Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I Upgrade My Network Card - Dell

Options
  • 15-12-2019 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

I have an old Dell Vostro 1015 that I still occasionally use. I run Windows update once a week and it is taking longer and longer.

I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade the network card to get higher download speeds.

Is there a site that I can go to and put in my make and model and then the part (what is the correct description of the part?).

Thanks,

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have an old Dell Vostro 1015 that I still occasionally use. I run Windows update once a week and it is taking longer and longer.

I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade the network card to get higher download speeds.

Is there a site that I can go to and put in my make and model and then the part (what is the correct description of the part?).

Thanks,

T

If you mean your WiFi card?
    Yes, mini-pci card will do the trick.

If you an integrated NIC, then no.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭pinkfloydian

Thanks banie01

I mean the part where I connect my ethernet cable.

T

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks banie01

I mean the part where I connect my ethernet cable.

T

Nope, not upgradeable. If you are limited to 10/100 on the Vostro, you could probably workaround it with USB to LAN adapter.

If your home network is Gigabit capable, something like this UGREEN Ethernet Adapter, Gigabit Lan Network Adapter 1000Mbps USB 3.0 to RJ45 Adaptor for Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP; Linux; Mac OS 10.6 and Higher, Compatible with Macbook, Nintendo Switch etc. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MYTSN18/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1-H9Db43BS49G

Thanks for your advice banie01. Much appreciated.

I also own a Dell Inspiron 7380, which does not have an ethernet connection, so I use a TP-Link USB to Gigabit Ethernet network Adapter

I bought this simply because the laptop has no RJ45 connection.

Am I wrong to believe that because I have 10/100 integrated in the Vostro, that adding a Gigabit adapter will make absolutely no difference?

T

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Yeah you are wrong, you can add a gigabit adapter and use it instead of the integrated one.

tbh though I'd suspect windows update being noticeably slower is down to Windows rather than the speed of your connection (unless perhaps a cable or something has gone bad or something and you are "only" connecting at 10Mbps now instead of 100Mbps). The only real answer to speed it up might be a clean up to date windows install :-/

• Advertisement

Thanks minitrue.

I understand what I need to do now.

Appreciate both yours and banie01 advice.

T

Advertisement