Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will happen if Scotland defies Johnson?

Options
  • 14-12-2019 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Boris Johnson says he will not support another independence referendum for Scotland but what if Scotland holds a referendum without say so from Westminster? The Scots would prefer to remain both in the UK and the EU but unlike the last referendum, it is now clear they must choose between the two. Given the strong support for the SNP, it looks likely that a second referendum would favour leaving the UK to remain in the EU.

If that were to happen, should the EU recognize the validity of the referendum? (I think they should).

However, I think those Scots who reluctantly opt to stay in the EU may regret their decision t leave the UK. The reason I say this is because I see no way the EU itself can survive the next recession. Ireland and the Med countries will demand massive and unprecedented QE while northern European countries will want to avoid triggering hyperinflation. This will result in the fragmentation and break up of the EU.

If the EU breaks up right after Scotland chooses to leave the UK, then those Scots who were reluctant leavers of the UK will immediately do a u-turn which might be a bit humbling. If I were a Scot, I would want out of the UK even if the EU does break up.

Anyways, is this all hypothetical or could any of it happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Probably a long and protracted legal battle, if and when (and I hope it's when) they do go I think it'll soften up the course for reunification if they leave the UK first, on the one hand Ibrox/Freemasonry tinted Unionism is on the wane in Scotland after being dealt successive bad hands from a disinterested Westminster and Whitehall, and on the other the Scottish flags that fly up North are probably more heavily invested with the Ulster Unionist's identification with the UK/Britain more than Scotland itself even if the bulk of them descend from there.

It's common knowledge that Ulster Unionists/Loyalists are against Scottish nationalism which in turn creates another chasm, Orangemen who went to Edinburgh to campaign for the No vote in 2014 were told in no uncertain terms where to go by Yes voters.(Back home Paddy, must have been music to their ears!)

The Scots have a social cohesion and a long standing intellectual culture absent south of the border as well as an instinct for progressive and inclusive politics, they're not going to be taken for mugs forever by the Bullingdon Club. Saor Alba!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Pro independence parties won 45% of the vote in Scotland so if there is another referendum its by no means certain it would pass. they'd be better off waiting a bit and if Brexit destroys the economy then going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Every poll conducted still suggests its 55:45 to remain. Everything from the Fake News Irish Media is exactly Fake News.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Op - we had one mad deep recession that was a near worldwide recession caused by crazy sub sub sub prime lending.

Highly unlikely for such a recession to occur again.

Yes, some media will scaremonger their readers and some readers will believe it, but such a recession was a one off.

Yes, we'll have further recessions/dips that will be caused by anything from wars to oil crisis to Donald Trump throwing a hissy.

But a sensationalist post like yours has no basis to back it up - seems from other posts of yours you have a very negative mindset on a recession

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Every poll conducted still suggests its 55:45 to remain. Everything from the Fake News Irish Media is exactly Fake News.

Yeah they will not leave the UK.

They cannot afford to leave either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

dd973 wrote: »
    Probably a long and protracted legal battle, if and when (and I hope it's when) they do go I think it'll soften up the course for reunification if they leave the UK first, on the one hand Ibrox/Freemasonry tinted Unionism is on the wane in Scotland after being dealt successive bad hands from a disinterested Westminster and Whitehall, and on the other the Scottish flags that fly up North are probably more heavily invested with the Ulster Unionist's identification with the UK/Britain more than Scotland itself even if the bulk of them descend from there.

It's common knowledge that Ulster Unionists/Loyalists are against Scottish nationalism which in turn creates another chasm, Orangemen who went to Edinburgh to campaign for the No vote in 2014 were told in no uncertain terms where to go by Yes voters.(Back home Paddy, must have been music to their ears!)

The Scots have a social cohesion and a long standing intellectual culture absent south of the border as well as an instinct for progressive and inclusive politics, they're not going to be taken for mugs forever by the Bullingdon Club. Saor Alba!

