Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are the Gardaí?

Options

Comments

I had an attempted break-in in September 2017. The first Garda car took 4 minutes to get here, followed by another a few minutes later. I was waiting at the top of the stairs with a hatchet, just in case. The perps were caught in the neighbour's garden. I got a follow up call 2 days later and a letter about 6 months later saying the case was closed.

The benefit to us was that we didn't have to deal with body parts messing up my carpet and walls, or me being dead and possibly wife and kids the same. Also, my car keys were safe.

P. S. Invest in good locks.

What's your location out of curiousity? Or what Garda station serves you?

I've never had that experience, nor has anyone around here ever relayed similar to me (again, I'm based in Drogheda).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Dick_Swiveller

I had an attempted break-in in September 2017. The first Garda car took 4 minutes to get here, followed by another a few minutes later. I was waiting at the top of the stairs with a hatchet, just in case. The perps were caught in the neighbour's garden. I got a follow up call 2 days later and a letter about 6 months later saying the case was closed.

The benefit to us was that we didn't have to deal with body parts messing up my carpet and walls, or me being dead and possibly wife and kids the same. Also, my car keys were safe.

P. S. Invest in good locks.

4 minutes??? You are one of the lucky ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

He’s popular in Jobstown. Work a megaphone he was able to get a group of young thugs to come out and take his advice to trap a woman in her car for 2 hours.

I wouldn't use the word "thugs", if they were "thugs" they would have torched the car or blew in the windows. The megaphone is as dangerous as any gun sure, its pure criminal stuff Cool Paul gets up to. I hear he scratches his initials onto the Dáil's furniture as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

I know a few girls who became Garda and each and every one of them got married to another Gard ,got pregnant as soon as they became full blown members. Zero problem getting a mortgage even though theyre not in the mid 20s yet, such is the pay and job security. Since each one now has a child they are all desk bound because no Sergeant would ever dream of sending them out on the streets. They do claim overtime for events though - like standing about during the Dublin marathon, directing traffic at gigs and one offs like the papal visit.

purifol0 wrote: »
    I know a few girls who became Garda and each and every one of them got married to another Gard ,got pregnant as soon as they became full blown members. Zero problem getting a mortgage even though theyre not in the mid 20s yet, such is the pay and job security. Since each one now has a child they are all desk bound because no Sergeant would ever dream of sending them out on the streets. They do claim overtime for events though - like standing about during the Dublin marathon, directing traffic at gigs and one offs like the papal visit.

Seem to have a bit of an issue there with female Gardai.........
    BTW, no sergeant would send them into the street? Really? Not even the female sergeants who are mothers themselves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

bubblypop wrote: »
    Seem to have a bit of an issue there with female Gardai.........
    BTW, no sergeant would send them into the street? Really? Not even the female sergeants who are mothers themselves?

Yeah, it's a real horse**** post in fairness. The last commissioner was female and had kids. I'm sure she didn't spend her life behind a desk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Gerry G wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a real horse**** post in fairness. The last commissioner was female and had kids. I'm sure she didn't spend her life behind a desk

Lots of time at the Garda College and Technical Bureau. She did work in drugs but as a D/Super. Theres a cohort of Guards on admin duty who should be replaced by civilians. In fairness the current commissioner is pushing back in this and on non core policing duties.

Lots of time at the Garda College and Technical Bureau. She did work in drugs but as a Super. Theres a cohort of Guards on admin duty who should be replaced by civilians. In fairness the current commissioner is pushing back in this and on non core policing duties.

How did she get from super to Commissioner?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

How did she get from super to Commissioner?

Chief Super of the Technical Bureau.

Edit I see she was an A/C.

Some of you are to forget she got to chief commissioner because callinan resigned in disgrace and she was his right hand woman. Then just 3 years later she resigned in disgrace. And by disgrace I mean with full pension and no criminal charges and no investigation into the "forgotten" phones. Ditto for Callinan, who had a colleague destroy the contents of his filing cabinet the day after he was no longer in the job. Also had a few other members destroy McCabe too.

• Advertisement

Some of you are to forget she got to chief commissioner because callinan resigned in disgrace and she was his right hand woman. Then just 3 years later she resigned in disgrace. And by disgrace I mean with full pension and no criminal charges and no investigation into the "forgotten" phones. Ditto for Callinan, who had a colleague destroy the contents of his filing cabinet the day after he was no longer in the job. Also had a few other members destroy McCabe too.

