Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to pull a fast one?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭jmreire

galwaytt wrote: »
    Well, we had a very light 'touch' on a family car lately, and the lightest of touches of another cars bumper. It may, or may not have been polishable -but as it's not my car but the other owners, I didn't get to pick. He wanted the bumper painted. Cost was €350. At the end of the day, my excess was more than the repair was, so I'd have had to pay it anyway, and had a claim on record.

But I did inform the insurer, and did tell them we were settling directly and that there would not be a claim by the other party, and their advice to me was to get a full written receipt confirming the amount as payment settlement-in-full.

I me the guy at (his) chosen garage, paid the garage directly and got the signed receipt from owner as advised as well as the VAT invoice from the garage for the actual work, which I then forwarded to the insurance co for their records. If anyone tries to submit a claim, I have it covered. I emailed the receipt to the insurer for their records.

And I have dashcam footage as well.

And that's the way to do it. No matter what happen's next, you are covered.

Berserker5 wrote: »
    You don't have a claim on record but you have an accident on record

Might affect your premium and you have to inform insurers going forward absolute pith in fairness here

Once the insurance are not making a payment, that's all they are interested in. BUT going forward, if they are not informed... different case entirely. You are obliged to inform your insurance of any change in circumstances, and that include's even minor tips and scrapes. But you are right, in Ireland insurance and the law, are a massive ( and expensive) black hole. And one in which our Government has no interest in fixing...leave everything to the "Market's"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

jmreire wrote: »
    And that's the way to do it. No matter what happen's next, you are covered.

They can still claim for personal injury, not saying they will but the receipt for the bumper won't preclude it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

jmreire wrote: »
    Once the insurance are not making a payment, that's all they are interested in. BUT going forward, if they are not informed... different case entirely. You are obliged to inform your insurance of any change in circumstances, and that include's even minor tips and scrapes. But you are right, in Ireland insurance and the law, are a massive ( and expensive) black hole. And one in which our Government has no interest in fixing...leave everything to the "Market's"

Yes they normally don't load a premium once u explain about minor dings not.involving a payout

Berserker5 wrote: »
    They can still claim for personal injury, not saying they will but the receipt for the bumper won't preclude it

Yes, they can ( and it would not be the first time it has happened either !!! ) but now you are covered, you have reported it to the insurance. Now it all depends on the character of the people who were in the car. Sadly, after taking " Advice" too many follow the lure of easy money,,,and as has come to light in the last few days, there are Solicitor's and Doctor's actively encouraging people to make claims...and telling them how to go about it. :mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement