Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrested after Work Christmas Party?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

road_high wrote: »
    How is somebody representing a company if they’re in a pub or club in their private time. Yes what the OP did was no doubt wrong (we are still very much in realms of speculation and need a lot more detail to comment further) but unless he goes around in company branded uniform with a company name tag planted across his forehead I fail to see how he’s representing them. Are we all turned into corporate robots these days that there’s now no distinction between work and private lives (be they good, bad or indifferent)?

Where did I say the OP was representing the company. was referring to the situation in my Company.

But if you are at a work party, yes you are representing the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

mrmorgan wrote: »
    Where did I say the OP was representing the company. was referring to the situation in my Company.

But if you are at a work party, yes you are representing the company.

They had been at a work party, but it was over. The incident happened after that in an unconnected venue far as we can make out

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

They had been at a work party, but it was over. The incident happened after that in an unconnected venue far as we can make out

Yep, I read the original post!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How is somebody representing a company if they’re in a pub or club in their private time. Yes what the OP did was no doubt wrong (we are still very much in realms of speculation and need a lot more detail to comment further) but unless he goes around in company branded uniform with a company name tag planted across his forehead I fail to see how he’s representing them. Are we all turned into corporate robots these days that there’s now no distinction between work and private lives (be they good, bad or indifferent)?

Many code of conduct documents cover work arranged get together a and associated events.
    The fact that it was overflow from the Christmas party and with other employees may fit. Add to that if OP is as much an idiot in the job management may have an interest in making a thing of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

_Brian wrote: »
    Many code of conduct documents cover work arranged get together a and associated events.
    The fact that it was overflow from the Christmas party and with other employees may fit. Add to that if OP is as much an idiot in the job management may have an interest in making a thing of this.

The ultimate question is when does the work event and codes of conduct end? Far as i can gather this was private time and an unrelated venue/drinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The ultimate question is when does the work event and codes of conduct end? Far as i can gather this was private time and an unrelated venue/drinks.

But some may consider this related because it was a continuation of the work party with work colleagues.
    I’m
    Not pushing either way, it will come down to specific company policy and OPs relationship with employer.

Someone above mentioned having a hard look at their overall behaviour, it’s probably the best advice in the whole thread to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Thanks for the replies/advice. Not going to go into all the details but some things that people have asked.

I've been with the company a couple of years and have had no problems until now - have been out on a few nights out too. I am not in a union or anything. We got a couple of free drinks at the start of the night and food but mainly paid for our own.

Yes I've been in trouble for this before and been to court but can't change that but that's only one part of my life. Not proud of it and that's why it;s worse been in this same situation again. And I know I've got to deal with that.

The Guards arrested me for public order and got charged with that and have a court date in January. I had to go back and give a statement about the assault. The other person did the same.

Like I said before I am back to work tomorrow so will have to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭skinny90

Conor84 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies/advice. Not going to go into all the details but some things that people have asked.

I've been with the company a couple of years and have had no problems until now - have been out on a few nights out too. I am not in a union or anything. We got a couple of free drinks at the start of the night and food but mainly paid for our own.

Yes I've been in trouble for this before and been to court but can't change that but that's only one part of my life. Not proud of it and that's why it;s worse been in this same situation again. And I know I've got to deal with that.

The Guards arrested me for public order and got charged with that and have a court date in January. I had to go back and give a statement about the assault. The other person did the same.

Who assaulted who? Is the other person pressing charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Yeah he is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Good luck tomorrow lad. Don't beat yourself up about it, there's not many people who haven't done things they regret after a night out. It will pass and be forgotten about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

You should be sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 51,986 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Learn from it and move on. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Haven't read past the first page but has anyone else looked at the OP's post history? He's started something like five different threads over the years stating that he'd been arrested and is now looking for advice - I can't tell if this is a wind up or if he really is an utter idiot that can't go for prolonged periods without being arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

@OP, you were probably charged with a s.6 Public Order Offence, Threatening, Abusive, Insulting behaviour causing harassment alarm and distress.

Get a solicitor asap, ask your solicitor if he can offer mediation to the other party?

You quite clearly have a drink problem and I would also register with AA, this will stand in your favour when your in front of the Judge in January.

Do the Guards want to take a cautioned statement from you in relation to the assault, that could be a seperate offence you can be charged with, get your Solicitor to go with you to the Garda Station.

Do not go to the Garda station on your own to give any kind of statement without legal advice present. You may incriminate yourself by accident if you know what I mean.

kravmaga wrote: »
    @OP, you were probably charged with a s.6 Public Order Offence, Threatening, Abusive, Insulting behaviour causing harassment alarm and distress.

