Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift for children

Options
  • 14-12-2019 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone here recommend to me a gift idea for a 6 yo girl and 8yo boy please?

My alternative at this stage is to give money, but is rather get a gift if possible that covers both of them.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Cinema voucher or book token. Have suggested and given both in the past and again this Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Hi,

My alternative at this stage is to give money, but is rather get a gift if possible that covers both of them.

Thanks.

A Day out somewhere . A voucher for the National Stud or the Zoo .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

If you want a physical present, Lego is a good one for those ages, or art and craft stuff maybe.
    But as above, days out make good presents too, depending on where in the country you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

Board games. Mouse trap, guess who, Uno ... Ones where do not need to read

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Lego for the 6 year old. Robux for the 8.

• Advertisement

ax530 wrote: »
    Board games. Mouse trap, guess who, Uno ... Ones where do not need to read

Oh yes, uno is a firm fave in this house! Monopoly junior is another one that has been played a lot!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have a 6 and an 8 year old, they love boards games and lego.

Marble run great too!

Marble run great too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Well - I've still got nothing.

Marble run looks great, but I don't think it would suit due to space constraints. I was going to give money instead.

So, the question is do I give to only my godchild or do I also give to their sibling too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well - I've still got nothing.

Marble run looks great, but I don't think it would suit due to space constraints. I was going to give money instead.

So, the question is do I give to only my godchild or do I also give to their sibling too?
    I'd say no, but if it bothers you maybe a little present, a toy perhaps. I think board games are a good call to satisfy both of those questions. I always check with parents to see what's been requested anyway. You could also hit the mayhem of Smyths and just walk around or type in a search online to get some ideas.

Thanks - I'm trying to balance buying for the godchild without missing their sibling, but not looking like favouring one set of relations over the others.

Is_that_so: do you mean - no - don't buy for the sibling?

Thanks - I'm trying to balance buying for the godchild without missing their sibling, but not looking like favouring one set of relations over the others.

Is_that_so: do you mean - no - don't buy for the sibling?

I would buy something for the sibling. Even if it’s a chocolate Santa or a colouring book Or something

It just seems off to me to not give same to one and not the other. Plus what about the other sets of siblings?

Maybe I'm overthinking this.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Kids love a day out at the stud farm. defo recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It just seems off to me to not give same to one and not the other. Plus what about the other sets of siblings?

Maybe I'm overthinking this.

We give to both the godchild and the sibling equally for birthdays and Christmas. There are no other nieces and nephews though. For me it depends on what you can afford. If you can afford to buy presents for everyone do but if you can’t then stick to the one family or just the godchild.

What do you give new borns in the other families.
    I don't like buying clothes as parents have ideas as to how they dress them and actual gifts for the baby are not understood yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

What do you give new borns in the other families.
    I don't like buying clothes as parents have ideas as to how they dress them and actual gifts for the baby are not understood yet.

Honestly, clothes are the best thing. Not newborn size but the size up or a couple of sizes up. Babygrows and vests would be my choice rather than “cute” outfits. They will always be used.

Or a voucher for somewhere that sells clothes. Next, dunnes, one4all. Or if you buy clothes, give a gift receipt.

Hi,

Thanks.

Don’t be making a rod for your back. Don’t buy anything. There’s nothing worse than something that’s not really for you alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

The kids get toys from santy and they play with those all day and towards evening time get tired so I think something simple like colouring books,dot to dot,crayons and markers are always great for them and they love drawing and colouring in at that age to.

Advertisement