Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrested after Work Christmas Party?

Options

Comments

The fact the other party is pressing charges would lead you to believe the OP is the agressor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Sometimes a dose of prison is the only thing that will sort an individual out. The shock of 6 months in the Joy might just do the trick to get a person off the grog or hashish or whatever is causing such aggression to puck other people about the place.

I doubt he would get three months from a judge at worst a suspended sentence. There are very few places in prison and he doesnt come to the top of the pile. It will probably take 8 months to come to court. The most damaging part of this would be the criminal record, wont be able to get a Visa/Esta for the states.

The real issue is going forward to get treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭bmc58

Conor84 wrote: »
    Was at my Christmas Party at the weekend, All went OK and 3 of us left after midnight to go somewhere else. A few hours later things got a bit messy and 2 of us had a bit of a "dispute" and it didn't end up well and I ended up getting arrested. Really regret what happened but am dealing with it now.

I am due back in work on Wednesday have been told I have to see my Manager when I am back in. I am just wondering what powers my job have about this especially if the Gardai are dealing with this? This happened outside work time so should they be getting involved at all?

Look if you were in the wrong apologise profusely to anyone you "offended" and say it was totally out of character and the "demon drink " was sadly involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭bmc58

If your in a good company who respects their employees then you should be fine OP, I changed jobs to specifically get away from people like Mrs O Bumble (No offence). I worked in places like this and now work in a great multinational company in IT where they respect their employees with a great life work balance where you can have a honest conversation with your boss about anything and they always see the best in you, not the worst.

Toxic work environment is rotten thing to go into everyday.

What about the other person involved?It takes two to tango you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

I doubt he would get three months from a judge at worst a suspended sentence. There are very few places in prison and he doesnt come to the top of the pile. It will probably take 8 months to come to court. The most damaging part of this would be the criminal record, wont be able to get a Visa/Esta for the states.

The real issue is going forward to get treatment.

Well it won’t be his first conviction for this type of thing. Anyway you can get nice treatments in prison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

bmc58 wrote: »
    Look if you were in the wrong apologise profusely to anyone you "offended" and say it was totally out of character and the "demon drink " was sadly involved.

Don't worry yourself, from a read of his previous posts I'm sure he's learned off the good old "shure twas all the drink" insincere apology by heart at this stage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

skinny90 wrote: »
    the employer will leave themselves wide open should the OP be fired as a result

They will also leave themselves wide open should it happen again, employers are obliged to maintain a safe working environment, a case they'd have a hard job to defend if it happens on site in the future... if there is a prosecution, it would be hard to say they did not not the history....

The OP will just have to wait and see how it pans out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Sometimes a dose of prison is the only thing that will sort an individual out. The shock of 6 months in the Joy might just do the trick to get a person off the grog or hashish or whatever is causing such aggression to puck other people about the place.

Professor Genius I'm afraid your knowledge of drugs, alcoholism and the prison system is not matching your user name.

He wont get 6 months. Jail doesn't help or cure alcohol or addiction problems. And hashish causing aggression, lol what?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Have u offered an apology to the other party or being asked to apologise? I'd hold my hands up here and learn from it, some guys on here are putting you in jail already ffs.owe to be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

A large proportion of people who serve time, almost half, will re offend upon release, our current prison system does very little in dealing with the actual underlying issues that has caused the offenses in the first place, including addiction issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

"Hashish" after a rake of pints would more than likely make you order a pizza. By the time you've finished the pizza and the largest bag of maltesers ever, you wouldn't have the energy to assault anyone Professor Genius.
    Conor84 wrote: »
    A few hours later things got a bit messy and 2 of us had a bit of a "dispute" and it didn't end up well and I ended up getting arrested. Really regret what happened but am dealing with it now.

Define not end up well ? Did the other chap end up in a hospital ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭OU812

Seems to me that the company may be partially responsible here. If they were paying for the party, they have a duty of care to ensure their employees were not too intoxicated.

Personal responsibility also comes into play.

Was there a free bar or drink tokens? If so, it could be argued that they put you in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

OU812 wrote: »
    Seems to me that the company may be partially responsible here. If they were paying for the party, they have a duty of care to ensure their employees were not too intoxicated.

Was there a free bar or drink tokens? If so, it could be argued that they put you in that position.

That's a sure fire way to nip any work activities outside of 9-5 in the bud. He said he got a meal a few drinks.

Unless you hold barmen accountable for every drunken brawl, the employers have nothing to answer for. A bit of personal accountability is a good thing and seems like the OP is taking it on the chin at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

OU812 wrote: »

Company might be partly responsible for op falling and hitting themselves and such like. They aren't responsible for them being an a55hole, sorry op anyone who acts like that.... It's not the companies fault..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Those who are saying the company have some responsibility. Would they not also have s responsibility towards the other party ie this guy assaulted me and now you expect me to work alongside him?

I’m sure OP knows his work situation by now. Up to him if he wants to come back and tell us. But no matter what, you should really look at your boozing. It’s not your first time and do you really want to be known as the guy who gets pissed and gets arrested for fighting?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

https://www.joe.ie/business/20-employees-cork-suspended-work-christmas-party-behaviour-689363 timely article on Joe.

Also maybe the company might be happy to fire a violent employee and accept they take a hit at tribunal. It might be a better solution for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

lion_bar wrote: »

"A lot of employers are discovering a new trend, which is nudity at Christmas parties." :eek:

I haven't been to a work Christmas party in a few years but I might start going again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

He didn't post any updates...my guess is it didn't go well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Cmon OP what happened!!

lion_bar wrote: »

I think everyone in Cork city knows what call center that was from and they employ a load of scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Steve F wrote: »
    He didn't post any updates...my guess is it didn't go well?

Here is what I think.
    He was given the road, ended up decking the person who told him, trashed the office and went on the lash. Still on a bender.

Here is what I think.
    He was given the road, ended up decking the person who told him, trashed the office and went on the lash. Still on a bender.

I can't rest till I know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I think everyone in Cork city knows what call center that was from and they employ a load of scumbags.

Are they all from a call centre? I heard 6 were from a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Here is what I think.

Theres a film in that.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Are they all from a call centre? I heard 6 were from Styker.

I assumed they were from a scumbag call center on the west side of the city. I had heard the stories from that call center before and assumed it was them. I didnt think any other company could stoop to that levels of human degradation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Theres a film in that.

The Christmas party.
    Rated 18.
    Scenes of violence and nudity.
    Sounds like a winner. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Office-Christmas-Party-film.jpg?f=default&$p$f=c71af46

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    And with that we close the thread; reminder that this is not AH and that Santa (mods) do bring coal to people who've been naughty this year as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭skinny90

can we at least find out the outcome? :o

• Advertisement

Makes no sense to close this,at least let us find out the outcome??

Advertisement