Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Adult Children Living in the Family Home a Good Thing?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Beau Bennett

the government should introduce a tax for adults living at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Why exactly? Bad thing I think because it will simply mean more homeless on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Makes far more sense to be at home as an adult just so as long as you are eventually saving to buy/build a place of your own.

I know everyone's circumstance is different but IMO it is pure stupidity these days to rent rent rent from a landlord with nothing to show for it in the end. If you have the opportunity to stay at home and save then one should do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Local authorities charge an adult rate for everyone over the age of 18 living in the home. If an adult child has an income, it will be assessed in full towards the rent, as part of the differential rent scheme.

If the adult child's income is more then their parent's (e.g. a working adult child living with a pensioner or widowed parent) then their income will be assessed as the primary income in the home for rent assessment purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭foodie86

Makes far more sense to be at home as an adult just so as long as you are eventually saving to buy/build a place of your own.

I know everyone's circumstance is different but IMO it is pure stupidity these days to rent rent rent from a landlord with nothing to show for it in the end. If you have the opportunity to stay at home and save then one should do so.

Completely agree, currently at home saving for mortgage and wedding. Will move out when married. Fiancé living with his parents also and suits everyone just fine.

Siblings of ours living and working on farms no rent paid. Part of Their “pay” would always have been be dinners/washing/ etc. It’s a great way of saving..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Do they want to buy an even bigger printer or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

What on earth has you at that conclusion? I think people pay enough tax. All it will do is make people reconsider living at home and in cases where it doesn't suit anymore (if the adult is already contributing to the upkeep of the house) they'll move out and create even bigger demand for rental accommodation. That's the last thing needed

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

To what end? To encourage the parents to evict them at 18, to ensure they can't afford college?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

the_syco wrote: »
    To what end? To encourage the parents to evict them at 18, to ensure they can't afford college?

The entire SUSI grant allocation criteria would have to be entirely revamped because currently if your family home is a set distance from the college you are attending you get only the basic 135eu a month.

If people start moving out due to the tax, SUSI would have to start paying it to people regardless of where their family home is and ultimately it would cost the taxpayer more, so the taxpayer would be taking more money but then spending more too - pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

1123heavy wrote: »
    so the taxpayer would be taking more money but then spending more too - pointless.
    Would also cause a brain drain long term, as less people would be graduating from college.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing that Beau Bennett means that private home owners should declare any financial contribution made by adults living in their home for tax purposes - not that there should be a standard "adult child" tax charge.

Can adult children living at home be included under the rent-a-room scheme?

I pointed out how local authorities already assess adult children towards rent.

AulWan wrote: »

Can adult children living at home be included under the rent-a-room scheme?

Crazily, they cannot. So technically any child who pays rent their parents should be paying tax on it. Now this of course never actually happens you can be sure but they should in theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Crazily, they cannot. So technically any child who pays rent their parents should be paying tax on it. Now this of course never actually happens you can be sure but they should in theory.

My folks always insisted on cash :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

it appears to cause stunted development, delayed entry into adulthood, lack of self reliance and in some cases narrow mindedness which develops from living deep into adulthood with immediate family (narrow social circle).

Meeting people who lived with parents deep into their 20s, they didn't have those formative and developmental experiences normal people get form moving out at 18 to go to college or travel etc. Meeting new people/ being exposed to broader opinions and people from diverse backgrounds etc.

Consequently people can become quite insular and narrow minded, as they are living in a very homogeneous environment where opinions and certain prejudices rarely get challenged.

All in all, moving out from the parents house should be something normal people aspire to quite early in life, if only to cut the chord, and have a better shot with the opposite sex.. ;)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm 24 and still at home. It's fine as I get on with my family, and they live in Dublin so it's handy for job options, but I'm aiming to move out next year and buy an apartment around the corner from then.

gourcuff wrote: »
    it appears to cause stunted development, delayed entry into adulthood, lack of self reliance and in some cases narrow mindedness which develops from living deep into adulthood with immediate family (narrow social circle).

Meeting people who lived with parents deep into their 20s, they didn't have those formative and developmental experiences normal people get form moving out at 18 to go to college or travel etc. Meeting new people/ being exposed to broader opinions and people from diverse backgrounds etc.

Consequently people can become quite insular and narrow minded, as they are living in a very homogeneous environment where opinions and certain prejudices rarely get challenged.

All in all, moving out from the parents house should be something normal people aspire to quite early in life, if only to cut the chord, and have a better shot with the opposite sex.. ;)...

That's all complete nonsense to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

That's all complete nonsense to be fair.

i can confirm that you are correct.
    being one of the so-called "normal" people who did everything, and in the exact way, the poster expects such so-called normal people to do, i have met people who disprove the stereo type who have lived at home for longer, and people who got out as soon as they could who actually fit it dispite leaving home as early as they could.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

gourcuff wrote: »

100% agree with this. Based on some of the posts on this thread alone!

Advertisement