Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep going blind in shed

• 15-12-2019 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭

As above I’ve the sheep divided into four different sheds and all are being fed silage in sound feeders. They are getting a lot white eyes. Got eye tubes of the vet which seem to solve it but anyone got any ideas what’s causing it or how to stop it happening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

As above I’ve the sheep divided into four different sheds and all are being fed silage in sound feeders. They are getting a lot white eyes. Got eye tubes of the vet which seem to solve it but anyone got any ideas what’s causing it or how to stop it happening?

It sounds like listeriosis but you'd want to get your vet to confirm.

Any moldy silage would want to be removed from the ewes before they get a chance to eat it. It's more common with silage than hay but either can cause it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=listeriosis+in+sheep&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE841IE844&oq=listeriosis&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l7.7446j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It sounds like listeriosis but you'd want to get your vet to confirm.

Any moldy silage would want to be removed from the ewes before they get a chance to eat it. It's more common with silage than hay but either can cause it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=listeriosis+in+sheep&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE841IE844&oq=listeriosis&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l7.7446j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Listeria blindness is from the brain damage, there'd never be anything to see on the eye. They'd be stupid as well and off feed, difficult to cure listeria
    What it sounds like is an infection from damage to the eye from rooting into the silage and prodding the eye, especially as the antibiotic cures it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I don’t think it’s listeriosis, isn’t that what causes meningitis? The silage is very clean, maybe a tiny white patch the size of my hand on outer layer of silage. The tubes are working wonders but it’s annoying how sheep in all sheds got it when they weren’t mixing. Vet said it’s from tiny bits of clay in the silage more than likely. The silage was made in nice dry weather, unless it was cut very tight but I didn’t think anything of it at the time. Vet also said to open the bales a day before feeding but the bales are barrel wrapped so I just have the top cut of one now for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

wrangler wrote: »
    Listeria blindness is from the brain damage, there'd never be anything to see on the eye. They'd be stupid as well and off feed, difficult to cure listeria
    What it sounds like is an infection from damage to the eye from rooting into the silage and prodding the eye, especially as the antibiotic cures it

I’m afraid your wrong on this one, listeria causes blindness and meningitis, two different diseases but the same bacterial cause so the op needs to be vigilant and keep an eye for any cases of listeria meningitis. Blindness from listeria due to feeding bales will cause a white discoloration of the eye and is often called silage eye, it’s essentially what your describing but it’s still caused by listeria in most cases

https://www.nadis.org.uk/disease-a-z/sheep/eye-diseases-in-sheep/

I’m afraid your wrong on this one, listeria causes blindness and meningitis, two different diseases but the same bacterial cause so the op needs to be vigilant and keep an eye for any cases of listeria meningitis. Blindness from listeria due to feeding bales will cause a white discoloration of the eye and is often called silage eye, it’s essentially what your describing but it’s still caused by listeria in most cases

https://www.nadis.org.uk/disease-a-z/sheep/eye-diseases-in-sheep/

Every day's a school day, I've never seen a listeria case with an infection on their eyes ....... and they'd all be blind in one eye at least

• Advertisement

So how does the listeria get on the silage and can it be prevented in the future?

So how does the listeria get on the silage and can it be prevented in the future?

Prevented by
    Proper baling and extra wrapping.
    Avoid clay in the silage.
    don't give them poor quality silage.
    Don't make them eat rejected stale silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Is it more common in grass that was tedded out and raked due to the higher clay content

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

I had a pink eye infection outbreak few years ago in the autumn time, one ewe I didn't get treating went blind in both eyes, couldn't get her out of
    the field at the time, left her alone and she made full recovery

Is it more common in grass that was tedded out and raked due to the higher clay content

Yea in bad conditions clay will be dragged in,
    It's one reason that I don't feed silage to sheep now

• Advertisement

I inspected the silage closely earlier and no signs of clay in it. Unless it’s not visible. I’d say 1/3 of the lambs had sore eyes yesterday/today but thankfully are improving with the tubes.

I inspected the silage closely earlier and no signs of clay in it. Unless it’s not visible. I’d say 1/3 of the lambs had sore eyes yesterday/today but thankfully are improving with the tubes.

My money would still be on just a common eye infection, plenty farmers get out breaks of eye infections, it's a pain in the butt but curable

Advertisement