Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving new job after a week.

Options
  • 15-12-2019 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hey guys. So a quick one for ye. I started a job last Wednesday as a phone repair tech. The shop itself was supposed to be open weeks ago but kept getting delayed. It was a new fitout and ran into loads of problems. So the shop itself opened 2 weeks ago but they kept putting off my starting date (repair side and phone sales sides are different). So I started last week and it's been nothing short of a disaster. I have my own tools but all the other stuff I need are not supplied. Even basic things to repair phones aren't there. Also I had to build my own desk and wiring myself. The shop is half finished, no tools or parts for me to work and the higher ups don't seem too interested in listening to me. I'm thinking of packing it in very soon as I'm getting very frustrated with the lack of support. I know I'd have a different job in January as I was talking to a mate of mine who told me they're hiring then. Should I just cut my losses on this job. I have enough savings to get through Christmas and this job is already getting me down after a week. I didn't sign any contract, just an offer of employment. Cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Start by providing a written list of what’s missing to do specific jobs. Explain that these are needed and certain work can’t be done without them.

Then continue to work away using whatever tools are at hand and repair what is possible.

When jobs come in that can’t be done highlight it immediately to your manager explaining why.

Look for other work but continue to work there and don’t be using up your savings because they are slow to get a proper setup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Just leave ffs. Enjoy your Christmas without the stress of that work environment and then start that new job in January.
    Life is too short man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Casey78 wrote: »
    Just leave ffs. Enjoy your Christmas without the stress of that work environment and then start that new job in January.
    Life is too short man.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm not one to sit around doing nothing. I want to work but as you said life is too short to be dealing with this crap..

_Brian wrote: »
    Start by providing a written list of what’s missing to do specific jobs. Explain that these are needed and certain work can’t be done without them.

Then continue to work away using whatever tools are at hand and repair what is possible.

When jobs come in that can’t be done highlight it immediately to your manager explaining why.

Look for other work but continue to work there and don’t be using up your savings because they are slow to get a proper setup.

It's nigh on impossible to repair stuff. That's my point. I haven't got the gear. I doubt that if a chef got a job he'd have to assemble his own kitchen first and try and cook with half his utensils not supplied..

It's nigh on impossible to repair stuff. That's my point. I haven't got the gear. I doubt that if a chef got a job he'd have to assemble his own kitchen first and try and cook with half his utensils not supplied..

Plenty of engineers will help with set up of work spaces, in a small business you rarely get to just be one thing and to do well in a small business you need to be willing to dig in and do whatever is needed. I’ve worked as service engineer and maintenance management and it’s what I expect of staff.

But you need tools to do the job. I still say stick it out until you have something else sorted and keep savings protected.

Like I said, inform them of the minimum equipment required. Then let them at it. Fix what you can and inform them when something comes in that can’t be repaired.

• Advertisement

Casey78 wrote: »
    Life is too short man.

Why does everything at work need to be a stress. ??

If OP tells them up front the minimum tools needed to do the job it really is just a case of do whatever is possible and keep the head down. Draw the wages until something else is available.

The first response to every little problem at work can’t be “just leave”, op has savings they surely worked hard for, why loose these when they can be protected by staying at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭dubrov

It's not their first response. It looks like these issues have been raised and are being ignored.

Things won't change.

dubrov wrote: »
    It's not their first response. It looks like these issues have been raised and are being ignored.

Things won't change.
    It’s only been a god damn week.
    I’m sorry, but it’s shiit like this that perpetuates the term “snowflake”

Cmere I'm far from a snowflake. Why should I have to put up with this crap? Build my own bloody desk, wire it myself? No tools, parts or training. No help from management even after I said it to them multiple times. I've never walked out in a job. Would you work in this environment if you couldn't even change a phone battery because you had no proper equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Why does everything at work need to be a stress. ??

If OP tells them up front the minimum tools needed to do the job it really is just a case of do whatever is possible and keep the head down. Draw the wages until something else is available.

The first response to every little problem at work can’t be “just leave”, op has savings they surely worked hard for, why loose these when they can be protected by staying at work.

Why should the OP have to tell the wasters anything ? It IS their business and they are asking the the OP to do a job without providing the tools for him to do it...

If I’m hired as a physio tomorrow and the treatment room has no tables.. not my problem... I’m not going to be rushing to the furniture superstore.

If I’m hired to drive a garbage truck and my employers haven’t any any wipers on it ? It’s not a roadworthy vehicle I’m not heading down the motorway in my car to Halfords...

Give people the tools to do the job you hired them to do...

• Advertisement

Cmere I'm far from a snowflake. Why should I have to put up with this crap? Build my own bloody desk, wire it myself? No tools, parts or training. No help from management even after I said it to them multiple times. I've never walked out in a job. Would you work in this environment if you couldn't even change a phone battery because you had no proper equipment?

Much of that is management problem and yes I’d probably look to move on myself.

My point is leave in a way that benifets you. Don’t be using up your savings, stay on, do what can be done and draw their wage until you have secured another better managed position.

Preparing the work area and associated tasks are no big deal on a brand new workplace, it’s not like your going the be rebuilding the desk every week.

Make the point to them that lack of tools is impacting work and then that is their responsibility, offer to put a list together with suppliers etc.

Make the point to them that lack of tools is impacting work and then that is their responsibility, offer to put a list together with suppliers etc.

^^^^This.

It’s near enough Christmas so walk, enjoy the break, and get the new number in January. If the setup is like that I wouldn’t even bother telling them you’re going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Augme

I'd see it out because it seems like a real waste of your saving. Just go in, do what you can and don't stress about it until you get the new job in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭mcgragger

100% wrong.

The man can't do his job. He clearly wants to do it. Been ****ed about for weeks.
    In my opinion he's doing them a favour still being there.

What's the next 6 months going to be like.

Leave the **** and get another job.
    Thats my advice. That place sounds like it won't be there very long

mcgragger wrote: »
    100% wrong.

The man can't do his job. He clearly wants to do it. Been ****ed about for weeks.
    In my opinion he's doing them a favour still being there.

What's the next 6 months going to be like.

Leave the **** and get another job.
    Thats my advice. That place sounds like it won't be there very long

I’m not saying stay six months.
    I’m saying stay until you have another job so you don’t waste hard earned savings.

Go to the job, take their money, either OP will find a new job or they will cop on and buy the equipment. But it’s desperate foolish to walk out of a paying job to use up savings.

And your just making stuff up saying he’s being messed about for weeks, OP clearly states they are only a week on the job.

I’m not saying stay six months.
    I’m saying stay until you have another job so you don’t waste hard earned savings.

Go to the job, take their money, either OP will find a new job or they will cop on and buy the equipment. But it’s desperate foolish to walk out of a paying job to use up savings.

And your just making stuff up saying he’s being messed about for weeks, OP clearly states they are only a week on the job.

The opening was delayed and the OP’s start date kept getting pushed back. The OP clearly states that . That is being messed about for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,082 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Listen to Brian.
    He is giving good advice.
    Move as soon as you have a job to go to.

elperello wrote: »
    Listen to Brian.
    He is giving good advice.
    Move as soon as you have a job to go to.

I can see where Brian is coming from but the fact they are not interested in helping their new hire only fûcking them about.. it IS going to get worse, that isn’t in any doubt... this behavior and lack of respect and communication is a CLEAR indication of where there priorities are and the lack of regard and respect for their brand new employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,668 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Strumms wrote: »
    I can see where Brian is coming from but the fact they are not interested in helping their new hire only fûcking them about.. it IS going to get worse, that isn’t in any doubt... this behavior and lack of respect and communication is a CLEAR indication of where there priorities are and the lack of regard and respect for their brand new employee.

Yes but the OP is still going to get paid.

It's one thing using savings when out of work but another thing entirely to walk away from money because things aren't ideal.

The car could break down in January, the new job could fall through. Any number of things could happen.

If the OP does as suggested, and highlights their inability to do their job currently and the shortcomings, they could be asked to take on the role of setting up a decent repair workshop and could be entitled to ask for extra pay for doing so.

Aside from the money, that wouldn't be a bad thing to be sticking on CV.

• Advertisement

Yes but the OP is still going to get paid.

It's one thing using savings when out of work but another thing entirely to walk away from money because things aren't ideal.

The car could break down in January, the new job could fall through. Any number of things could happen.

If the OP does as suggested, and highlights their inability to do their job currently and the shortcomings, they could be asked to take on the role of setting up a decent repair workshop and could be entitled to ask for extra pay for doing so.

Aside from the money, that wouldn't be a bad thing to be sticking on CV.

Their inability to do their job ? If they have an inability to do their job it is only because their employer hasn’t given them the tools to do it. They have no shortcomings it’s ridiculous and insulting to suggest that.

Be like a fireman being given a few extinguishers and a Ford Mondeo and told “have at it” putting out house fires, unacceptable.

They could be ‘asked’ to do whatever but unless they have been hired to set up a shop (they haven’t) it’s a NO... next you’ll have your employer not wanting to hire window cleaners and suggesting they bring in their ladder and a cloth and off they go...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,668 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Their inability to do their job ? If they have an inability to do their job it is only because their employer hasn’t given them the tools to do it. They have no shortcomings it’s ridiculous and insulting to suggest that.

Be like a fireman being given a few extinguishers and a Ford Mondeo and told “have at it” putting out house fires, unacceptable.

They could be ‘asked’ to do whatever but unless they have been hired to set up a shop (they haven’t) it’s a NO... next you’ll have your employer not wanting to hire window cleaners and suggesting they bring in their ladder and a cloth and off they go...

That's just being dramatic.

I'm not suggesting that they spend the next 40 years there but to do so for a couple of weeks until new job is secure.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Stick with the job until new one comes up.
    All you can do is bring it up what is missing
    But yes do leave when something comes along
    If management can't seem to get it through their heads in startup they clearly don't care enough or know enough. Your working for cowboys.
    You may be less stressed if you stop thinking of it as your problem and think of it as their problem and you'll be moving on as soon as something comes available.

