Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick with worry

• 16-12-2019 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

My cat is only 8 months old and on Saturday didn't seem like himself. Didn't think much of it, thought he might have just been a bit tired because when he is active he is *very* active. He basically spent the whole afternoon and evening cuddled up to me.

Put him to bed Saturday night and when I went to see him on Sunday morning he hadn't eaten much. Thought he might have been a bit under the weather but thought a bit more rest and he will be fine. Couldn't get him to eat much, and he spent most of the day again cuddled up to me. I managed to get him excited when I gave him some sliced ham, literally the only thing I could get him to eat and he had 1.5 slices of it, purring away so I used that to justify me not worrying so much.

I had thought about ringing up the emergency number at the vet but thought I was probably making a big deal out of nothing. Said I'd bring him down to the vet today just in case.

Brought him down and it turns out he has a temperature of 41.3. Admitted to hospital straight away and waiting on a call to get an update. Absolutely terrified now and ashamed that I didn't just ring the emergency line yesterday. He is my first real pet and I would miss him so much. I hope he is ok.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Sorry to hear that Matthew, and it's always such a worry when they're ill.

Don't beat yourself up over it though, IME cats can get very ill, but also recover completely, and often quite fast as well. I don't know that bringing him to the emergency vet would change much even it's something serious - they're doing what they can now, and a weekend's delay is unlikely to have made much difference.

Hope he's ok. Let us know how it goes won't you?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Your first real pet, so you dont have a lot of experience OP - if your cant was purring and eating ham, you couldnt have known...he wasnt showing much in the way of symptoms, other thank wanting to snuggle with you - you have brought him to the vet now, so hopefully he will make a full recovery - hope the vets have phoned you with an update to put your mind at rest - if not, do phone them rather than sit worrying and waiting. Keep us posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

Dont beat yourself up over it. I’ve had cats for 20years now and I honestly would have done exactly the same as you. I would have observed the cat all day Sunday, trying to get him to eat, just like you did.
    You sound like a very observant owner, recognising there was something wrong early on. Cats are very clever at hiding when they are sick. Hopefully your little kitten will bounce back soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

He stayed overnight in hospital last night, the vet has said that they gave him a light sedative to give him fluids and take bloods. He allowed the fluids part but wouldn't allow them take bloods.

Temperature still very high and not yet responding to antibiotics so they have to give him a stronger sedative to take bloods.

He was quite lively this morning despite his condition so hopefully they find what is wrong with him and he wakes up safely, though the vet did say there can be risks with the heavier sedation.

They ran every sort of a test on him, bloods etc and x rays too, everything coming back fine. They noticed a gastro infection but that is unlikely to be the cause of a temperature this bad.

His temperature was at 41.5 on Monday which is potentially fatal, it came down a bit yesterday afternoon to under 40 but this morning it's back up to over 40. They don't seem to know the underlying reason which is quite worrying. He has been in the hospital the whole time and will be in tonight also while they monitor him.

The most worrying thing is that as of yet they haven't been able to pinpoint an exact cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

have they checked his kidneys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Its so worrying. My cat had an infection in her vertabrae and it was presumed to be from a bite from another animal, which resulted in similar lethargy, unusual behaviour and high temp. It was diagnosed via xray only, and the reason for the xray was because the vet was concerned about her reaction to anyone going near her back. She was on a a 6 week stint of painkillers and antibiotics and is back to herself thankfully. I wonder if it could be something similar?

Also, dont beat yourself up - it was only when I brought the cat to the vet I was told that dogs show their sickness quicker than cats, and that by the time you realise a cat is sick they are likely quite sick....I have had pets all my life and its the first time I had heard that.

I hope you get answers soon and kitty gets better.

Leilak wrote: »
    have they checked his kidneys?

As far as I can remember the vet said they did check the kidneys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

poor little guy may have pancreatitis quite painful with fever

Latest update:

Vet called and said he was in great form, full of love today. He said that he is now sure it's a viral infection, can't remember what though.

He said that in general his temperature is good, but in the mornings it's still going over 40, though not as bad as the 41.5 it was on Monday. Because of that he gave me the option of leaving him another day or taking him.

He asked if I wanted to take him home today, knowing he might still be lethargic and still sick etc, I said to keep him there for another night on the fluid therapy just incase. Better be safe than sorry and there's no downside to another night there where he can be monitored.

He should be home tomorrow at which point I'll be declaring bankruptcy as I don't have insurance :pac: :D Would have paid any price to get him home safe so I don't mind too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

Glad to hear he’s on the mend. Thats pet ownership for you.....breaks your heart AND your bank balance, but wouldn't change it for the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Any update on your cat OP?
    Fingers crossed he's home and getting back to normal - such a horrible worry - you two have a very happy Christmas
    (and might be worth looking into getting insurance :o:(:confused:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

When he gets home from the hospital you can both watch ‘Don’t f#*k with Cats’ on Netflix.

He came home yesterday and was in much better spirits than he was when we left him with the vet on Monday.

Currently sleeping next to me on the couch as I watch the football.

He has to go back on Monday for a check up but it seems, and I'm hoping, that the worst has passed.

Thanks all for the support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭jimf

brilliant news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Our vet advised us against pet insurance. He said in his experience they drag you through so many hoops to avoid paying out it’s just not worth it

Advertisement