Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Moped/Scooter from China

Options
  • 14-12-2019 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭

What is the situation with getting one these on the road? Most are advertised with CE and EEC certification. Is there a problem getting insurance when they are imported from the likes of china? The ones for sale here seem to be a bit of a rip-off with very little choice.

Would rather not get a petrol yoke, as we have moved to electric vehicles.

Here's an example I was looking at. Very simple, cheap, low range.

eec-approved-ebike-bicycles-high-speed-electric.jpg

Stay Free

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Next to impossible I'd imagine. Also the CE on those usually stands for Chinese Export or something not the typical CE mark we have over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Next to impossible I'd imagine. Also the CE on those usually stands for Chinese Export or something not the typical CE mark we have over here.

Unless they are falsely advertising, the CE is for European Conformity and the listing I linked says that they work to the EEC standard.

It could be a load of BS, but most of the electric mopeds for sale from Irish and British retailers are made in china and can be purchased on Alibaba.

I wanted to throw out the feelers and see if anyone had knowledge of and experience in this area. Maybe one of the UK biker forums will provide some info.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd say that most are like the first bikes that came from China, the UK or Irish retailer owned the name and just sourced the bikes from wherever.

The problem with self importing is getting the Certificate of Conformity sorted, you have to get this from the EU distributor and since these have no EU distributors you'd have to submit it for conformity yourself. The savings from importing it yourself will be wiped out trying to get it registered. Then try insuring a no name bike!

That's not even considering where you'll get spares when something goes wrong and Chinese bikes are still in the very low quality period.

I don't doubt they we will be riding Chinese made bikes but it'll be a few years before they do what the Japanese did in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

What is the situation with getting one these on the road? Most are advertised with CE and EEC certification. Is there a problem getting insurance when they are imported from the likes of china? The ones for sale here seem to be a bit of a rip-off with very little choice.

Would rather not get a petrol yoke, as we have moved to electric vehicles.

Here's an example I was looking at. Very simple, cheap, low range.

eec-approved-ebike-bicycles-high-speed-electric.jpg

Avoid.

If you want to buy a chinese electric scooter, that's fine: but buy one from a shop or distributor here selling them that has had to do the VRT, registration etc (which includes all the EU homologation work).

I've seen chinese vehicles imported here gone straight to the crusher due to lack of paperwork - the comment about CE in those cases most assuredly meant Chinese Export over anything else...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Unless they are falsely advertising, the CE is for European Conformity and the listing I linked says that they work to the EEC standard.

I'm not sure you'd call it false advertising just falsely but definitely using an acronym and selling it to people that confuse it with the actual CE safety mark. It's a well known thing with goods from China and pretty much every product on those asian ebay sites etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement