Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Turkeys

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Ganly and Craigie - Ashbourne Livestock Mart used to have one of the largest turkey sales in Ireland for NYD birds. A lot of the Dublin city and county butchers would buy there. I used to sell heavy cock turkeys there that nobody wanted - 28lb+ birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Is it feasible to rear turkeys and sell live? If I could rear 50 or 100 I’d do it. A market is required before I’d try it.

Simple answer is NO - the days where you could sell live turkeys/poultry at the local market square are long gone.

You can rear and slaughter your own turkeys/broilers for home/other family members/friends but you cannot sell them. Also if you wish to keep poultry you have to be registered with DAFM as a poultry flock irrespective of how many you keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I think you can own 5 un-registered. I read that in a defence of a planning objection, so presume it's correct.

No, if you keep poultry irrespective of numbers you need to register for a flock no from DAFM. It costs nothing and its a simple form to fill out.

"Legislation

All poultry premises, regardless of size or whether or not they are kept on a commercial basis, must be registered with the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine. All persons involved in owning, keeping, dealing or trading in poultry must be registered under the Diseases of Animals Act 1966 (Registration of Poultry Premises) Order 2008 (S.I. No. 42 of 2008 as amended by S.I. No. 57 of 2011) and adhere to the disease prevention and control requirement set out by this legislation. See DAFM for more."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The objection was in 2016, permission was sought for a chicken run & coop for 5 hens Neighbour across road from them objected. Permission was granted. They're a touchy lot at that side of the parish

• Registered Users Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

How much is a day old turkey or a 6 week one now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

They were 7.50 euro this Yr. We do a good few for people they have being buying from us years. No flock number here

Someone was talking about turkeys for €18.99 in one of the supermarkets. No way would that cover costs to the farmer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

There were 2 left in one of the local butcher's this morning, priced at €73 I'd reckon they were about 16-18 lbs wt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

18.99 would cover the cost of buying the chicks at a month old and then the cost of cleaning them out on the other end.

In between the turkeys would have to live off fresh air and then figure out how to kill and pluck themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Can’t believe the variation in price between Dunnes and SuperValu.

Post edited by memorystick on

Advertisement