Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrested after Work Christmas Party?

Options
  • 16-12-2019 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Was at my Christmas Party at the weekend, All went OK and 3 of us left after midnight to go somewhere else. A few hours later things got a bit messy and 2 of us had a bit of a "dispute" and it didn't end up well and I ended up getting arrested. Really regret what happened but am dealing with it now.

I am due back in work on Wednesday have been told I have to see my Manager when I am back in. I am just wondering what powers my job have about this especially if the Gardai are dealing with this? This happened outside work time so should they be getting involved at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Your expected to behave the same as you were in work when your at a Work Christmas Party.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/can-you-sacked-what-happens-17417990

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

All went OK....lol

They might just want a word

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Work wise I would imagine you are ok as the incident didn’t happen at the work party and also the fact you had left the party.
    If it had of happened at the party that’s a different matter. Could be repercussions because it involved another member of staff not sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,771 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

How would your employer know you were arrested?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,157 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

How would your employer know you were arrested?

Because its 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Because its 2019.

+ it was probably posted all over Facebook or whatever social media forms these young 'uns are at these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,771 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Because its 2019.

Less reason in 2019 with GDPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I’ve worked in company where lads (grown men and professionals) have had fisty fights in the office and got away with warnings. Couldn’t make it up.

I’d be thinking about a few sincere apologies, written if needs be. Wouldn’t be worrying who’s at fault, bury the pride on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Except these days , the kids will change Facebook status, or update it with details of what happened.... Without thinking about the fact they are Facebook friends with co-workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Who won the fight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

harr wrote: »
    Work wise I would imagine you are ok as the incident didn’t happen at the work party and also the fact you had left the party.
    If it had of happened at the party that’s a different matter. Could be repercussions because it involved another member of staff not sure of that.

Yeah it didn't happen at the party itself but it was with another person from work after the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

harr wrote: »

Nope.

It happened with a work colleague. Work are involved and were brought into disrepute when the guards asked how you know each other.

If I was your boss, you'd be fired. Others may be more lenient.

As it wasn't at the Christmas party it shouldn't be any of their business. Now, if the person you had an altercation with happens to be the CEO, you might have a problem.

AmberGold wrote: »
    I’ve worked in company where lads (grown men and professionals) have had fisty fights in the office and got away with warnings. Couldn’t make it up.

I’d be thinking about a few sincere apologies, written if needs be. Wouldn’t be worrying who’s at fault, bury the pride on this occasion.

I do want to sort it out with work but know it will be awkward but not sure if it could go against me if it goes to court or something. Just annoyed at myself and dreading going back in knowing people have been talking about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,751 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

As it wasn't at the Christmas party it shouldn't be any of their business. Now, if the person you had an altercation with happens to be the CEO, you might have a problem.

You could argue that it was directly work party related and would not have happened without the Christmas party being held. Getting into technicalities about whether the incident happened on the premises of the party or elsewhere may not be enough to get him off the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I would imagine if things got messy then they might want to see you about how drunk you were / how you were acting rather than the Gardaí having informed them of anything.

And yeah I suppose everyone knows you need to try take it easy on work nights to avoid things like this happening.. You're expected to act accordingly.

Hope it all works out anyway

Maybe they just wanna see your side of the story

No I don't think the Gardai were in touch with work about what happened - just the 2 others from work who were there. When I was getting released and got my phone back I had plenty of messages about it - gave people plenty to gossip about.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Without wanting to sound like a snowflake modern 2020 view, if this is a company with a modern HR policy, they might be in for some hassle if they failed in their duty of care to you as an employee. It's obviously your own fault, but in this modern world, if the company filled you full of drink, then they have some responsibility for the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Conor84 wrote: »
    No I don't think the Gardai were in touch with work about what happened - just the 2 others from work who were there. When I was getting released and got my phone back I had plenty of messages about it - gave people plenty to gossip about.

Was there free drink at the work party? If so you might have an argument but every colleague will hate you cos it'll never happen again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Read your contract possible that you and the other individual brought the company name into dissreput

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Would the other party to the fight.... Maybe have spoken to management and state they would not be willing to work alongside?

I'd be thinking of getting out to be honest unless you can both come to terms and forgive.

Tough one and I'm sure embarrassing.

Do you have a union?

If yes bring a rep with you.

If it's a formal setting and it's basically an interview I'd honestly be thinking of the no comment rule....

I've had to use it myself but I was actually carrying out my duties but they tried to pin it on me different to how things happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 thecowgoesmoo

Nope.

It happened with a work colleague. Work are involved and were brought into disrepute when the guards asked how you know each other.

If I was your boss, you'd be fired. Others may be more lenient.

If your in a good company who respects their employees then you should be fine OP, I changed jobs to specifically get away from people like Mrs O Bumble (No offence). I worked in places like this and now work in a great multinational company in IT where they respect their employees with a great life work balance where you can have a honest conversation with your boss about anything and they always see the best in you, not the worst.

Toxic work environment is rotten thing to go into everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If it happens in a public place, nothing to stop onlookers recording and sharing it. Happens all the time, a member of the public is not a data controller.

If they sack you take them to the cleaners. It didn’t happen at their event.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If they sack you take them to the cleaners. It didn’t happen at their event.

It did happen with a work colleague though, after a work event. So it might not be as clear cut as you think, particularly if the colleague makes a complaint.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

If you instigated the fight and the other person came off worse they will sack you. Give up the sauce lad if it's making you rowdy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Do you thinking every Tom, Dick and Harry that posts a video even knows what the GDPR is???? Once it is out there, there is no way of reeling it back in no matter what the law says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Two best pieces of advice in this thread are, find if you have a union available to you and cut back on the sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Employers have to tread very,very carefully when they are dismissing someone. Use that to your advantage. There are processes to go through. If you are called in to a meeting it should be stated to you if it is disciplinary or not and if it is them you should have someone there with you.
    In my opinion you'll be okay as they are unlikely to allow you back in the office if they thought it was very serious. They'd have most likely sent you a letter.
    Be confident and take no shyte.
    Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

If your in a good company who respects their employees then you should be fine OP, I changed jobs to specifically get away from people like Mrs O Bumble (No offence). I worked in places like this and now work in a great multinational company in IT where they respect their employees with a great life work balance where you can have a honest conversation with your boss about anything and they always see the best in you, not the worst.

Toxic work environment is rotten thing to go into everyday.

I would say a more toxic work environment would be one where I had to remain working with someone who started s fight with me so severe the police got involved... But we don't have the details so hard to assess.

Advertisement