Yes. Hadrian`s wall is well inside "England" but the people north of it generally speak with a stereotypical Scottish accent. It could be argued that Ulster orange men who went campaigning in Scotland were home. Back in the eighties, Edward Kennedy was touring Northern Ireland on a fact finding mission and one of the British soldiers told him to go back to his own country. Ed Kennedy was quick to retort by telling the Brit that Ireland was his country and the Brit should go back to his. I think eventually the peoples of Ireland will become more cohesive but since Gaelic culture is what makes Ireland and Scotland unique, so that is what will be cherished. If it is allowed to die, I think alcoholism and hopelessness will become endemic and the best people will leave.

Yes but a far high percentage want to remain in the EU. Polls reflect the pollsters wishes more than those polled. Instead of asking if they wanted to remain in the UK, what if they had asked the more relevant question, i.e. to choose between the UK and EU. The election result would indicate very strong support for ongoing membership of the EU and an immediate referendum would now be a good idea I suspect.

I think eventually the peoples of Ireland will become more cohesive but since Gaelic culture is what makes Ireland and Scotland unique, so that is what will be cherished. If it is allowed to die, I think alcoholism and hopelessness will become endemic and the best people will leave.

A sociologist sans pareil. The chasm between fiction and reality grows ever wider.

A sociologist sans pareil. The chasm between fiction and reality grows ever wider.

The native Americans, New Zealand Maoris and the Irish are not renowned for sobriety and temperance so there is a kernel of truth to what I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Scots would prefer to remain both in the UK and the EU but unlike the last referendum, it is now clear they must choose between the two.

You do know the EU is not a sovereign entity, right? The UK is.

• Advertisement

The native Americans, New Zealand Maoris and the Irish are not renowned for sobriety and temperance so there is a kernel of truth to what I say.

The natives are restless. Ripe for colonisation I'd say.

I heard the sun set on the British empire generations ago, but that must be an idle rumour.

The natives are restless. Ripe for colonisation I'd say.

I heard the sun set on the British empire generations ago, but that must be an idle rumour.

You lost me there.

You do know the EU is not a sovereign entity, right? The UK is.

Perhaps but the EU is bigger and stronger than the UK and the Scots know that. The wigs in the UK supreme court may deem a Scottish referendum illegal but a vote to leave the UK in order to stay in the EU may well be recognized as legit by the EU. Like I say, the EU is bigger and stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Perhaps but the EU is bigger and stronger than the UK and the Scots know that. The wigs in the UK supreme court may deem a Scottish referendum illegal but a vote to leave the UK in order to stay in the EU may well be recognized as legit by the EU. Like I say, the EU is bigger and stronger.

well the EU threw Catalonia under the bus so i wouldn't be too hopeful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Yes but a far high percentage want to remain in the EU. Polls reflect the pollsters wishes more than those polled. Instead of asking if they wanted to remain in the UK, what if they had asked the more relevant question, i.e. to choose between the UK and EU. The election result would indicate very strong support for ongoing membership of the EU and an immediate referendum would now be a good idea I suspect.

The question is is staying in the EU more important than staying in the UK for Scots.

I doubt that their attachment to the EU is greater than their attachment to staying in the UK. Perhaps I can be proven wrong.

It's also important to distinguish a victory in a general election from a victory in a referendum. Just because 45% voted for the SNP in this scenario does not mean that they voted for them because they wanted independence. Many tactically voted for them to keep Boris Johnson out, and many voted because they supported remaining in the EU. The SNP promoted that reasoning. I didn't hear much about independence coming from them in the campaign either.

Supporting remaining in the EU is not the same thing as voting to leave the UK.

If there is a referendum I can't see one being honoured by Westminster until after the 2021 Scottish assembly election when we get a clearer picture of what the reality is on this issue. It is worth pointing out that the SNP have a minority government in Holyrood at the moment. Even then, I can't see Westminster recognising a referendum until after a protracted legal battle to the Supreme Court. There's no guarantee that the SNP will win that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭threeball

Spain is a card carrying EU member, The UK in the next few months will not be so the EUs loyalty to them won't be an issue.

