Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long can a teacher's sick leave last?

• 15-12-2019 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am a substitute teacher covering a teacher's long term sick leave since end of August.
    I am told that the teacher has a non curable illness that means they will likely never return to the classroom but will instead most likely take early retirement in the future (theyre in their 50s).
    What I'm wondering is how long could they actually continue to take sick leave for before they would need to either return to the classroom or give up their job (through early retirement or otherwise)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

3 months full pay, 3 months half pay in a rolling four year period. After that there's no pay for sick leave. I believe a teacher can apply for paid sick leave to be extended for certain extenuating circumstances but off the top of my head I can't name any in particular.

After that they could take unpaid leave, career break etc, if they could afford it.

Advertisement