Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey being extradited to France

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Breaking - absurd third French request for Ian Bailey's extradition has just been refused by the High Court. Allez les Irlandais!

Excellent news. Extraditing someone to France for a crime that he was never prosecuted for in Ireland is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The correct result, the arrogance of the French prosecuting in someones absence and then requesting their extradition when they refuse to extradite French nationals themselves is something else.

Id love to know what pull the du Plantier family have with the Elysee Palace. Its really remarkable the lengths the French state went to on this, they wouldnt have done it for an ordinary joe soap

I agree with you whole heartedly but I have to say I feel desperately sorry for the du Plantier family. Sophie was brutally murdered and the subsequent Garda investigation consisted of little more than setting up the local weirdo with a little help from an unhinged fantasist. Whatever chance there was of bringing Sophie's killer to justice was destroyed. I don't really blame them for wanting it to be Bailey, that's the only suspect ever truly pursued. But the carry on and arrogance of the French prosecution in this matter is nauseating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

The correct result, the arrogance of the French prosecuting in someones absence and then requesting their extradition when they refuse to extradite French nationals themselves is something else.

Id love to know what pull the du Plantier family have with the Elysee Palace. Its really remarkable the lengths the French state went to on this, they wouldnt have done it for an ordinary joe soap

Somebody should remind them of Trevor O'Keefe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Breaking - absurd third French request for Ian Bailey's extradition has just been refused by the High Court. Allez les Irlandais!

Thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Shouldn't it be the Brits job to look out for this guy, he's their citizen let them worry about him.

Just put him on a plane and be done with it.

Didn't take long for the xenophobes to arrive I see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Didn't take long for the xenophobes to arrive I see.

8 months :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I agree with you whole heartedly but I have to say I feel desperately sorry for the du Plantier family. Sophie was brutally murdered and the subsequent Garda investigation consisted of little more than setting up the local weirdo with a little help from an unhinged fantasist. Whatever chance there was of bringing Sophie's killer to justice was destroyed. I don't really blame them for wanting it to be Bailey, that's the only suspect ever truly pursued. But the carry on and arrogance of the French prosecution in this matter is nauseating.

yeah would agree whole heartedly with that, the du Plantier family do deserve justice. But just not justice in some cack handed way using a kangaroo court in France and then trying to extradite from Ireland where the DPP already said the evidence against him wouldnt stand up in court.

The whole saga was a massive cock up, from the crime scene being corrupted to coercing statements from witnesses, the phone tapping of Bandon Garda station, the farm gate with blood and DNA on it mysteriously vanishing from Garda custody, its a mess and you could never convict on all those shakey grounds. Its sad because the du Plantier family have been denied justice and now to this day we have a murderer walking around free whoever that person might be.

So why aren’t there proper appeals for information on this case if the case is still open and active (which it is, confirmed by one of today’s online newspapers) - and why haven’t Gardai clearly stated they don’t or no longer believe Bailey was involved? And why did they hand all case files over to the French authorities? Even after the mess Gardai made of the original investigation you’d think they would do right now?

Gardai do not comment publicly on persons of interest or suspects in unsolved cases. They occasionally make public appeals but you can't expect them to make appeals constantly for one particular crime.
    And when did they hand over all the files? That hardly makes sense, they're hardly likely to hand over all files on an unsolved case?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

old money well connected French family

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    old money well connected French family

For sure well connected but would like to know the details of it, why do they have so much sway 25 years after the event. The French govt. put a lot of resources into this latest attempt to extradite him even while they themselves must have known they hadnt a chance of succeeding with it and ultimately it would be a waste of taxpayers money as it has now proven to be. The French govt. under Macron seemed to be doing it as a favour to the family, it would be interesting to know what lies behind such powerful influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

For sure well connected but would like to know the details of it, why do they have so much sway 25 years after the event. The French govt. put a lot of resources into this latest attempt to extradite him even while they themselves must have known they hadnt a chance of succeeding with it and ultimately it would be a waste of taxpayers money as it has now proven to be. The French govt. under Macron seemed to be doing it as a favour to the family, it would be interesting to know what lies behind such powerful influence.

its not like its a big deal doing something like that for the french government , extradition applications get rejected all of the time , it usually doesnt weaken relations between said states

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Who is paying for this charade, its beyond outrageous, I can't get my head around what part of a supreme Court ruling don't the French understand. I've zero opinion on the appalling original case and what occurred but rightly or wrongly the man remains innocent of the crime alleged. I can't understand why Irish Authorities are tolerating this situation, don't European justice ministers communicate.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    its not like its a big deal doing something like that for the french government , extradition applications get rejected all of the time , it usually doesnt weaken relations between said states

Well its not a small matter, I just dont think the French govt would have gone to the lengths they did for an ordinary joe soap. They sent a team of detectives here to liase with the Gardai, they put their lawyers on it and then held a criminal trial in his absense but their own DPP must have known it was all a waste of time and taxpayers money yet it proceeded. The du Plantier family clearly have serious pull at the highest echelons of the French government. It is what it is but it would be just interesting to know what kind of background or history is there that is driving it.

As far as relations go we are very much in the French pockets, you only have to see Leo flying into Paris to meet Macron and then announcing Irish troops heading into the warzone that is Mali less than 48 hours later. Macron was getting heat domestically for the amount of dead French soldiers coming home from Mali so he got Varadkar to put our soldiers in the firing line to help shore up French power in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

I thought the French court convicted him, so they are looking for the extradition of a convicted person. our law differs from theirs however he was convicted under their system, I expect the French will now take this to the European courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Epping Forest

The "West Cork" podcast on this case is a very interesting listen. It's about 8 hours in total. Only available on audible, but you can get a 30 day trial to listen to it for free with your Amazon account. Just remember to cancel before the 30 days so you're not charged the £8

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Closing this up as posters are debating guilt or innocence

All we know is a French court has found him guilty

No Irish court has opined on the matter

I'm closing the thread and will be deleting a number of speculative posts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement