Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving new job after a week.

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Cheers for all the advice. I'm probably going to leave this week. Its only a few weeks until January so I'm going to enjoy Christmas and then start the new job in January. Even today I went in and I have no power at my work station. There's carpenters there and dust all over. Not worth it.

You're doing the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When you leave tell us the shop so it can be avoided for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,668 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Well, when anyone says the boom isn't back, this thread does indicate that it certainly is.
    Both in terms of a business paying staff who can't do their job, and staff deciding, 'Nah, I'll pick up a new job easy enough'.

I remember 10 years ago reading stories about literally thousands of people applying for jobs in a new fast food restaurant.

Enjoy the christmas OP, the above isn't a dig at you, just an observation of the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Well I completely packed it in today. Had an incident which was the last straw. First of all I went in this morning and the place was worse than usual. Rubbish and cables everywhere from the electrician. I was sitting at my desk (that I built myself if you remember) and my phone rang. I pulled it out of my pocket and didn't bother answering it as it was my brother. Said I'll ring him back in a while. About 10 minutes later the manager gets a phone call about me from head office saying that they're looking at the cameras and that I shouldn't be on the phone. Watching me like that was too much, especially after everything that's gone on. I told the manager I'm done with the place but I'll stay on for a few days to make sure they're not stuck. He rang head office and they pretty much said that I was to go today. So off I went. I've already 100% got a job secured for January so I'm just gonna chill and enjoy Christmas. Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate it. Happy Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You get really royally fûcked up the arse, insulted and treated like dog shît yet you tell them that you’ll stay a few days so they are not stuck...jeeesus wept. It’s beyond comprehension why people start threads moaning about their employers (quite rightly) yet want to help them an enable them in their behavior.

What your employer was doing also was illegal btw... monitoring performance via video camera..

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/data_protection_at_work/surveillance_of_electronic_communications_in_the_workplace.html

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    You get really royally fûcked up the arse, insulted and treated like dog shît yet you tell them that you’ll stay a few days so they are not stuck...jeeesus wept. It’s beyond comprehension why people start threads moaning about their employers (quite rightly) yet want to help them an enable them in their behavior.

What your employer was doing also was illegal btw... monitoring performance via video camera..

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/data_protection_at_work/surveillance_of_electronic_communications_in_the_workplace.html

Don't know where you work, but, they have my sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Well, when anyone says the boom isn't back, this thread does indicate that it certainly is.
    Both in terms of a business paying staff who can't do their job, and staff deciding, 'Nah, I'll pick up a new job easy enough'.

I remember 10 years ago reading stories about literally thousands of people applying for jobs in a new fast food restaurant.

Enjoy the christmas OP, the above isn't a dig at you, just an observation of the situation.

Yea.
    The overriding message here is.
    They aren’t tripping over my every need and whims so I’m not having that, and it’s only a few weeks and I can have a great handy time over Christmas while I burn through some savings.

I’ve been interviewing staff a long time, maintenance staff, OP is exactly the person we try and avoid. This type of person needs constant spoon Feeding and validation and will be moaning constantly rather than getting stuck in and getting the job done.

Some day OP will have responsibilities, be that mortgage, car payments or kids, or like many workers all three, what happens when things aren’t 100% at his workstation, working hard and making things work isn’t just something people say, sometimes you actually have to dig in and work hard at something.

If the power is off at your workstation and it’s contaminated then go to your manager and explain that all repairs are impossible amd is there something else you can help with until it’s resolved. Start making that list of tools that are missing, ring round suppliers and see who is best value, check your stock, check it again.
    Or you could be a quitter.

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea.
    They aren’t tripping over my every need and whims so I’m not having that, and it’s only a few weeks and I can have a great handy time over Christmas while I burn through some savings.

I’ve been interviewing staff a long time, maintenance staff, OP is exactly the person we try and avoid. This type of person needs constant spoon Feeding and validation and will be moaning constantly rather than getting stuck in and getting the job done.

Some day OP will have responsibilities, be that mortgage, car payments or kids, or like many workers all three, what happens when things aren’t 100% at his workstation, working hard and making things work isn’t just something people say, sometimes you actually have to dig in and work hard at something.

If the power is off at your workstation and it’s contaminated then go to your manager and explain that all repairs are impossible amd is there something else you can help with until it’s resolved. Start making that list of tools that are missing, ring round suppliers and see who is best value, check your stock, check it again.

I doubt many would want to work for you. Absolute clinker of a power trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭dubrov

Some seriously judgemental opinions above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Yea.

Will you get over yourself. I've worked all over the world doing filthy jobs and I just got on with it. I worked 3 years in Christchurch new Zealand and most of that time I was shovelling **** and unblocking drains. I just got on with it. I've never left a job after a week. Never. But yet I'm the bad guy when I leave a job because everything I was promised didn't materialise and I was plain lied to along with constant monitoring while I had to sit in dust and filth. Yeah, **** me right.

• Advertisement

Yea.

An employee should NEVER carry out work or duties that they have not agreed to as part of their employment, end of. Regardless of the situation.

You do this to ‘kill time’ all of a sudden a precedent is set and it’s ‘your job’ going forward. When things pick up you will not be able to offload it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

An employee should NEVER carry out work or duties that they have not agreed to as part of their employment, end of. Regardless of the situation.

You do this to ‘kill time’ all of a sudden a precedent is set and it’s ‘your job’ going forward. When things pick up you will not be able to offload it.

One trick ponies are ten a penny.
    Employees that can get jobs done and further the company are an actual asset worth hiring paying and looking after.

Someone said to me the other day we need a recession to straighten a few things out, I disagreed but maybe I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Cmere I'm far from a snowflake. Why should I have to put up with this crap? Build my own bloody desk, wire it myself? No tools, parts or training. No help from management even after I said it to them multiple times. I've never walked out in a job. Would you work in this environment if you couldn't even change a phone battery because you had no proper equipment?

Turn it around, how can this actually benefit you? If you set the place up you will be able to show that you’ve initiative and perseverance, when looking for a new position. That will go down well with many prospective employers. Much better than a story about not been given the tools to do your job.

Of course you should be looking for a better position. However, try and avoid employment gaps, if possible.

One trick ponies are ten a penny.
    Employees that can get jobs done and further the company are an actual asset worth hiring paying and looking after.

Someone said to me the other day we need a recession to straighten a few things out, I disagreed but maybe I was wrong.

Yes, we need a recession, good man, I’ve head some pony in my time on boards but somebody actually typing... ‘we need a recession’...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

OP I was one who said you should stay until you had your new job in the new year.

BUT they were watching you on a camera and got on to you for looking at your phone. In the first week.

Bye bye.

What sort of lunatic micro manager pulls that stunt?

Yes, we need a recession, good man, I’ve head some pony in my time on boards but somebody actually typing... ‘we need a recession’...

You need to read, and understand, the rest of their post....

Advertisement