Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need fibre.. its just the last 20 feet.. help

• 16-12-2019 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

So I live in urban Dublin in a 1960's estate. Fibre in the area, neighbours have it. Cabinet not too far away. But I can't get it. Everyone says no, reason being the connection from my street to the house is from the dark ages and needs to be replaced.

As far as I'm aware there is no way of forcing them to do this. The only "advice" I got from an Eir contractor was to dig up the line in my garden!!

I have no idea who to complain to or to try and convince. Shutters come down straight away. It's extraordinary the effort going into getting a lines to remote rural Ireland and they won't fix a tiny problem in my front yard!

Any advice greatly appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Moe1013 wrote: »
    It's extraordinary the effort going into getting a lines to remote rural Ireland and they won't fix a tiny problem in my front yard!
    There's a million people in rural Ireland to benefit from the nbp. You're one person. Back to your question. You're probably better off following the advice you got from the contractor. Dig the trench yourself. Enter your eircode here
    https://dcenr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=9d14d1255e2242a1b0ce04bf6fc9c5d3
    If you're Amber youl be covered by nbp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭unhappyBB

What exactly are they saying is the problem with the line? Does it exist? Is it cut? Has water gotten in and the signal is terrible?
    Did you try connect it to a phone to see if theres a dial tone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So I live in urban Dublin in a 1960's estate. Fibre in the area, neighbours have it. Cabinet not too far away. But I can't get it. Everyone says no, reason being the connection from my street to the house is from the dark ages and needs to be replaced.

As far as I'm aware there is no way of forcing them to do this. The only "advice" I got from an Eir contractor was to dig up the line in my garden!!

I have no idea who to complain to or to try and convince. Shutters come down straight away. It's extraordinary the effort going into getting a lines to remote rural Ireland and they won't fix a tiny problem in my front yard!

Any advice greatly appreciated..

Not sure your aware moe.

But folks in rural Ireland will be told the same thing if their property doesn't support easy access for the line.

Have you considered digging up the garden ? It's 20 feet as you say. You could do it with a spade or rent a mini digger.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Moe1013

unhappyBB wrote: »
    What exactly are they saying is the problem with the line? Does it exist? Is it cut? Has water gotten in and the signal is terrible?
    Did you try connect it to a phone to see if theres a dial tone?

I’m told it’s the connector to the line on the street. The tech in it is ancient. Literally in the manhole cover outside my house. Nothing wrong with the copper line, speeds about 10

listermint wrote: »
    Not sure your aware moe.

But folks in rural Ireland will be told the same thing if their property doesn't support easy access for the line.

Have you considered digging up the garden ? It's 20 feet as you say. You could do it with a spade or rent a mini digger.

Dont get me wrong, I think broadband is a modern essential, wherever you live. The complexity and cost in delivering it to some people is large, in my case is v small. Digging up my own garden to break something is a very Irish solution!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Melodeon

The only "advice" I got from an Eir contractor was to dig up the line in my garden!!

Without in any suggesting that this was what the Eir contractor in question here meant, but that 'advice' could mistakenly be interpreted to mean that if the line crossing under the garden were to develop a fault, perhaps during the digging of the garden or excavating for a pond, for example, then the entire line might have to be replaced.
    Obviously, this would be done with modern materials and equipment, which would provide the happy side effect of vastly improving your connection to the network.
    ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

possibly your neighbours are connected to the local cabinet, but you're connected directly to the exchange. If your line was run earlier than theirs this might be the case, the Eir copper network is a mess in urban areas.

Melodeon wrote: »
    Without in any suggesting that this was what the Eir contractor in question here meant, but that 'advice' could mistakenly be interpreted to mean that if the line crossing under the garden were to develop a fault, perhaps during the digging of the garden or excavating for a pond, for example, then the entire line might have to be replaced.
    Obviously, this would be done with modern materials and equipment, which would provide the happy side effect of vastly improving your connection to the network.
    ;):D

Mmmm how deep do these lines run? I suppose if it got damaged as it connects to the main it would need replacing too. I don’t think it’s connected directly to the exchange either.. but who knows! The whole thing is daft.

I’m assuming Eir couldn’t be persuaded to fit one if i defect from Sky? I’m guessing this is a no no in the interest of fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I’m assuming Eir couldn’t be persuaded to fit one if i defect from Sky? I’m guessing this is a no no in the interest of fairness!

All companies have the same power when it comes to contacting Open Eir. Eir retail are generally more reluctant than others when it comes to making some extra effort.

Advertisement