Scotland could become the main route for trade between Ireland and the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭threeball

I think eventually the peoples of Ireland will become more cohesive but since Gaelic culture is what makes Ireland and Scotland unique, so that is what will be cherished. If it is allowed to die, I think alcoholism and hopelessness will become endemic and the best people will leave.

I've read some far fetched sh1t in my time but this takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

threeball wrote: »
    Spain is a card carrying EU member, The UK in the next few months will not be so the EUs loyalty to them won't be an issue.

Scotland could become the main route for trade between Ireland and the EU

The EU would never allow an independent Scotland to join. Spain and potentially a few other countries would veto that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Scotland had their chance to leave UK 2014, they didn't take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

biko wrote: »
    Scotland had their chance to leave UK 2014, they didn't take it.

Yip. 1 or 2 things have changed since though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,592 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

threeball wrote: »
    I've read some far fetched sh1t in my time but this takes the biscuit.

You should read some of the threads he has started :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How exactly did the EU throw Catalonia under a bus?
    jackboy wrote: »
    The EU would never allow an independent Scotland to join. Spain and potentially a few other countries would veto that.
    Haven't they already said that an independent Scotland could join?

Haven't they already said that an independent Scotland could join?

No. They cannot make such a decision without a vote by all the member states.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭1641

This is an ideal election result from an SNP point of view - their victory in Scotland and a strong Tory majority in Westminister. I suspect they do not want a referendum at the moment as there is far from certain that they would win it.

However, with their election victory they can creditably push for a referendum, and the more Westminister resists the more the SNP can portray them as hostile to Scotland and thereby whip up nationalist sentiment.

This creates a dilemma for the Tories - how do they handle it? There are elections to the Scottish Assembly in 2021. Do they try to win over unionist support before then by "killing Home Rule by kindness"? Time is on the SNPs side - the older cohort of voters is most unionist, the younger most nationalist. If they can keep portraying the Tories/Westminister government as anti-Scottish for a few more years they might just get their referendum victory - particularly if Brexit impacts badly on the economy.

There is a certain argument for Westminister to agree to offer a snap referendum next year. If the SNP lost that it would be over for a long time. I doubt this will happen though.

Spain isn`t trying to leave the EU.

The question is is staying in the EU more important than staying in the UK for Scots.

I doubt that their attachment to the EU is greater than their attachment to staying in the UK. Perhaps I can be proven wrong.

It's also important to distinguish a victory in a general election from a victory in a referendum. Just because 45% voted for the SNP in this scenario does not mean that they voted for them because they wanted independence. Many tactically voted for them to keep Boris Johnson out, and many voted because they supported remaining in the EU. The SNP promoted that reasoning. I didn't hear much about independence coming from them in the campaign either.

Supporting remaining in the EU is not the same thing as voting to leave the UK.

If there is a referendum I can't see one being honoured by Westminster until after the 2021 Scottish assembly election when we get a clearer picture of what the reality is on this issue. It is worth pointing out that the SNP have a minority government in Holyrood at the moment. Even then, I can't see Westminster recognising a referendum until after a protracted legal battle to the Supreme Court. There's no guarantee that the SNP will win that one.

The SNP won 48 out of 59 seats. That is about 80% of the seats. The question I asked was what if Scotland has a referendum without permission from Westminster.

jackboy wrote: »
    No. They cannot make such a decision without a vote by all the member states.

I think it will be unanimous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

Scotland is part of the United Kingdom. The EU would be wise to stay the hell out of matters that don't involve them in any way.

1641 wrote: »
    This is an ideal election result from an SNP point of view - their victory in Scotland and a strong Tory majority in Westminister. I suspect they do not want a referendum at the moment as there is far from certain that they would win it.

I think winning or losing is not really relevant. The main purpose is to find out what the people want given the fact that England want to leave the EU. If the Scots want to remain with a UK that is leaving the EU, so be it but they should be consulted again.

• Advertisement

I think it will be unanimous.

No chance. Spain cannot accept that.

Advertisement