Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Republic Tayto v Northern Tayto?

Options
  • 15-12-2019 4:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭

:confused:

Tayto-Collage.jpg

:confused: Emmm ok, didn't even know they had a different Tayto up there.

Is there a difference between them?

Which is better in your considered (preferably non-intoxicated) onion pinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Is the northern packet a bit oranger?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

The Northern one is just produced on license, there is only one real Tayto.

The real Tayto can't be sold in NI, there was a court case even as someone tried to sell over the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Northern ones are a cheap crappy knockoff of the Irish ones. Know plenty of people from north of the border that stock up on the good ones whenever they visit here. They may buy all their food and booze in the north before they visit, but they go home with the real Tayto.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dem be protestant crisps.

Northern tayto is sh1te, they only exist for sectarian purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

King are way nicer.

Love a king sandwich now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I believe the main difference is Free state Tayto is made of potatoes and the northern ones are made from the King James Bible and Seething Hatred:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭GIMP

King and Tayto are identical nowadays. Both made in Kilbrew Co Meath. All they change is the packaging on the production line depending on the product runs.

Have had this confmed by current and previous employees of Largo Foods.

Didn't believe it either initially..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Spud Murphy has a shop that sits on both sides of the border. He sell both varieties depending on cost and demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

GIMP wrote: »
    King and Tayto are identical nowadays. Both made in Kilbrew Co Meath. All they change is the packaging on the production line depending on the product runs.

Lies.

Eat a packet of each side by side...not identical, quite a difference in taste.

Why would you lie at Christmas???!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Lies.

Eat a packet of each side by side...not identical, quite a difference in taste.

Why would you lie at Christmas???!!!!

I agree. Have a preference for King.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Love stocking up on the aul Northern Tayto.

The British Tayto isn’t under licence, they own the rights to the name for the UK market and have done since the 1950’s (two years after the Irish one started). Fully independent of the Irish one which is now German owned by the same company that owns KP.

The British one also owns Golden Wonder and can use that brand to sell their products here (eg GW Rough Cuts are Tayto Rough Cuts in NI) our sometimes just sell them here unbranded (Bikers). They also own Real Crisps and Mr Porkys pork scratchings.

Tayto here have used their King brand to sell their product in NI (eg King Velvet Crunch, which were Tayto Velvet Crunch here at the time) in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Fascinating.

Fascinating.

You could smart arsedly post that under 90% of posts on this website. If you were the type.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You could smart arsedly post that under 90% of posts on this website. If you were the type.

I meant it. It is fascinating. I learnt a lot from your post I did not know.

I meant it. It is fascinating. I learnt a lot from your post I did not know.

Ah :D Me thinking the worst (though on boards that’s probably worthwhile).

Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

They're not identical. C'mon!!! These people are probably the same people who've personally experienced the ubran legends in which they were dining in a Dublin restaurant and asked Bruce Springsteen to take a photo of them with Bono without realising who he was until he paid the bill.

When you do the "factory tour" in Tayto Park you can see that each product has its own specific seasoning.

Anyway, I'm partial to packet of Nordie Tayto. Will always bring a few packs back from Newry along with some Bikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The seasoning is different on King and Tayto. They come from different suppliers. Your friends are liars :(

fullstop wrote: »
    The seasoning is different on King and Tayto. They come from different suppliers. Your friends are liars :(

Unless it’s changed very recently there’s no supplier for the Tayto cheese and onion flavour. It’s mixed on site as the “secret” recipe. Same with the NI Tayto, which is why they taste similar but have got slightly different from each other over the years. The flavour for King would be a generic one bought in like is bought for all the other flavours and the supermarket own brands, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Unless it’s changed very recently there’s no supplier for the Tayto cheese and onion flavour. It’s mixed on site as the “secret” recipe. Same with the NI Tayto, which is why they taste similar but have got slightly different from each other over the years. The flavour for King would be a generic one bought in like is bought for all the other flavours and the supermarket own brands, etc.

Nonsense. This "secret" recipe is supplied in 10kg bags. Again, when you see the production line in Tayto they have them piled up on the production line, you can easily identify the product, the ingredients and the supplier.

• Advertisement

Nonsense. This "secret" recipe is supplied in 10kg bags. Again, when you see the production line in Tayto they have them piled up on the production line, you can easily identify the product, the ingredients and the supplier.

Then it’s changed or they’ve moved mixing off-site, like I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If you have 76 hours to spare you could read back over The Ultimate Crisp Tournament

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Do Roosters grown in Crossmaglen taste different to Roosters grown in Castleblayney?

I never knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Doesn't matter, their both mediocre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Spuddys from aldi are as nice as anything going and a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

They had Northern Tayto in the cafe in B&Q in Liffey Valley last week if anyone wants to research them without travelling across the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

ardinn wrote: »
    Is the northern packet a bit oranger?

Southern one has got the Union Jack colours.

Just sayin'.

They had Northern Tayto in the cafe in B&Q in Liffey Valley last week if anyone wants to research them without travelling across the border.

They should be reported for selling them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Why ?

Advertisement