I don't think the phones were forgotten. I think they were "lost". She was a disaster of a commissioner

The entire force is an expensive farce that we have to pay for. I'm sorry people felt my post about the 3 female gardai I know was a snipe at women but it's not that simple. People have to see the culture for themselves. Out of those 3 only one was physical enough to handle herself, the other two are about 5ft tall and definitely not the brightest, they weren't going to make it in an academic setting and their leaving cert results limited their CAO places anyway. They were always physically lazy but now they're just incredibly fat (neither of them older than 24). But somehow thats all that's required to join the gardaí. I was pretty shocked to see the entry requirements were a couple of D's in the leaving cert. And after that it's internal Garda choosing the next lot of gardai. Kind of explains how gardai seem to have offspring that also get to be gardai. If it's not genetic, it's nepotism.

This goes against Garda saying they should be paid more too. After all a job with ridiculously low entry requirements and a **** tonne of applicants (600 applications for just 400 hundred jobs in June 2018)
    Would mean you could vastly lower pay and still have more than enough. That's how it is in the private sector. But no, Garda are public sector, and that means 90% of their budget goes on pay!

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2018-06-19/248/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

There's been a huge push to get more Gardai out from desk jobs doing admin and back into active policing roles. That's apparently been a challenge as there seems to have been a reluctance to work with 'civilians' but I understand progress has been made there recently.

The Commissioner has also sought research into huge regional variances in the numbers on light duty and sick leave, with rural areas having much higher rates than urban areas.

Finally, I don't know why accelerated pensions still exist. If you joined before 2004 you can retire at 50 after 30 years service, and aged 55 if you joined after 2004? That might have made sense in previous generations, but too many Gardai are retiring too young with too little service IMO.

The entire force is an expensive farce that we have to pay for. I'm sorry people felt my post about the 3 female gardai I know was a snipe at women but it's not that simple. People have to see the culture for themselves. Out of those 3 only one was physical enough to handle herself, the other two are about 5ft tall and definitely not the brightest, they weren't going to make it in an academic setting and their leaving cert results limited their CAO places anyway. They were always physically lazy but now they're just incredibly fat (neither of them older than 24). But somehow thats all that's required to join the gardaí. I was pretty shocked to see the entry requirements were a couple of D's in the leaving cert. And after that it's internal Garda choosing the next lot of gardai. Kind of explains how gardai seem to have offspring that also get to be gardai. If it's not genetic, it's nepotism.

This goes against Garda saying they should be paid more too. After all a job with ridiculously low entry requirements and a **** tonne of applicants (600 applications for just 400 hundred jobs in June 2018)
    Would mean you could vastly lower pay and still have more than enough. That's how it is in the private sector. But no, Garda are public sector, and that means 90% of their budget goes on pay!

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2018-06-19/248/

The majority of people who join AGS now, already have third level qualifications & some other life experience.
    Which is great & should be welcomed.
    People joining directly from school hardly happens anymore.
    In order to keep attracting intelligent wise people to the job, they have to pay a decent wage. Why would anyone join & work all those crap shifts if they could earn more doing what they studied for?

The very people you are complaining about are the very people you want to join the force be lowering wages.

Oh & FYI, the whole physical thing? Do you think all Gardai need to be huge & muscly? There are many ways to do the job, thankfully it doesn't involve physical violence (not anymore!) :)

The new commissioner certainly had his work cut out for him. But since he can't fire anyone for being crap the public will continue to suffer.

That said he implemented fingerprint clock in system in some stations this year to stop gards taking the piss and getting paid for it and the union got up in arms about it.

bubblypop wrote: »
    The majority of people who join AGS now, already have third level qualifications & some other life experience.
    Which is great & should be welcomed.
    People joining directly from school hardly happens anymore.
    In order to keep attracting intelligent wise people to the job, they have to pay a decent wage. Why would anyone join & work all those crap shifts if they could earn more doing what they studied for?

The very people you are complaining about are the very people you want to join the force be lowering wages.

Oh & FYI, the whole physical thing? Do you think all Gardai need to be huge & muscly? There are many ways to do the job, thankfully it doesn't involve physical violence (not anymore!) :)

There are 6000 job applicants for 400 positions this means that the tax payer could save a bundle AND have more gardai by paying them less. Also means more money for better equipment. Of course it would be nice if they used it without demanding a pay rise to be trained on a fking fingerprint machine

www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/icrime/23m-fingerprint-system-underused-because-of-dispute-168169.html

As for the slovelnly state of gardai yes their job is still a physical one and the union this year disgraced themselves yet again, this time by trying to further reduce the physical fitness entry requirements.

www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda-body-criticises-excessive-bleep-tests-for-recruits-1.4047687

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You would want to live in a country where armed soldiers patrol the streets? Okaaaaay then

Until recently the army used to attend cash deliveries to banks, fully armed. Not a ? of patrolling the streets but that it be known they will be around at need. These thugs are cowards.

