Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to hire an electrician?

Options
  • 16-12-2019 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭

Do you now need to hire an electrician to replace a light fitting of socket in a place you are renting?
    Not sure what the legislation is now and it would be something I would do in my own house or in the past in a rental.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭chunkylover4

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Do you now need to hire an electrician to replace a light fitting of socket in a place you are renting?
    Not sure what the legislation is now and it would be something I would do in my own house or in the past in a rental.

The following link shows a list of restricted works- https://safeelectric.ie/help-advice/controlled-restricted-electrical-works/

My understanding is like for like replacemnet of a light socket is fine. Minor works are fine within the existing circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

If you're asking about laws then post on the electrical forum and you'll get a well informed answer.

If you mean it with respect to renting*-
    1. it's the landlords job to take care of this stuff.
    2. You shouldn't do anything remotely like this without the landlords permission.

(edit: *I might have taken you up wrong and you're actually the landlord. If so, sorry, nevermind).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

If you're asking about laws then post on the electrical forum and you'll get a well informed answer.

If you mean it with respect to renting-
    1. it's the landlords job to take care of this stuff.
    2. You shouldn't do anything remotely like this without the landlords permission.
    I'm the landlord and wondering how it applies now.I could pop down replace the fitting. Don't know if only electricians are allowed now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭disposableFish

I'm the landlord and wondering how it applies now.I could pop down replace the fitting. Don't know if only electricians are allowed now

Whoops, as I said you'll get a more thorough answer on the electrical forum, but the general gist is that you're allowed to make like-for-like replacement of fittings.

What's not allowed is any kind of replacement/alteration/addition to wiring/circuits or anything at all to do with the consumer unit or bathrooms.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Thread moved to Electrical forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As above:
    Any competent person is permitted to do a like for like replacement such as this in a domestic installation. Having said that it may be prudent to talk to your landlord first.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Light fittings in bathrooms need REC I think

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Light fittings in bathrooms need REC I think

Good point. You are correct. Changing a light fitting in a bathroom requires a Registered Electrical Contractor. Changing a bulb in the bathroom doesn’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

2011 wrote: »
    Good point. You are correct. Changing a light fitting in a bathroom requires a Registered Electrical Contractor. Changing a bulb in the bathroom doesn’t.

Knew of a guy who always got a spark to change his light bulbs.
    He was inept in so many other ways according to his colleagues!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Knew of a guy who always got a spark to change his light bulbs.
    He was inept in so many other ways according to his colleagues!

Probably a cabinet minister.

• Advertisement
Advertisement