Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Turkeys

Options
  • 15-12-2019 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭

When are you sending them off to the factory?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Gael23 wrote: »

Where is the factory??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Where is the factory??

Do you kill them yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Are you looking to buy a Turkey or?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

gozunda wrote: »

Would you have any idea on price?

gozunda wrote: »

Have ordered one already. Just curious to know if it’s still alive or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

We kill our generally on the 19th or 20th Dec. Chances are your lad is still walking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

We kill our generally on the 19th or 20th Dec. Chances are your lad is still walking around.

Is there much work with them? Is there a market for them live?

Is there much work with them? Is there a market for them live?

We only keep a small few. Around 20 this year. Plenty of work and no money. Like a lot of farming 😀
    We keep a very traditional breed , single breast and reared outside. They taste like no other Turkey!

We only keep a small few. Around 20 this year. Plenty of work and no money. Like a lot of farming 😀
    We keep a very traditional breed , single breast and reared outside. They taste like no other Turkey!

If a lad reared 50, would a butcher buy them live? I’ve a son with DS and he loves his hens and pigs. Trying to diversify 😉

If a lad reared 50, would a butcher buy them live? I’ve a son with DS and he loves his hens and pigs. Trying to diversify 😉

I don't know. But I'll hazard a guess that a butcher will only want them New York dressed. That would be dead, plucked and ready to chill.
    There'd be a nice bit of work turning out 50 Turkeys NY dressed. It all has to happen in a fairly small time frame.

• Advertisement

Do I need a license for that? Or maybe your man in Kildare with the poultry abattoir on the farm might do.

Do I need a license for that? Or maybe your man in Kildare with the poultry abattoir on the farm might do.

You certainly have to be registered with the Dept. Outside of this requirement I can't advise you. I'm not at that level here so I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭kerryjack

They are handy enough reared and were good for the cash flow around Christmas. we used keep 100 in the sheep shed a couple of barrels on truck tyres halved a few drinkers and fresh straw every couple of days. 2 people would process 20 a day at there ease and customers would order and call to the house to pick up the bird. We packed it up over 20 years ago, we got lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

kerryjack wrote: »
    They are handy enough reared and were good for the cash flow around Christmas. we used keep 100 in the sheep shed a couple of barrels on truck tyres halved a few drinkers and fresh straw every couple of days. 2 people would process 20 a day at there ease and customers would order and call to the house to pick up the bird. We packed it up over 20 years ago, we got lazy.

Any idea what you'd make per bird ding a 100 or so?

Thinking of doing it here next year. Had a few this year to see what they're like and was pleasantly surprised. Can't beat the taste of them either.

Was told by another farmer that does around 100 turkeys and geese that he gets them killed and prep'd etc somewhere in Galway for €9/bird.

Don't think there is a great market for large turkeys any more family's are smaller That was our USP. People want small turkeys now that will be done quick and eaten quicker and you can buy them for 20 quid.

Do most farmers kill their own turkeys or are they sent to
    meat processors?

It's an important life skill here to be able to kill and clean out a chicken or a turkey same as a fish. I could do sheep and pigs too if I was left.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sillycave

We used to do between 100-150...plucking was the slow job, cleaning them out was quick enough but by jaysus your hands would be falling off ya and ur feet too...gave it up after the real hard freeze as it was a bloody nightmare...used to do card game for birds at the start which was great craic....used to boil a huge pot of spuds outside and mix barely when cook...the smell was unreal and the turkeys would eat you to get to it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Do most farmers kill their own turkeys or are they sent to
    meat processors?
    Anyone keeping/rearing any types of fowl must be registered with DAFM - Dept of Agriculture.

AFAIK if you sell turkeys to the public they have to be killed, plucked and eviscerated/cleaned out at a DAFM licenced butcher/abattoir.
    You can rear your own turkeys for your family and friends but they cannot be sold to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Aldi selling turkeys this year for as little as €8.99......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Aldi selling turkeys this year for as little as €8.99......

British turkeys last I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

_Brian wrote: »
    British turkeys last I checked.

According to their website, turkeys are Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

2016 that was. We gotten our turkey from there for last 3 years since our butcher closed down. Have to say it's really good.
    Veg will come from our allotment so that's the hard part left for me:)

Ya a turkey is a turkey at the end of the day hard to tell the difference between 100 euro turkey and a 20 euro turkey, of course we don't know what they are feeding the 20 euro bird I can only imagine the junk they are being fed.

kerryjack wrote: »
    Ya a turkey is a turkey at the end of the day hard to tell the difference between 100 euro turkey and a 20 euro turkey, of course we don't know what they are feeding the 20 euro bird I can only imagine the junk they are being fed.

Wouldnt pay 20 or 100 for a turkey.
    I would want all the paper work to prove the turkey had the best diet possible if spending a 100 on it. Only feeding 4 adults and two kids that won't eat it.

I would pay more than the frozen Tesco ones but not top of the range either. Would go free range more for animal welfare reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

According to their website, turkeys are Irish.

100% the fridge I checked was full of nothing but British turkey and goose.

Maybe they have changed since, that was 6th Dec, Aldi in Cavan

Are many lads here selling turkeys? I remember there used to be live auctions in Maynooth years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Auctions are gone more than 10-15 years.

Advertisement