I worked for an employer like this before only that it wasn't a startup but a company that had its glory days behind itself, and was hurtling headless into calmity after calmity.
    I spent more time putting out fires that had been burning before I arrived than doing any actual new work.
    I intended to leave after 2 weeks of starting but was told to stick it until I got something else because not everything you hear such as so and so will be hiring in 3 weeks comes to fruition. It was 5 months before I got to leave. But there is a dark humour you can employ when you know your not staying for long; to be really blasé and to the point to your superiors. I stepped on toes and argued with them telling them that they were spoofing the clients with unbelievable drivel that I would not repeat to them as it's ridiculous. Or ringing them as soon as I got a brick wall and when they tried not answering the phone so they wouldn't have to listen to me telling them that there would be no further progress made due to lack of something I would just send a frank text message saying tried this that and the other thing port is gone no spares in any other machines as all spare machines also have that part blown so am finished here they would panic and ring me straight back as they were terrified the customer would find out.
    They weren't even organised enough to make sure I signed the contract of employment when I told them I would be leaving in 2 weeks they tried to tell me I was in hock for a solid month I told them the contract was not read and was lying somewhere in the boot of the car unsigned if they wanted it.

That's just being dramatic.

I'm not suggesting that they spend the next 40 years there but to do so for a couple of weeks until new job is secure.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and all that.

It’s not dramatic, it’s an accurate reflection and comparison to the situation they have expressed.

Take a couple of weeks off and look for a new job, fûck em, Disingenuous bástards...

If you hire me to be a football coach you better have a pitch, players, footballs... I’m not going to be cutting grass while you sort your shît out.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

It’s not dramatic, it’s an accurate reflection and comparison to the situation they have expressed.

Take a couple of weeks off and look for a new job, fûck em, Disingenuous bástards...

If you hire me to be a football coach you better have a pitch, players, footballs... I’m not going to be cutting grass while you sort your shît out.

Using your football coach analogy that type of attitude is fine for the Jose Mourinhos of this world as they are guaranteed to find a new job elsewhere easily. However for football coaches in the 3rd or 4th division, who cannot pick and choose jobs, they find out that sometimes they may have to buy some new training equipment or book a team coach or something else not strictly in their job description. And they do this without drama as they look at the big picture, they have an opportunity to work and advance their career until a better opportunity comes along.

It is always best to keep working until you get a new job. For one thing leaving a role soon after starting is an awkward issue when it comes to interviews and later when providing a list of job references.

It is always best to keep working until you get a new job. For one thing leaving a role soon after starting is an awkward issue when it comes to interviews and later when providing a list of job references.

No it really isn’t. Quite simply if asked, your reply should be.. “ I decided after some careful consideration and having given it every chance, that the job I applied for was so far removed from the job which they wanted me to do. Thus I was unfortunately given little other recourse then to resign and find work where I am enabled to actually work and contribute in the position that I sought, successfully applied for and accepted.”

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

No it really isn’t. Quite simply if asked, your reply should be.. “ I decided after some careful consideration and having given it every chance, that the job I applied for was so far removed from the job which they wanted me to do. Thus I was unfortunately given little other recourse then to resign and find work where I am enabled to actually work and contribute in the position that I sought, successfully applied for and accepted.”

And many interviewers will be wary of someone quitting a job after a week. If I was interviewing the OP in January I would prefer to hear the interviewee say that he or she was still in the role but looking for a more suitable role because of the problems as stated. Otherwise employers might think that such a prospective employee might also quit the job they are offering if it too isn't "perfect".

People are expected to work through job problems and try their best to resolve. Paid employment is always ****ty in some respects, if it wasn't people would do it for free.

People are expected to work through job problems and try their best to resolve. Paid employment is always ****ty in some respects, if it wasn't people would do it for free.

Resolve what ? They can do SFA to resolve, the problem is of the employers making.

People wouldn’t work for free, what are you on about ? People work to earn themselves an income, to live, to provide for themselves, family and to enjoy life. Enjoy it away from some cocknocker who is trying to influence you or hassle you to do jobs that exceed your agreement and precedent of employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

OP been there got the t shirt.

In my case it was a massive building project and we had to buy our own kettle and run it off a petrol genny in the middle of the shed.

Took weeks to sort basic stuff. They kept trying to skimp and cut corners. Order 2000 screws, get 200 type of thing. 1 GPS between 4 setting out engineers.
    Myself and another section manager were told by company director to pour concrete ourselves one afternoon!!

I knew from week 1 I'd not be staying. I also knew I had a job to walk into. Or so I thought.

I stayed where I was. Next job fell through as proposed employer lost 2 other jobs and used his existing staff.

I'd stick with the advice given by Brian etc.
    It was mentioned but this great dark humour developed. Everyone knew the project was a mess. Everyone knew the lads like myself were itching to leave. We all went in daily. We all did a bit. We all went for breakfast on a friday.

Basically leave when you've a new job. Let them pay you till then

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the advice. I'm probably going to leave this week. Its only a few weeks until January so I'm going to enjoy Christmas and then start the new job in January. Even today I went in and I have no power at my work station. There's carpenters there and dust all over. Not worth it.

Advertisement