Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey being extradited to France

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

He's not being extradited.

The high court has “endorsed” his extradition to France.

Whatever you want to call it he’s being readied for transport to another jurisdiction where they used falsified evidence and lies to convict him.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Interesting if this went to the European Court of human rights- with both countries being in Europe, you would imagine they’d see the French trial as the farce that it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

No one is arguing about whether he did it or not. The issue is that the evidence against him wasn’t up to a level that warranted a trial here.

I'll argue with anyone that thinks he did it no problem.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

The high court has “endorsed” his extradition to France.

Whatever you want to call it he’s being readied for transport to another jurisdiction where they used falsified evidence and lies to convict him.

If he is ever on his way to France courtesy of the Irish court system then you can say he is being extradited, but that ain't gonna happen.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

After listening to the podcast West Cork, I am fairly sure he is innocent and simply suspected because he is a bit odd.

It is ridiculous than France can just take one of our citizens like this. I also doubt he will be given a fair trial over there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

There is a worrying number of people on boards who decide stuff based on podcasts.

I knew he was guilty because they played the evil music.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Skid X wrote: »
    I don't understand this at all.

How can France claim jurisdiction over a crime that occurred in Ireland which has gone through due process in the Irish Legal System?

Very dangerous precedent.

It comes under "extra-territorial jurisdiction" in accordance with the generally recognised principles of international law.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'd say the guillotine is being sharpened as we speak.

We should probably grab a French tourists as hostages .

aren't they a nuclear power, what if they nuke Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

One of the rare times Irishmen will argue in favour of an English man.
    I heard he was in in 1 Para battalion in 1972.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Reading between the lines it is a matter of the Irish justice system following legal protocol. A fellow EU member state wants to extradite a non Irish citizen ( British I think ) from another EU country. There is a process around this and he is involved with that process now.

The Irish justice system is not under any circumstances obliged to carry out the extradition. But I would imagine the High court will pass a judgement on this. Once this is done he should be free to go, anywhere except France that is:).

I don't know if he is guilty or not, but I always got the feeling that there was more to her murder than meets the eye. He reminds me of the " Red Herring " suspect you get in a whodunnit mystery.

We will never know what happened that poor women, but I would not trust the French legal system, at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

If he is ever on his way to France courtesy of the Irish court system then you can say he is being extradited, but that ain't gonna happen.

What do you think is going on here? He’ll just be arrested by the Irish Gardaí and then not sent to France to serve out their “kangaroo court” sentencing?
    John Doe1 wrote: »
    After listening to the podcast West Cork, I am fairly sure he is innocent and simply suspected because he is a bit odd.

He was very stupid to say he did it, whether being sarcastic or not.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

gimli2112 wrote: »
    aren't they a nuclear power, what if they nuke Cork?

And the problem with that is ?

John Doe1 wrote: »

It is ridiculous than France can just take one of our citizens like this. I also doubt he will be given a fair trial over there.

The trial is over, they found him guilty and sentenced him to 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

West Cork was all sorts of total dodge. There was shipments of cocaine going through there for decades and f**k all was being done about it.
    The first huge consignment actually caught back in 2007 was discovered only because the gang involved overloaded a smaller boat used to ferry the drugs ashore and accidentally filled a spare fuel tank with diesel instead of petrol. Storm came in and the boat capsized.
    Locals used to report vans carrying small boats going down boreens and the backroads to the coast in the depths of winter at all hours of the morning for decades and nothing was ever investigated. The Gaurds down there back in the day, I wouldn't trust a thing they were at. Same as Donegal back in the 90's. Total all sorts of wrong was going on there.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

What do you think is going on here? He’ll just be arrested by the Irish Gardaí and then not sent to France to serve out their “kangaroo court” sentencing?

He'll win his appeal of this decision on a point of law, if not in the High Court then in the Supreme Court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

That would a a different Ian Bailey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Waffler, he is a journalist. Different Ian Bailey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Bailey_(British_Army_soldier)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

In the eyes of AH , hes guilty of many things including kidnapping and eating Shergar..

Ian was always the dark horse of the family.

He was very stupid and comes across as fairly arrogant but stupidity shouldnt mean he is imprisoned for many years in a foreign country.

I feel sorry for the guy

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Waffler, he is a journalist. Different Ian Bailey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Bailey_(British_Army_soldier)

Strange as it may sound , I didn't actually know there was a para called Ian bailey.

• Advertisement

Ian was always the dark horse of the family.

Don't know any of his siblings but they would want to right bad eggs to be worse than him.

Having said that I'm sure he didn't murder that lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

BDI wrote: »
    Welcome to Ireland. We will take in isis members and kick out men found not guilty of murder to a country that seems intent on locking him up.

He could always go back to his own country.

I believe he has been here quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The worst thing about this horrible scenario is how it will be used by certain folk to beat the anti-European drum.

The French need to be told to **** off and cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

BDI wrote: »
    I believe he has been here quite some time.

So what, he's a Brit let them worry about him.

So what, he's a Brit let them worry about him.

No I’d rather not thanks.

Reading between the lines it is a matter of the Irish justice system following legal protocol. A fellow EU member state wants to extradite a non Irish citizen ( British I think ) from another EU country. There is a process around this and he is involved with that process now.

The Irish justice system is not under any circumstances obliged to carry out the extradition. But I would imagine the High court will pass a judgement on this. Once this is done he should be free to go, anywhere except France that is:).

I don't know if he is guilty or not, but I always got the feeling that there was more to her murder than meets the eye. He reminds me of the " Red Herring " suspect you get in a whodunnit mystery.

We will never know what happened that poor women, but I would not trust the French legal system, at all.

He’s actually trapped on this island. I believe there’s a European arrest warrant issued for years now so he can’t travel without risking arrest and extradition to France

Oh look at the tough man internet republican:p

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭finbar10

It's not as simple as that. I'd say there has been a fair bit of politics going on behind the scenes over the years to suck up to the French.

In the EU's EAW (European Arrest Warrant) Framework, there are several mandatory and optional provisions for refusing extradition. For example, one optional ground is that a country can point-blank refuse to extradite to another European country a citizen for a crime carried out in its own territory. Another optional ground is that if the charges have already been investigated in the country (by the DPP or whatever) and dismissed, then that country is completely within its rights to refuse extradition to another EU country on the same matter. Both of these provisions would cover Bailey.

However, these are optional grounds. They have to be written into the country's implementing legislation to be effective. Interestingly, we originally had these provisions (2003) but somehow ended up deleting these in subsequent years.

However, one of the major reasons the Supreme Court refused to extradite Bailey in 2012 were such extra-territoriality reasons (and how they didn't work reciprocally). A further point in favour of Bailey was that, at the time, Irish law only asserted extra-territorial jurisdiction for Irish citizens and for murder. It helped that Bailey was an Irish resident and not an Irish citizen. Interestingly, in the interim, our law has, funnily enough, been altered so that it also now applies to Irish residents. Alternations to our EAW legislation coincidentally always seem to work against Bailey. That's not going to help his case; though, it's possible there's still enough substance in the extra-territoriality argument to keep him here.

Though, if Bailey is extradited, it will show up a gaping lack of protections in our own EAW legislation. It will show that if an Irish resident is accused of murdering a citizen of another EU country in Ireland, is investigated and the DPP deems there is not enough evidence to prosecute, then will be absolutely nothing stopping the victim's EU country issuing a European Arrest Warrant to then deport the Irish citizen and have a second bite of the cherry in their own legal system.

If people think that's a good situation, then, sure, cheer for Bailey's extradition. Cynically, though, I'd expect our politicians would then quickly plug the gap once the "problem" has been exported to France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

So what, he's a Brit

I think personally he was stitched up. The fact that he's English probably won't do him any favours in a French court.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement