Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey being extradited to France

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

In a general sense this doesn’t seem right. He wasn’t convicted here where the murder happened and the case in France was only going to result one way.

From a personal perspective everything I’ve read down the years pointed to him being guilty, I believe he murdered this woman and personally wouldn’t shed a tear if he is sent off and jailed in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

_Brian wrote: »
    In a general sense this doesn’t seem right. He wasn’t convicted here where the murder happened and the case in France was only going to result one way.

From a personal perspective everything I’ve read down the years pointed to him being guilty, I believe he murdered this woman and personally wouldn’t shed a tear if he is sent off and jailed in France.

The DPP concluded no conviction was warranted as no evidence supported such.

Wonder how many people realise the Gardaí initially tried to do Jules Thomas for the murder before moving to Bailey?

Sardonicat wrote: »
    There was no marital affair. I don't think anyone still believes this. The woman is unstable and got herself caught up in the guards' agenda and couldn't find a way out.

Oh there was an affair. She thought she could make an anonymous call & that would be the end, unfortunately for her, that's not the way it works.
    Claiming the man dead, was her way of trying to stop everything, again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I heard his solicitor on the radio saying that every Irish citizen is responsible for what happened to him and it’s a disgrace, what a silly statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

_Brian wrote: »
    From a personal perspective everything I’ve read down the years pointed to him being guilty,

I think that is one of the major problems.

They've been at this for decades and everyone's mind is warped by time. If you've been told that for 2 decades Ian Bailey is a suspected murderer and they're only one piece of evidence away from putting him away, then you'll believe that he did it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

What was Ian Baileys alleged motive to kill Sophie ?

If he didn't, who did and again their motive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭elefant

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    I heard his solicitor on the radio saying that every Irish citizen is responsible for what happened to him and it’s a disgrace, what a silly statement.

I think there are 3 possible scenarios: He either did it, he has truly horrendous luck with the amount of coincidences that built up around him, or he intentionally brought attention onto himself for the thrill of it.

Whichever of these is the case, I don't think he should be extradited to France, and I would be disappointed if he is. And whichever of these is the case, they certainly aren't the faults of regular Irish citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Buttimer? Lol, what utter gobshytery from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Gardai. Just saying. Dont think they are without fault either. But who knows.

Given why they tried to do/ planned to do to garda mccabe you literally can't trust anything they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

Are those Podcasts that went through the whole thing still available?

I was searching there but couldn't find them

• Advertisement

big_drive wrote: »
    Are those Podcasts that went through the whole thing still available?

I was searching there but couldn't find them

the west Cork podcast is only on Audible

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Extradited so a wealthy French family can have their show trial? Because that's all it will be.
    Fcuk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Dia_Anseo wrote: »
    What was Ian Baileys alleged motive to kill Sophie ?

If he didn't, who did and again their motive?

No motive. Apparently he knew of her, but had never personally met her. He didn't even know she was visiting from France.

There's no evidence that he got up in the middle of the night, traipsed across the country to see a woman he didn't know, murdered her, cleaned up all the evidence, then went home, hopped back into bed with his partner none the wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what radio show was this?

fryup wrote: »
    what radio show was this?

Corks red fm with prendeville.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    No motive. Apparently he knew of her, but had never personally met her. He didn't even know she was visiting from France.

There's no evidence that he got up in the middle of the night, traipsed across the country to see a woman he didn't know, murdered her, cleaned up all the evidence, then went home, hopped back into bed with his partner none the wiser.

This is disputed, a man said he had introduced them.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Buttimer? Lol, what utter gobshytery from him.
    The tax payer will end up paying for it, thats what his solicitor meant

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    The tax payer will end up paying for it, thats what his solicitor meant

It didn’t sound like it, you can listen to the podcast and make up your own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

It didn’t sound like it, you can listen to the podcast and make up your own mind.

He was on today fm yesterday evening stating that

He wasn't at home that night.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

How long did it take the French Court to convict him?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

bubblypop wrote: »
    He wasn't at home that night.

Correct, he stayed at a friend's house and has an alibi from four people to confirm that, the one person who says she saw a man matching his description near the scene later confirmed part of her evidence was a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

My uncle had a pub in West Cork. About 30 odd years ago i was there one night after closing time helping to clean up. There was a knock on the door and it was the local guard. There was an unfamiliar car out front, he was checking there was no after hours drinking going on. My uncle invited him in, introduced him to me, "my nephew giving me a hand cleaning up". Me in the middle of mopping the floor. "Oh grand" says the guard, my uncle shows him out and they both look across the road to the rival pub where the party is in full swing, smokers outside smoking, loud music, everyone with a glass in their hand. The guard glanced in that direction, and got in his car and drove off.

My uncle told me a case of whiskey got sent into the Garda barracks each month by the rival pub owner and they turned a blind eye to his late night sessions.

The guards decided they had their man, and would make the evidence stick. It didnt stick and so the evidence disappeared.
    Why would people be outside smoking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

blackcard wrote: »
    The DPP in Ireland didn't think that there was enough evidence to charge him so I would be dubious about his extradition

Yes so? The French are a civilised race, they have a justice system, we are both members of the EU. We should trust them to assess the evidence too and if he's innocent then he's little to fear. Would clear his name, though it might end his notoriety.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,319 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Lots of people have killed people they have never met before without a motive. maybe he is such a person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Dia_Anseo wrote: »
    When I heard that the Irish High courts are enforcing this Extradition warrant spear headed by the French authorities, it brought all the memories back of Thierry Henry handball in the 2010 world cup, another example how the French think (and succeed) in getting poor Paddy so what they please!

I hardly think you can label Ian Bailey as a 'poor Paddy'!! Like many in West Cork he hails from our neighbours across the water. We should be letting the Brits and the French sort this out between themselves.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I hardly think you can label Ian Bailey as a 'poor Paddy'!! Like many in West Cork he hails from our neighbours across the water. We should be letting the Brits and the French sort this out between themselves.

That poster was referring to our Judicial system bending to the wishes of the French when he said poor Paddy.

Yes so? The French are a civilised race, they have a justice system, we are both members of the EU. We should trust them to assess the evidence too and if he's innocent then he's little to fear. Would clear his name, though it might end his notoriety.

Dude, go and read the facts. You are making yourself look stupid.

He has already been convicted in a French kangaroo court that took one day.

If extradited it will be go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They convicted him in abstentia, he has 25 years in prison to fear.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Great to see such an attitude alive and well in the 3rd millennium. :rolleyes:

How is that working out for you? I would pity your neighbours if I am honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement