Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minerals for sheep on fodder crop

• 14-12-2019 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

I have a (poorish) crop of stubble turnips that I’ll be putting the sheep onto around Christmas...

As I understand it, I need to give them iodine when they are the crop...

I was planning on giving them the Mayo healthcare 4in1 bolus...

They got a 4in1 bolus already in late summer, but I still had to dose em with cobalt the last while, so I am kinda losing faith in bolus a bit...

So, that made me think what did people do before bolus became available? How did they get iodine into sheep when they wintered on rape or turnips in times past?

Any info appreciated...

Edit : I think I remember reading that lads just use iodine spray in the drinking trough for cattle on rape?
    Anyone know if something similar would work for sheep? I wouldn’t use the water trough, but add it to a dose. I give them
    Cobalt regularly anyways, is there any options here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

see can u get KNZ salt licks or similar

stubble turnips at this time of year would not b as bad for goitre (iodine diff) as a rapidly growing feed of rape or kale in august

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    see can u get KNZ salt licks or similar

stubble turnips at this time of year would not b as bad for goitre (iodine diff) as a rapidly growing feed of rape or kale in august

Thanks Lano - never heard of KNZ salt licks?

I’d still prob give them some kinda mineral dose - I might just give them a dose of growvite or similiar before they go onto the turnips...
    I suspect they won’t be in the turnips too long, or if they are, it might be half on/off grazing on the turnips, so the chance of an issue might be lessened?

Advertisement