Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon Headset Replacement

Options
  • 16-12-2019 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭

Hi there, anyone ever replace a Canyon headset? Recent bad weather has finally paid the price on mine. I commute on a roadlite AL 6.0. Got onto Canyon support for the size and they'll sell me one for £53.9 GBP (~€60) + Postage.

It's a Tange IS-22 SCT headset. Anyone ever buy an aftermarket one that fits? When asked they didn't think there was.

Cheers....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That's crazy!
    It's probably only the two bearing that you need replacing, I have a Canyon Ultimate SLX and was sold the replacement bearings. €12 (inc VAT)for the pair, which was incredibly cheap. This was back in 2017.
    If you get the bearing size you can get a quote from canyon on the exact parts you need or else there are some ebay sellers that may have them cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jinks

You definitely just need to replace a bearing. I think back in 2015 I replaced one on roadlite AL 6.0 by ordering the following from Superstar components for 7.99 sterling:

Type 1 - Headset Bearings 36x45 Degree - Cane Creek Compatible

If you take the headset apart the size might even be written on the bearing. I would hope Canyon can just tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Great replies, thanks a mill. Mine's a 2012 Roadlite 6.0 AL, headset has lasted nearly 8 years so can't complain. Didn't realise they were encased bearings like a octalink BB, I anticipated cone & bearing jobbies like wheel axles.

You're right though, I'll take them apart and see if there's any measurements. I think degrees is a factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes double check everything, Canyon are known for using non standard parts.
    Should be able to find out what bearing it is once the identifier hasn't completely rusted off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

If the bearings are in a cartridge then there should be specs stamped into the case and you should be able to get numerous sets for the quoted 60 quid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I have 2 bearings from a canyon roadlite 2012, used but just checked and they seem to be spinning nicely, no friction, so I think they are fine. Bike didn't get a whole lot of use and I've since stripped the groupset and transferred to another bike but didn't reuse the headset, based in Dublin and work in City centre if any use to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I have 2 bearings from a canyon roadlite 2012, used but just checked and they seem to be spinning nicely, no friction, so I think they are fine. Bike didn't get a whole lot of use and I've since stripped the groupset and transferred to another bike but didn't reuse the headset, based in Dublin and work in City centre if any use to you?

Fantastic Wersal, that would be amazing :D. I work around the docklands but can arrange collection from you in and around the city centre.

Advertisement