Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powersharing Talks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,057 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Previous deal plus a few more quid burned for the Ulster Scots nonsense. And possibly burying the RHI report for good

The two other issues that SF had to try crucify the DUP over are done deals now

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

L1011 wrote: »
    And possibly burying the RHI report for good

I'd be amazed if that is agreed to. That would be blatantly corrupt.

We are talking about the DUP, remember!

SF are also unlikely to come out entirely clear from it (the final delay and some other bits); however in comparison to the DUP it'll be almost irrelevant really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If they can’t agree a way to govern then give them another pay cut, no point in getting paid for not doing your job, and That will have everyone reaching a compromise pretty quickly.

If they can’t agree a way to govern then give them another pay cut, no point in getting paid for not doing your job, and That will have everyone reaching a compromise pretty quickly.

Plenty of them are working at something else while Stormont isn't there - many of them are legal professionals for starters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,110 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Wasnt the report into Russian interference buried until after the elections?
    If the RHI report does come out it will be a whitewash ...the people who profited were mainly DUP voters, including family and friends.

Just one example below there are plenty more
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/relatives-of-arlene-foster-adviser-had-11-boilers-in-rhi-scheme-1.3628267?mode=amp&_gl=1*1x48ohz*_ga*YW1wLWJOUmItbHdJN1U3dTV3dHg5Y05jY1ZzaHdBemhMVGlrVnJjc0J4Z05vdkQ0a1loWFgxN2w5dUNpRDdBSmFPT1k

gmisk wrote: »
    Wasnt the report into Russian interference buried until after the elections?
    If the RHI report does come out it will be a whitewash ...the people who profited were mainly DUP voters, including family and friends.

Just one example below there are plenty more
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/relatives-of-arlene-foster-adviser-had-11-boilers-in-rhi-scheme-1.3628267?mode=amp&_gl=1%2A1x48ohz%2A_ga%2AYW1wLWJOUmItbHdJN1U3dTV3dHg5Y05jY1ZzaHdBemhMVGlrVnJjc0J4Z05vdkQ0a1loWFgxN2w5dUNpRDdBSmFPT1k

It was buried by a party in government with the power to bury it.

Could the DUP get away with that in the north? Shame on all the parties that allow that IMO.
    As I say, I can't see it happening.

*And the word was, it was going to hurt the DUP so not seeing a whitewash either.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Both SF and the DUP are desperate to avoid an Assembly election, as they will both suffer huge losses. That makes a deal more likely.

However, the intransigence of both parties makes that hard. If the RHI report is to come out, there will be political agreement that Arlene is clear of blame (some other fallguy may be found), if not, then it will be buried.

A Minority Languages Act that recognises the "special place of Ulster Scots" was always the available compromise on the other outstanding issue.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Both SF and the DUP are desperate to avoid an Assembly election, as they will both suffer huge losses. That makes a deal more likely.

However, the intransigence of both parties makes that hard. If the RHI report is to come out, there will be political agreement that Arlene is clear of blame (some other fallguy may be found), if not, then it will be buried.

A Minority Languages Act that recognises the "special place of Ulster Scots" was always the available compromise on the other outstanding issue.

What in your opinion was wrong with the agreement reached in 2018?

What in your opinion was wrong with the agreement reached in 2018?

Agreement wasn't reached, it was in draft, it was never finalised, events have moved on with same-sex marriage, election results that pulverised the DUP and SF etc.

You sound like a traditional Northern Ireland politician, clinging on to some past agreement that you interpret in a way peculiar to yourself.

• Advertisement

Agreement wasn't reached, it was in draft, it was never finalised, events have moved on with same-sex marriage, election results that pulverised the DUP and SF etc.

You sound like a traditional Northern Ireland politician, clinging on to some past agreement that you interpret in a way peculiar to yourself.

So what was wrong with it in 'draft' form?

So what was wrong with it in 'draft' form?

As I have pointed out, events have moved on.

There was nothing wrong with the Border agreement between the rulers of the city-states of Lagash and Umma in Mesopotamia around 2100 BC, but it has no relevance now.

As I have pointed out, events have moved on.

There was nothing wrong with the Border agreement between the rulers of the city-states of Lagash and Umma in Mesopotamia around 2100 BC, but it has no relevance now.

The reason we are here is because things have no 'moved on' with respect to rights and agreements and the terms and spirit of the GFA.

What has 'changed' in your view?

The reason we are here is because things have no 'moved on' with respect to rights and agreements and the terms and spirit of the GFA.

What has 'changed' in your view?

Northern Ireland is not a fossilized place, things move on all the time. Would you not accept that the recent general election, which saw 100,000 people desert the two sectarian parties as representing change?

Northern Ireland is not a fossilized place, things move on all the time. Would you not accept that the recent general election, which saw 100,000 people desert the two sectarian parties as representing change?

I see politicians as having being told to get back to work and sort the 'issues' out. Not to ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Hopefully the crooked people responsible, who well understood the implications of RHI as it was written IMO, get what they deserve.
    Shouldn't be allowed to be anywhere near an election ever again. Good riddance.

As far the rest of them... Stop the pay immediately. If I was getting paid to not work I know what I would do.

Advertisement