Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey being extradited to France

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

He could always go back to his own country.

Céad Míle Fáilte?.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I always thought our legal system was in place to protect citizens
    Not cater to the whims of foreign judiciary?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i'd rather see a guilty man walk free than the terrifying precedent set by this. A shambolic investigation in Ireland and a show trial worthy of Robespierre and The Terror in Paris. Both legal systems come out of this looking distinctly ropey.

And if you want to see anti british sentiment in Ireland and France here it is writ large. There is no way a native Irishman would have been put through what Bailey has been subjected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Céad Míle Fáilte?.:rolleyes:

Knock yourself out if you want worrying over a murder suspect, I keep my sympathy for the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Knock yourself out if you want worrying over a murder suspect, I keep my sympathy for the victim.

Did you worry over the Birmingham 6 or the Guildford 4?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Having said that I'm sure he didn't murder that lady.

Just wondering why you are so sure?

I don't know, I used to think he was, but the investigation was ****ed up.
    Listened to West Cork & he comes across as guilty...
    So, I'm undecided.
    Not enough evidence to charge him here, so we will never know.

But no way should he be extradited to France, a very very dangerous precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Did you worry over the Birmingham 6 or the Guildford 4?

I did , along with the Heinz 57.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

In the eyes of AH , hes guilty of many things including kidnapping and eating Shergar.

He didn't eat all of him, did he?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭corner of hells

He didn't eat all of him, did he?

Neigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭buried

I always thought our legal system was in place to protect citizens
    Not cater to the whims of foreign judiciary?

The legal system here is only in place to make as much money as they can for themselves. Nothing else.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭finbar10

bubblypop wrote: »
    Just wondering why you are so sure?

I don't know, I used to think he was, but the investigation was ****ed up.
    Listened to West Cork & he comes across as guilty...
    So, I'm undecided.
    Not enough evidence to charge him here, so we will never know.

But no way should he be extradited to France, a very very dangerous precedent.

It'll be a black mark against our Supreme Court (may well end up there) and judiciary in general if they can't find some justification to stop the extradition.

I'd be also tempted to track down under what governments and under what specific ministers previous protections in our European Arrest Warrant legislation were stripped out (no doubt with the French whispering in the background). Quite a few Justice Ministers bent over backwards to facilitate the French investigation over the years after the Irish investigation was slapped down by our own DPP. Sucking up to EU players seems to be generally more important to our politicians than rights of Irish citizens (or a mere resident in this case) or the supposed sovereignty of our own justice system.

Will he be any safer in the UK after Brexit? I respect that is a layman's legal question. But maybe so?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

blackcard wrote: »
    The DPP in Ireland didn't think that there was enough evidence to charge him so I would be dubious about his extradition

The DPP also isnt charging some lads for an acid attack. so....................

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Steviewinger

Mr Bailey is not well at the moment. Heavy on the sauce and the weed from what I gather . Could go pear shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not so sure about this extradition.

The French have had a hard on for this guy for years and years in a "must be guilty" kind of way but he was never found guilty of a crime here.

Dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Not sure how I feel about this to be honest - I certainly believe Ian Baily is guilty as sin but this sets a dangerous precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The DPP also isnt charging some lads for an acid attack. so....................

That is a new DPP, there were actually two different previous DPP's who decided Bailey should not be charged.

In unprecedented actions they went as far as to give evidence in court to explain why he should not be charged.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Allinall

BDI wrote: »
    Welcome to Ireland. We will take in isis members and kick out men found not guilty of murder to a country that seems intent on locking him up.

When was he found not guilty of murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭leath_dub

John Doe1 wrote: »
    After listening to the podcast West Cork, I am fairly sure he is innocent and simply suspected because he is a bit odd.

It is ridiculous than France can just take one of our citizens like this. I also doubt he will be given a fair trial over there.

Why do people continually refer to him as "one.of our citizens"? He's a British subject. He's a very dodgy character, an acknowledged abuser of women. Furthermore, his behaviour at the time of the investigation was very reminiscent of Ian Huntley at the time of the Soham murders

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

finbar10 wrote: »
    I'd say there has been a fair bit of politics going on behind the scenes over the years to suck up to the French.

On the same day as this announcement but I'm sure there's no connection.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1002/1080715-interconnector-electricity/
    Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said: "This is a really significant investment for Ireland and will help us to conduct a magnificent feat of engineering. The Celtic Interconnector will help to lower electricity prices, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide greater energy security.

"It's a direct result of our close working relationship with the European Commission including President Juncker, and France and President Macron, who will be our closest EU neighbours following Brexit. It's a signal of European solidarity at this crucial time."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Steviewinger

leath_dub wrote: »
    Why do people continually refer to him as "one.of our citizens"? He's a British subject. He's a very dodgy character, an acknowledged abuser of women. Furthermore, his behaviour at the time of the investigation was very reminiscent of Ian Huntley at the time of the Soham murders

Totally agree. I've lived in his company for many years and my opinion has not changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Well firstly the thread title is misleading. Ian Bailey is NOT being extradicted to France.

All that is happening is the French have issued another arrest warrant for him (Their 3rd) and the Judge has to endorse it this time because there were changes in Irish law regarding Extraterritorial Jurisdiction .....Criminal Law (Extraterritorial Jurisdiction) Act 2019.

So the Arrest warrant will be tested in court. (Previous two arrest warrants were dismissed out of hand and didn't even make it to the courts here).

If Ian Bailey eventually gets extradicted to France ... it will be a very very dark day for the Irish Legal system and an Garda Siochana. I don't think anybody knew much about this Bill in the Dail ...but it clearly has significant implications for the countries sovereignty.

Oh yeah? Which came first , Soham or West Cork?

Listen to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Because he's been here for 40 odd years. There comes a point where you're as Irish as the Irish.

He comes across dodgy as f*ck and a weirdo, but there's no evidence IMO that proves he's a murderer. There's a strange, morbid fascination about the murder. Unless someone has some proof, people should just leave him alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Because he's been here for 40 odd years. There comes a point where you're as Irish as the Irish.

He comes across dodgy as f*ck and a weirdo, but there's no evidence IMO that proves he's a murderer. There's a strange, morbid fascination about the murder. Unless someone has some proof, people should just leave him alone.

He doesn't want to be left alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but can he be extradited?? he's a british passport holder i presume?

a loophole for him perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

As far as I'm concerned this thread is not debating Ian Bailey's guilt or innocene because nobody on this thread knows that for sure and nobody on this thread has seen all the evidence etc.

The discussion here is that a man aquitted of an alleged crime committed here in Ireland can be re-tried in absentia (and in what is generally regarded as a farcial show trial) in a foreign country ...and we might have to extradict him to that country to face imprisonment :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

OK has he been found guilty of any wrong doing here? Not as far as I know.

Have the Guards given full account also. Keep that in mind also.

France has a different judicial system which is not the same as our own. ok, but I do think that the family of the deceased person have some clout (and funds) all the same. Could be wrong, but I doubt a poor farmer in deepest Limousin would have this either.

Anyway, is a European Arrest Warrant in place or whatever is needed to try a non resident. I dunno.

Money talks and bullsh t walks. Very strange case not least from the Guards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,175 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The last line sums it up:
    Even after more than 22 years of oppressive investigation, litigation and an apparent miscarriage of justice, there appears no end in sight to this bizarre and unprecedented case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement