of the original formula, Resi 4 proved that sometimes a radical reinvention is needed to make a game that’s better than ‘pretty good’.

Clearly RE resistance is aiming for that play online with your friends shooter market, they would of looked at the likes of COD while making resistance.

As per the link below when they made the garbage RE operation racoon city they looked at COD, here's what the head of marketing in the UK said
    ‘The dream would be that the millions of Call of Duty fans that are enjoying these fast-paced online games are attracted to this Resident Evil. I know he's a marketing guy and its not the same game but it shows that COD is one of the series Capcom was thinking of when they wanted more action

https://metro.co.uk/2012/01/20/resident-evil-to-attract-call-of-duty-players-says-capcom-291416/

I'm not seeing any clear connection between RE: Resistance and COD other than both can be played online and both have micro transactions. COD is a single/multiplayer FPS and RE: Resistance is a 4v1 asymmetrical survival horror game played in third person. A much better game to compare RE:Resistance too would be a game like Evolve or Left 4 Dead where the the role of the A.I director would be the equivalent of the Mastermind in RE: Resistance.

You could say RE5, ORC and RE6 chased the action adventure crowd sure but RE4 came about simply because the director Shinji Mikami who directed both RE1 and the Remake as well as producing other classic RE games felt the old formula had run its course and was no longer scary, it had nothing to do with COD.

There’s one thing that always gets me about the ‘Resi 4 abandoned survival horror!’ takes: the original Resident Evil games aren’t particularly scary. The first in particular is so silly and cheap that a few decent jump scares hardly make it some frightening masterpiece. They’re decent games, especially the remakes of one and two, but they’re proud schlock in many respects - hardly some untouchable masterpieces of horror.

That's like saying Bloodborne is not a good game as it's widely accepted that the original RE back in 1996 was very scary, the dogs through the window is probably gaming's most famous jump scare. The original RE 1&2 have lots of standout moments and both games are true masterpieces particularly when it comes to atmosphere, both games were deserving of the there critical acclaim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Chasing the COD crowd did bring dividends though. Until really recently, Resident Evil 6 was the best selling game in the francise, it's recently been passed by Resident Evil 7.

I'm not saying it was the right direction, just that they did capture a bigger market with Resident Evil 5 and 6.

Operation Raccoon City was also harshly judged as a crap single player game when it was actually a really solid and fun on-line multiplayer shooter, most reviews barely even touched on that aspect.

It would be a bit like judging Call of Duty or BFV solely on its campaign, I think ORC got a raw deal in that respect. I personally thought it was really decent, probably played about 100 hours of MP.

It had some amazing modes like USS v STARS fighting for control time, with the maps full of zombies and BOWs that could be tactically manipulated to your teams advantage.

The article below proves they were thinking of call of duty when they made the changes

According to Resident Evil producer Masachika Kawata

"Looking at the marketing data [for survival horror games]... the market is small, compared to the number of units Call of Duty and all those action games sell," he said. "A survival horror Resident Evil doesn't seem like it'd be able to sell those kind of numbers."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-23-capcom-survival-horror-market-too-small-for-resident-evil

Ah come on. That's grasping at best. All that really says is that they wanted more sales and were looking at other titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It just comes down to 'action' sells more than 'horror' and Capcom wanted more of that. I think resi 5 and especially 6 showed them leaning fully into that with crazy melee and cutscenes. 7 was such a ballsy move as fps horror with little combat (early to mid game anyway) was such a contrast to resi 6, great to see that had high sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

There’s one thing that always gets me about the ‘Resi 4 abandoned survival horror!’ takes: the original Resident Evil games aren’t particularly scary. The first in particular is so silly and cheap that a few decent jump scares hardly make it some frightening masterpiece. Many of the elements that make them intense are contrived as all hell, such as the limited, clunky movement and aiming. They’re decent games, especially the remakes of one and two, but they’re proud schlock in many respects - hardly some untouchable masterpieces of horror. Indeed, Resi 2 is almost best as an example of sprawling, inventive and interconnected level design than its survival horror elements.

In contrast, Resident Evil 4 ramps up the intensity of the early games while abandoning or overwriting some of their limitations. Nothing in the series has ever gotten me like that first siege in the house, and getting decapitated by that chainsaw dude. Is Leon more capable and agile than his predecessors? Yes. But the result is a game that feels true to its roots without being beholden to them. It’s the kind of sequel all sequels should endeavour to be, but not in the exact same way: simply that urge and ambition to do things differently is something that typically defines the truly great sequels.

Playing through Resi 7 recently and it was a good time, especially when it opted to be pure atmosphere in a way the original games didn’t have the technical horsepower nor wide-ranging interactive influences to draw from. But equally it highlighted the limitations of the survival horror approach - the tedium if inventory management; the limitations of boss battles; the repetitive standard enemies; the contrived puzzles. It is drenched in atmosphere compared to its predecessors, but also in some respects a reminder of why the formula pursued by those early games proved to be something of an artistic dead end. It has easily been surpassed in the horror stakes by any number of other series, and while there’s still decent games to be made out of the original formula, Resi 4 proved that sometimes a radical reinvention is needed to make a game that’s better than ‘pretty good’.

Was about to post something similar but you said it pretty well, there is a reason why RE4 is pretty much the only game in the series that is referred to as horror-action.

I firmly believe RE4 contains the most tense, nerve-wracking moments in the entire series:

• The opening village assault
    • The canyon escape
    • Ashley's rescue
    • The house siege
    • Mendez boss fight
    • Castle sewers
    • 1st Garrador fight
    • The fountain room
    • The Garden
    • Verdugo boss fight
    • Tower ascent
    • 1st Regenerator fight
    • 'It'/U3 boss fight

In addition to these the game has such an oppressive atmosphere enhanced even more by the utterly perfect encounter design that never lets you relax. RE4 may have led to RE5/6 which went further down the action route but its unfair to saddle this on RE4.

Also comparing RE4 to CoD is just absurd, RE4 is probably the most influential game of the last 15 years.

Advertisement