Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

You could grab an i7 6700 (4 core, 8 threads, 4Ghz boost) from somewhere like webuy or ebay, pop it in and call it a day. It'd be a decent performance boost (your i5 has 4 core, 4 threads, 3.6Ghz boost) and keep you going for a few more years.

Alternatively you could sell on the CPU, mobo and RAM as a bundle, and get the Ryzen 3600 (6 core, 12 threads, 4.2GHz boost), a B450 motherboard and 3200MHz DDR4 RAM.

I'd slap in a large SSD in there too. 1TB drives are going pretty cheaply these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

6700 is an interesting option but decided to go the 3600 route.
    Going with an M.2 drive while I'm at it.

Deciding whether to sell the old build or use it to replace my home server.
    Anyone know what a good price would be for all of the above excluding case and GPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I would maybe consider the 6700. Not because it's better than the 3600 or anything but the 3600 will be be a pretty expensive upgrade, as the sale value of the 6500 bundle would be very low. 6700 is a huge upgrade on a 6500 in newer games and it would be a once off cost of 150 or whatever.

Or else maybe consider just selling your current machine outright, that way it might fetch a good bit more value....and build an all new one based on the 3600.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Homelander wrote: »
    I would maybe consider the 6700. Not because it's better than the 3600 or anything but the 3600 will be be a pretty expensive upgrade, as the sale value of the 6500 bundle would be very low. 6700 is a huge upgrade on a 6500 in newer games and it would be a once off cost of 150 or whatever.

Or else maybe consider just selling your current machine outright, that way it might fetch a good bit more value....and build an all new one based on the 3600.

I've put my order in to fairly committed now to the 3600 :)

Could possibly upgrade the GPU too.

What do you think the price difference would be between selling it or without the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

As a full pc, maybe about 400, possibly 450. Without the card, probably half that. Prices have dropped hugely in recent times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement