Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrested after Work Christmas Party?

Options

Comments

I would say a more toxic work environment would be one where I had to remain working with someone who started s fight with me so severe the police got involved... But we don't have the details so hard to assess.

Sorry, where does it say who started it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Sorry, where does it say who started it?

It doesn't and the OP doesn't state whether he was charged or not either; or if anyone else was charged.
    Were you charged with anything OP? Given an adult caution maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Ok, good luck with the meeting today. If you feel that the meeting is turning into a disciplinary then you have the right to say that you are unhappy to proceed and request that it be reconvened when you have a representative (union or otherwise) with you. Everyone f*cks up at some stage in their life so learn from it but don’t beat yourself up about it and remember “this too shall pass”.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If your in a good company who respects their employees then you should be fine OP, I changed jobs to specifically get away from people like Mrs O Bumble (No offence). I worked in places like this and now work in a great multinational company in IT where they respect their employees with a great life work balance where you can have a honest conversation with your boss about anything and they always see the best in you, not the worst.

Toxic work environment is rotten thing to go into everyday.

Ay ya. Toxic work environment means you get absolutely blattered and start fights with colleague's so much so to get the Gaurds involved and shipped off to the cells for the night.

Do people believe this crap.

Op evidently you can't handle your beer. So you should either stop going out in similar circumstances or lay of the alcohol.

Expect to lose your job I'm sure there's some gross misconduct in the contract somewhere.

I love how everyone is offloading the ops personal responsibility on this one. If this was about a walker falling in the mountains and suing the state then the boards massive would be up in arms.

Own your actions fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

listermint wrote: »
    Ay ya. Toxic work environment means you get absolutely blattered and start fights with colleague's so much so to get the Gaurds involved and shipped off to the cells for the night.

Do people believe this crap.

Op evidently you can't handle your beer. So you should either stop going out in similar circumstances or lay of the alcohol.

Expect to lose your job I'm sure there's some gross misconduct in the contract somewhere.

I love how everyone is offloading the ops personal responsibility on this one. If this was about a walker falling in the mountains and suing the state then the boards massive would be up in arms.

Own your actions fella.

It will be hard for the company to sack OP unless they can prove it was work-related. They had left the Christmas party at this stage, the fact that the other party is a colleague probably doesn't come into it, for example, I am close friends with some of my colleagues and often meet them outside of work.

That said, a quick look at OPs other posts show it isn't the first time he has been arrested while drunk. I am not sure whether he was working with the same company at the time, but the company would probably have a case if one of its employees is consistently getting arrested while drunk, it could harm the reputation and integrity of the organisation.

Whether you lose your job or not, you clearly have a problem with alcohol, and how to behave while drinking it.

• Advertisement

It will be hard for the company to sack OP unless they can prove it was work-related. They had left the Christmas party at this stage, the fact that the other party is a colleague probably doesn't come into it, for example, I am close friends with some of my colleagues and often meet them outside of work.

That said, a quick look at OPs other posts show it isn't the first time he has been arrested while drunk. I am not sure whether he was working with the same company at the time, but the company would probably have a case if one of its employees is consistently getting arrested while drunk, it could harm the reputation and integrity of the organisation.

Whether you lose your job or not, you clearly have a problem with alcohol, and how to behave while drinking it.

Form coming out of his ears.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

But the OP and their 3 buddies left the Christmas Party at midnight to go elsewhere. If they left the Company Christmas Party, surely it doesnt affect the company?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Rainbow Kitty

Have you spoken to your colleague since OP?
    Maybe break the ice with him before you go to your meeting, might stand to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

But the OP and their 3 buddies left the Christmas Party at midnight to go elsewhere. If they left the Company Christmas Party, surely it doesnt affect the company?

How would it not affect the company, if they have to work in the same environment, other colleagues worrying about interacting with the op, etc .? But reality depends on the severity,? Are we talking handbags or real physical damage caused to one another

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

My company would view a fight with a colleague on the night of the Christmas party as no different to a fight on company property during work hours. Gross misconduct and dismissal. Be prepared for the worst I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

AmberGold wrote: »
    I’d be thinking about a few sincere apologies, written if needs be. Wouldn’t be worrying who’s at fault, bury the pride on this occasion.

Terrible advice.

Never admit liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

If I was your boss, you'd be fired. Others may be more lenient.

How are things down at the Workplace Relations Comission?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

How would it not affect the company, if they have to work in the same environment, other colleagues worrying about interacting with the op, etc .? But reality depends on the severity,? Are we talking handbags or real physical damage caused to one another

If its a conversation to smooth over the tension that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

What were you arrested for? Assault? A public order offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

riemann wrote: »
    Terrible advice.

Never admit liability.

Apologising for something occurring is not admitting liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,917 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That was at Xmas party, op said he had left Xmas party a couple of hours earlier...I would have thought that makes a difference?

gmisk wrote: »
    That was at Xmas party, op said he had left Xmas party a couple of hours earlier...I would have thought that makes a difference?

Semantics. They could have had a fight in the street outside the venue and you'd argue it had no attachment to the work gig.

This fella needs to knock the drink on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Guards don't get involved with handbags.

OP, your previous posts on this board all seem to be related to getting arrested, prisoners, community service etc.

Forget about the job, you can always find another one.

What really needs attention is yourself! Why are you getting arrested and aggressive when you drink? Maybe see a counsellor or get some help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

Depends on your HR policy I’d expect no less than a written warning as mrs o bumble said some companies have a disrepute clause and can well fire you on that basis
    A work party is still work and your employers have a duty of care to their employees who have a duty to behave professionally in return.
    I once managed in a huge company and we had a work party in a very prominent venue in Dublin and the managers were told no drinking, watch out for your staff if they get sloppy send them home in a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Was there an end time to the party on the invite? I have seen something like this in the past, a company event that everyone was invited too and it said on the invite that the event ran from something like 6pm to 11pm. 2 members of staff got into a fight at like 1am in a different location to the party. One of the people complained to HR the following week but after getting legal advise the company took the very clear line that as it was after the end of the event and somewhere else it was a civil matter and nothing to do with them. Sound like the OP is in the same situation but it's down to the company. Regardless they need to be very careful how they handle this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

gmisk wrote: »
    Only marginally. The fact that it occurred with a colleague is one big factor, but not the only one.

If he'd gotten into a fight with some randomer and got arrested, it could also be an issue if it became a matter of gossip around the company.

Bringing the company name into disrepute is fairly broad and doesn't require that someone's face has been in the papers or that they've been explicitly attached to the company.

It would be sufficient that the incident was a matter of general knowledge within or without the company, and the circumstances were something disreputable (as opposed to something funny like falling asleep in a bin).

That is, if it was known around the company that a colleague had gotten bladdered and beat someone up, and your company did nothing about it, would you be happy? Would you be happy to have to interact with him every day? Would you be happy that the company are apparently unconcerned with the safety of their staff or with having general standards for personal conduct?
    Employee morale is an essential component of keeping a company on track. It has to be defended.

And lastly you have, as mentioned above, the issue with having to work with the affected colleague. Again the company have to consider safety and morale. These guys can't kick off again in work. Or spend their days being tense or snappy at eachother.

The company does have to be careful. Dismissing someone just for being arrested can land them in hot water. Even people charged with murder are often suspended with pay pending the outcome of the trial. There's a good chance they'll issue a final written warning, then arrange some level of conflict resolution meeting between the two colleagues, and move one of them (probably OP) into another team or department.
    But if there's nowhere to put him, he could be given his marching orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I actually has sympathy for you OP until I had a look at your previous posts. I mean the first thread you started is 8 years ago and it's about you getting arrested after a night out and learning your lesson so it won't happen again.

Since then it's seemed to happen a few times. You need to give up the drink and drugs.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Ok, good luck with the meeting today. If you feel that the meeting is turning into a disciplinary then you have the right to say that you are unhappy to proceed and request that it be reconvened when you have a representative (union or otherwise) with you.

Would be better off leaving the company to breach their WRC requirements.

My company would view a fight with a colleague on the night of the Christmas party as no different to a fight on company property during work hours. Gross misconduct and dismissal. Be prepared for the worst I'd say.

So you could deck them the following night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭fitzparker

OP, lay off the drink Bud, how many times have you been arrested for the same thing? the penny has to drop but it doesn't seem like your learning from past mistakes.

Best of luck with the meeting but TBH, can't offer much sympathy if you do get fired.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I actually has sympathy for you OP until I had a look at your previous posts. I mean the first thread you started is 8 years ago and it's about you getting arrested after a night out and learning your lesson so it won't happen again.

Since then it's seemed to happen a few times. You need to give up the drink and drugs.

This.
    It’s clear this is far from a one off incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sura28

I’d say you will be asked to go on sick leave to treat your alcohol addiction. Will be off for few months and they will send you to the company doctor. Duty of care from the employer. It didn’t happen on the Christmas party so they can’t get involved.
    Don’t think they will risk with a disciplinary since it’s very difficult to sack an employee and they need to prove they followed procedures and supported the employee.

Advertisement