Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small smartphone for older person

Options
  • 15-12-2019 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

As per the title in looking for a small easy to use smart phone for my mother.

She has never had a smartphone before and doesn't want a large handset.

If prefer to buy new and would consider all manufacturers as I've got a Xiaomi redmi note 4 - which she says is far too big for her needs.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Think we will get this for my mother
    Nokia 4.2 5.71"-Inch Android Pie UK Sim-Free Smartphone with 3GB RAM and 32GB Storage - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QM8VLRH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_t4G9DbD61VE6S

5.7 inches and Android One
    Customize the launcher and lock down the home screen so she can't alter too much and bobs your uncle

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

She'd be better off with a basic phone for calls and texts and a separate tablet for internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    She'd be better off with a basic phone for calls and texts and a separate tablet for internet.

She misses not being able to see the photo messages and suchlike, hence the need for what's app.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

She misses not being able to see the photo messages and suchlike, hence the need for what's app.

You should explain to her that a larger phone isn't more difficult to use than a smaller one - it's probably even easier because you can make the text larger and the bigger screen will accommodate it.

Last year I helped my Father (in his 70's) out with getting a smartphone. I took him up to Tesco's Mobile Phone shop where we picked one out. If he has any issues he can to Tesco and I don't have to go and sort it out.

Tesco are selling the Samsung A20e which will be more than good enough for a light user. If you're near a Tesco with a Mobile Phone stand it's handy for older people if they need assistance topping up and whatnot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Alancillhill

Doro range are the best hands down for older people. Been through like 10 phones for my mum. They have a simplified android

• Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Get her a Nokia 2720 flip the new one with WhatsApp.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Get her a Nokia 2720 flip the new one with WhatsApp.

Could be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Horace Cope

As per the title in looking for a small easy to use smart phone for my mother.

She has never had a smartphone before and doesn't want a large handset.

If prefer to buy new and would consider all manufacturers as I've got a Xiaomi redmi note 4 - which she says is far too big for her needs.

Any suggestions?
    Whatever phone you buy, just make sure you put a launcher on it that is suited to an elderly person.

Its infuriating how phone providers don't provide elderly people with recommendations such as the following.
    https://www.maketecheasier.com/best-android-launchers-for-senior-visually-impaired-users/

to get a truely "small" phone you have to go and source an older model like one of the sony compacts.

as the other poster said just pick a good phone that is small by modern standards e.g. mi a2 lite or the like

(which has simple and clean android one so it's simpler to navigate)

• Advertisement

Would the Mi A2 Lite be a better option that an A40 or a A20E Samsung?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

A larger phone is easier to see - I just upgraded last year from a 5.3 to a 5.7 and I find it so much better. Big fones aren't as hard to handle as they used to be. All old people need reading glasses so..

If I were setting up phone for an old person I would delete as many apps as you can they don't need. You can disable apps if you can't un-install them. This also will get rid of a lot of nagging notifications and make the app list shorter. Decomplicate it.

You cold install a simple launcher for older people. Google it, maybe try one out. LG have Easy Home Launcher included for example.

I wouldn't get anything too budgety. If it's slow that cold be frustrating.

I'd set it up with them, maybe set up an email address and whatsapp.

Showed her my redmi note 4 and stated she didn't want anything that size. S6 sized maximum so maximum 145mm height.

Just noticed that the redmi 7a has a 4000mAh battery and large text size.
    For approx €90 it seems like a good choice for a first smartphone for an older person. It is only 146mm two as well which is a reasonable size.

Anyone know much about them. I'm aware it won't set the world on fire but it has a great battery and small size which are two of the key points. Not sure which double of OS it has, but a previous poster showed a simplified home screen which I like the look of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Dothebartman

Moto G7 Power might be another option. Again might be too big but battery is amazing.

Moto G7 Power might be another option. Again might be too big but battery is amazing.

I was looking at the A2 lite, but size wise I don't think it suited. I just checked the g7 power there and I doubt she'd go for it due to its size. Doesn't want anything bulky.

you're looking for a phone that doesn't exist tbh unless you buy a 2nd-hand phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Weltsmertz wrote: »

This is what my mother does. We gave her a few different handsets and she couldn't take to them. She's more comfortable using a basic phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Dothebartman

Iphone SE would be the perfect fit and probably got cheap enough at this stage. Its a tiny phone and not too old. Still use it as my work phone. Great battery as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

The Xiaomi mi A3 is the best value with fantastic specs for 150..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok resurrecting this thread as looking at phone for elderly parent. Currently has Chinese Android phone thats slow and stuck on older version of Android. Just use for calls texts whats app and picture and Google wallet and few apps Aer lingus Ryanair but possible Instagram view grandkids

Any suggestions possible bricks and mortar shop as currently on payg with Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

Does the Nokia G42 e89.99 or Nokia C22 e49.99 on offer with Vodafone PAYG work?

I started this thread. I ended up getting my mum a Xiaomi Note 12. She has similar usage profile - plus reading news etc. Seems happy enough with it.

Have an aunt who has no idea about phones and got them a basic big button mobile phone from Amazon - no Android capabilities with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Have you looked into the Oppo range of phones? Kids got me one earlier this year. I'd have been quite happy with a text/call basic phone. Tbh I'm glad they got it, easy to use , WhatsApp etc . They also put other apps on it for me.

Advertisement