Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New boots defective: ask for replacement or compensation?

Options
  • 14-12-2019 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

Not legal compensation, RELAX and put the pitch forks down.

I bought a new pair of hiking boots. €140. In total I spent €600 on other walking gear and clothes so the shop got a nice sum off me.
    In the shop I tried the boots on and walking around a good bit and they felt fine.

I've worn the boots once on a short hike to break them in.
    However found the two soles are just loose inserts and keep sliding up my heel and making the boots very uncomfortable after about 20-30 mins of walking. They aren't glued to the bottom at all and I had to keep stopping to take off my boots and fix them.

In this case would you

A: ask for a replacement pair.
    or
    B: Ask the shop for compensation in the form of new soles, some shoe glue and maybe something extra thrown in on top like boot polish.
    or
    C: If they don't have those items for sale then ask them to cover the cost of getting them repaired by a shoe shop.

What do you think? Not happy about it tbh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

I'd say they are meant to be like that, I'd want my insoles loose so I could swap for the type I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Removeable insoles are pretty standard.
    They shouldn't be sliding about though.
    Are you sure they are the right size for the boots?
    If you are otherwise happy with the boots you just need proper fitting insoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd say they are meant to be like that, I'd want my insoles loose so I could swap for the type I like.

Insoles should never be loose to the point they're sliding up the back of the boot.

OP have you tried a different pair of insoles in them, I'd typically swap out factory insoles for insoles I prefer. At the end of the day they're not fit for purpose if the insole is moving as you describe so I'd be looking for a replacement or at a minimum store credit to buy a different pair. Are you sure it's not just the top layer of material coming off the insole? What brand are they?

I wouldn't bother asking them to throw in extras as an apology that should be the norm but it would be up to the individual manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

elperello wrote: »
    Removeable insoles are pretty standard.
    They shouldn't be sliding about though.
    Are you sure they are the right size for the boots?
    If you are otherwise happy with the boots you just need proper fitting insoles.

Yeah but usually they're not lose enough that they seem too small for the boots itself.
    They're the right size in every other aspect I feel. I'm pretty happy with them, I just need proper insoles.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Insoles should never be loose to the point they're sliding up the back of the boot.

OP have you tried a different pair of insoles in them, I'd typically swap out factory insoles for insoles I prefer. At the end of the day they're not fit for purpose if the insole is moving as you describe so I'd be looking for a replacement or at a minimum store credit to buy a different pair. Are you sure it's not just the top layer of material coming off the insole? What brand are they?

I wouldn't bother asking them to throw in extras as an apology that should be the norm but it would be up to the individual manager.

I used to swap out scholl insoles when my workboot soles would wear out (after 1 year). I might have to do that, but not sure if the shop has specific insoles for hiking.

The insoles that keep coming out, underneath them is pretty hard and they're thick enough so I don't think its just the top later.
    They hi-tec, which I know isn't exactly a premium brand but I still paid €140 for them and they're good other than the sole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yeah but usually they're not lose enough that they seem too small for the boots itself.
    They're the right size in every other aspect I feel. I'm pretty happy with them, I just need proper insoles.

I used to swap out scholl insoles when my workboot soles would wear out (after 1 year). I might have to do that, but not sure if the shop has specific insoles for hiking.

The insoles that keep coming out, underneath them is pretty hard and they're thick enough so I don't think its just the top later.
    They hi-tec, which I know isn't exactly a premium brand but I still paid €140 for them and they're good other than the sole.
    Go to the shop and see what they say. They may replace them or swap out the insoles, depending on the problem.
    As for any extras, I wouldn't ask for any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Compensation is the wrong word.

If there is a fault with the boot you'd be entitled to a refund, repair or replacement-typically your choice. You could also agree another remedy, such as part refund.

Forget the boot polish.. You have no entitlement to it. I reckon deal with the issue at hand.

There's another issue and that is whether the item is faulty rather than just a bad fit for you, or perhaps you're wearing the wrong socks. I dunno. Some onus on you to demonstrate the items aren't fit for purpose.

Another thing I'll mention but sometimes you buy an item and part of it is inferior to the main product. E.g a remote control might come with cheap batteries, a nice lamp might come with a rubbish lightbulb. I remember there was a really decent schoolbag that was black with a yellow stripe. It outlasted all the rubbish being sold in penneys. The zip was crap. The bag lasted 5 years, the zip maybe 1 year. The solution was to bring it along to a tailor and get a new, superior zip fitted when the original broke.

So.. stop talking about compo. Buy decent insoles and enjoy your boots. Or see if the shop will be kind enough to provide alternative insoles
    I don't believe it's unreasonable to request them free of charge but tbh after spending so much i wouldn't fall out with a staff member over a few euro either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Not legal compensation, RELAX and put the pitch forks down.

I bought a new pair of hiking boots. €140. In total I spent €600 on other walking gear and clothes so the shop got a nice sum off me.
    In the shop I tried the boots on and walking around a good bit and they felt fine.

I've worn the boots once on a short hike to break them in.
    However found the two soles are just loose inserts and keep sliding up my heel and making the boots very uncomfortable after about 20-30 mins of walking. They aren't glued to the bottom at all and I had to keep stopping to take off my boots and fix them.

In this case would you

A: ask for a replacement pair.
    or
    B: Ask the shop for compensation in the form of new soles, some shoe glue and maybe something extra thrown in on top like boot polish.
    or
    C: If they don't have those items for sale then ask them to cover the cost of getting them repaired by a shoe shop.

I'd go for replacement, bought berghaus from m+m direct lately fab,have a look great reductions

Advertisement