Get a solicitor asap, ask your solicitor if he can offer mediation to the other party?

You quite clearly have a drink problem and I would also register with AA, this will stand in your favour when your in front of the Judge in January.

Do the Guards want to take a cautioned statement from you in relation to the assault, that could be a seperate offence you can be charged with, get your Solicitor to go with you to the Garda Station.

Do not go to the Garda station on your own to give any kind of statement without legal advice present. You may incriminate yourself by accident if you know what I mean.

Yes given this is not your first offence this is what should be your priority. As for the assault itself. Do you have any grounds for what happened? Who started it? Is there any witnesses from the office who saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Haven't read past the first page but has anyone else looked at the OP's post history? He's started something like five different threads over the years stating that he'd been arrested and is now looking for advice - I can't tell if this is a wind up or if he really is an utter idiot that can't go for prolonged periods without being arrested.

Yeah his history has been gone through in detail and brought up many times already! There is a bit of a pattern alright. But maybe this is the one that leads to something changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

This wasnt in The Marble Arch was it and is your second name mcgregor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,637 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

*waiting to see what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

dashoonage wrote: »
    This wasnt in The Marble Arch was it and is your second name mcgregor ?

Was the incident involving a bus by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

2smiggy wrote: »
    *waiting to see what happened

The anticipation as we reach lunch break time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Jaysus it must be tough being a local parish priest these days.. I’d say the job is safe though..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Any news??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Nope.

It happened with a work colleague. Work are involved and were brought into disrepute when the guards asked how you know each other.

If I was your boss, you'd be fired. Others may be more lenient.
    If your in a good company who respects their employees then you should be fine OP, I changed jobs to specifically get away from people like Mrs O Bumble (No offence). I worked in places like this and now work in a great multinational company in IT where they respect their employees with a great life work balance where you can have a honest conversation with your boss about anything and they always see the best in you, not the worst.

Toxic work environment is rotten thing to go into everyday.

Mrs OBumble's long, long post history reveals her true character if you read back far enough, she really does come across as having more edge than Gillette and more chips than McDonalds.

I'm sure she's a really fair, decent, broad-minded and lovely person behind it all though.

OP best of luck with it, I'm sure HR don't want to be involved in the first place and if they do feel as though they need to be seen to take a stance I'm sure they'll issue some token warning or whatever.

As for your Colleagues, people love gossip and a bit of a story, getting in a drunken fight isn't an ideal point of notoriety but you won't be the first or last... Just take the angle you did on here, say you regret it and are keen to move on and put it behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Mango Joe wrote: »
    OP best of luck with it, I'm sure HR don't want to be involved in the first place and if they do feel as though they need to be seen to take a stance I'm sure they'll issue some token warning or whatever.

Are we reading the same thread - a work colleague is (apparently) pressing charges on the OP for an assault arising from the work function...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You don't know the OP, you don't know the company nor the OPs history with the company and yet you can be sure.....
    As for your Colleagues, people love gossip and a bit of a story, getting in a drunken

They also don't like to have to work with someone who has a history of violence, assaulted a colleague and might do so again.

If there is a prosecution or an employee makes a formal complaint, this could go pear shaped very quickly. With the OPs history telling him to sling his hook is cheaper than the risk of an action for damages as a result of a failure to provide a safe working environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

skinny90 wrote: »
    Yes given this is not your first offence this is what should be your priority. As for the assault itself. Do you have any grounds for what happened? Who started it? Is there any witnesses from the office who saw it.

@skinny90

I think your reply was meant for the OP, Conor84, I just replied to his post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Are we reading the same thread - a work colleague is (apparently) pressing charges on the OP for an assault arising from the work function...

Sometimes a dose of prison is the only thing that will sort an individual out. The shock of 6 months in the Joy might just do the trick to get a person off the grog or hashish or whatever is causing such aggression to puck other people about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Sometimes a dose of prison is the only thing that will sort an individual out. The shock of 6 months in the Joy might just do the trick to get a person off the grog or hashish or whatever is causing such aggression to puck other people about the place.

6 months in the joy.

If there not on something when they go in chances are they certainly will be when they come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭joeguevara

grog and hashish? 80's are calling on wildly oversized mobile phones!

• Advertisement

hold on a second...all we know is that something happened in a place after the work event, be it a late bar, club, cassino or even house party..
    We do not know the details

Who started what, how it started and took place is not known to us

the employer will leave themselves wide open should the OP be fired as a result

especially if it can be proven that the co worker provoked the OP.

The assault charge itself is a different matter

Advertisement