Always had good support from Gardaí in rural areas. None ever come out here except to collect the ballot box after elections but if there is any problem, they act fast by phone to local worthies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

The Gardaí are in their stations, stuffing themselves with doughnuts and watching telly. The cyclist was no doubt a major inconvenience to them as the call out probably meant less time on the toilet and missing the second half of the weakest link. Needless to say, the Gardaí did not rush to the scene. They would have finish their tea and flossed a bit before strolling out to the car. Besides, if they got there to soon, the gang might still be around and that would never do. To be fair, the new Commission from the north is doing a great job but he cannot go into Garda stations armed with an electric prod to zap some fat arsed Gardaí much as he might like to. The culture must change.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,106 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Christ....

hmmm wrote: »
    Guards earn an average of 1300 euro a week (IPA report). If we're going to pay such big salaries, we can't afford to have lots of Guards. Same with nurses, teachers etc.

Indeed but it also means the Gardaí we do have should work hard instead of stuffing themselves with doughnuts. The only Gardaí I ever see around are always parked at petrol station with a good shop and restaurant and they spend the whole evening shift eating.

• Advertisement

Witcher wrote: »
    Christ....

.... be beside me ...

listermint wrote: »
    Would love to see you knock on a door late at night delivering news to parents that their son or daughter died in a car accident or was found hanging from some tree .

Big salary ... N all...

I'd say you think a CEO salary of half a mill is worth it.

Of course CEOs are not worth what they pay themselves, neither are the cozy cartel of back scratching Judges & Politicians but I fundamentally believe in an honest days work for an honest day`s pay, irrespective of what others are doing. You cannot look cravenly at others and then conduct yourself accordingly. One must do what is right.

Add to that the families of Guards who have lost their lives on duty. I'm sure they don't see a €1300 average as being worth it.

If I were a Garda I would be delighted with the €1300. Ka-ching! The odds of dying are so puny and the doughnuts are so delicious ... need I say more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

hardybuck wrote: »
    There's been a huge push to get more Gardai out from desk jobs doing admin and back into active policing roles. That's apparently been a challenge as there seems to have been a reluctance to work with 'civilians' but I understand progress has been made there recently.

The Commissioner has also sought research into huge regional variances in the numbers on light duty and sick leave, with rural areas having much higher rates than urban areas.

Finally, I don't know why accelerated pensions still exist. If you joined before 2004 you can retire at 50 after 30 years service, and aged 55 if you joined after 2004? That might have made sense in previous generations, but too many Gardai are retiring too young with too little service IMO.

Their pension is like winning the lotto, why wouldn't they retire early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Tippsman wrote: »
    I don't want a guards job nor would do it, it's handy,

The organisation is so bad a nordie had to be brought in FFS.

Handy job is it?
    Must let my son know that. He must be in the different gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jaysis, realities on a role this morning, should be an interesting day!

If I were a Garda I would be delighted with the €1300. Ka-ching! The odds of dying are so puny and the doughnuts are so delicious ... need I say more.

Yep because thats how you decide on whether to do a job or not.
    The odds of dying are so puny
    Pathetic, go back & get some more sleep

There are 6000 job applicants for 400 positions this means that the tax payer could save a bundle AND have more gardai by paying them less. Also means more money for better equipment. Of course it would be nice if they used it without demanding a pay rise to be trained on a fking fingerprint machine

www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/icrime/23m-fingerprint-system-underused-because-of-dispute-168169.html

As for the slovelnly state of gardai yes their job is still a physical one and the union this year disgraced themselves yet again, this time by trying to further reduce the physical fitness entry requirements.

www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda-body-criticises-excessive-bleep-tests-for-recruits-1.4047687

The job is not necessarily a physical one, no.
    Your links don't work.
    Oh, and applicants do not always take a job you know, they have to weigh up job conditions, wages & compare it to other jobs before they take it.
    Pay peanuts, get monkeys

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

Could we stop with the lazy American donut clichés, surely we have enough of our own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Again it's only am average. The commissioner earns roughly 250k per year. A young Guard earns approx 30k. Average of 140k each

The first point on the Garda scale is €30,296. However this does not include allowances, this is an important distinction!

For example, all frontline Gardai who work the guards roster get unsocial hours pay.

Such allowances amount to between 25% and 30% of earnings. Source: Dáil statement, MOJ, April 2016.

Therefore, renumeration for a first year guard is between 37,870 and 39,384. Not bad for an entry level job that only requires a leaving certificate (grade D3 minimum in five subjects at ordinary level).

Advertisement