Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Income Threshold/Earning too much.

Options
  • 17-12-2019 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

Its not happening now but may happen down the line.

Does anyone know what would happen if my girlfriend moves in with me and both our income go over the total amount of income allowed for council house?
    I'm a tenant already.

The threshold is around 36k which seems a bit low.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I guess you’d have to pay rent out of your own pocket at that stage like the rest of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

The point at which you reach the income threshold is the point at which you no longer require assisted housing. Your house will be reallocated to somebody who requires assisted housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you have a lifetime tenancy, nothing - well, your rent will go up if you're not at the differential rent cap for your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

RiseToMe wrote: »
    The point at which you reach the income threshold is the point at which you no longer require assisted housing. Your house will be reallocated to somebody who requires assisted housing.

When did that start happening, council house was always a house for life. And the rent usually caps at some stupid low amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

RiseToMe wrote: »

This is what should happen.

But it is not what DOES happen.

OP, you need to get the council's permission for your gf to move in. As part of that they will get you to complete a new means statement, and your rent will increase.

Likely they will look for proof of the date she moved in eg a copy of the mail redirection order for her old address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Henry Sellars

I guess you’d have to pay rent out of your own pocket at that stage like the rest of us...

Eh I do pay rent out of my own pocket...no need to be snotty.

I just was asking a simple question to see if any one had similar experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It all depends on the type of tenancy you have OP. If you've a Differential Rent on a council-owned property, your rent will increase by a percentage of your girlfriend's income. If you're in a long term lease arrangement or a HAP tenancy it may be different.

The easiest way of getting a definite answer is to pick up the phone to the council and ask what the effect of your girlfriend moving in would be. As you're not married and she hasn't yet moved in, even if the consequences of her moving in would be that you'd lose your entitlement to your current arrangement, they can't "punish" you for asking the question. Your girlfriend has no legal obligation to assist in housing you, the council do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

This is what should happen.

No it shouldn't.

Do you think that the unemployed and low-earners should just be left in their own areas so they don't bother the rest of society until they can earn enough to move in next door to the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

El Weirdo wrote: »
    No it shouldn't.

Do you think that the unemployed and low-earners should just be left in their own areas so they don't bother the rest of society until they can earn enough to move in next door to the rest of us?

100% yes I do think that should be the case

100% yes I do think that should be the case

Yeah, but you're a troll so no one really gives a **** what you say you think.

• Advertisement

I’m a think ?

FWIW , I do believe that. Don’t understand the logic of people given social accommodation in estates where people have purchased. I think it’s unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I’m a think ?

FWIW , I do believe that. Don’t understand the logic of people given social accommodation in estates where people have purchased. I think it’s unfair.

Why is it unfair? Would you prefer to see people who can't afford to buy a house end up on the street or ghetto like areas with huge social issues and a never ending cycle of poverty and crime? Low income families will end up paying a differential rate of rent to the council based on the income into the house. A lot of the time this will equal most mortgage payments yet they will never end up owning the house.

I agree that people who have never worked a day in their lives and get everything for nothing should be challenged but we need to maintain a decent social welfare structure. The opposite believe me is much worse.

P.S talk to older people in their 50's and 60's. Social housing was the Norm from the formation of the state to the late 70's early 80's. They would remember that.

Social housing and affordable housing is the way to go here to an extent regardless of salaries.

There can't be any justification for a 3 bed semi on the commuted belt costing 430,000 plus. Someone is making huge profits at the expense of ordinary people and Fine Gael / Fianna Fail are all for it.

I’m a think ?
    No. Maybe read it again.

Slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

Why are people with right leaning opinions dismissed as trolls? I've never understood this.

Why is it unfair? Would you prefer to see people who can't afford to buy a house end up on the street or ghetto like areas with huge social issues and a never ending cycle of poverty and crime? Low income families will end up paying a differential rate of rent to the council based on the income into the house. A lot of the time this will equal most mortgage payments yet they will never end up owning the house.

I agree that people who have never worked a day in their lives and get everything for nothing should be challenged but we need to maintain a decent social welfare structure. The opposite believe me is much worse.

P.S talk to older people in their 50's and 60's. Social housing was the Norm from the formation of the state to the late 70's early 80's. They would remember that.

Social housing and affordable housing is the way to go here to an extent regardless of salaries.

There can't be any justification for a 3 bed semi on the commuted belt costing 430,000 plus. Someone is making huge profits at the expense of ordinary people and Fine Gael / Fianna Fail are all for it.

Never once did I mention about sleeping on the streets as an alternative.
    Ghettos as you call don’t just start off that way, it’s as a result of the people living there.

In the estate I’m living in, had a social housing family and they didn’t know how to behave, parties, drinking, sofas out on the garden,teens on scramblers arriving.

No respect for living with hard working people.

I don’t care if it sounds un pc but they have the choice to live in a ghetto or live in social housing estate and behave accordingly

Not that difficult

No. Maybe read it again.

Slowly.

No. Still don’t understand your sentence. perhaps you should read it back slowly to yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you think someone is trolling, report it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Henry Sellars

In the estate I’m living in, had a social housing family and they didn’t know how to behave, parties, drinking, sofas out on the garden,teens on scramblers arriving.

No respect for living with hard working people.

Sorry but what world are you living in? Why are you assuming everyone in social housing isnt working?

Why are you assuming everyone in social housing goes on like that family?

Plenty of scumbags in private renting too...should we assume you are the same as them?

Compare any traditional social housing estate in Dublin and compare to a private estate. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say there is a substantial difference in behavior and respect of the individual areas

I was only agreeing with another poster that thinks social housing recipients should live with their own

Anyway, didn’t mean to derail the op’s thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Compare any traditional social housing estate in Dublin and compare to a private estate. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say there is a substantial difference in behavior and respect of the individual areas

I was only agreeing with another poster that thinks social housing recipients should live with their own

Anyway, didn’t mean to derail the op’s thread.

And jews , blacks and travellers should stick to their own too.

• Advertisement

And jews , blacks and travellers should stick to their own too.

Ridiculous straw man argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Nothing will happen to your tenancy other then you will need to declare your partner as living with you and your joint income will then be assessed for the new rent amount owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No it shouldn't.

It's nothing to do with areas: social housing can be found almost anywhere these days.

But if people no longer need housing support, we shouldn't be wasting taxpayer's money giving it to them: let them move out so that someone who is on the list and needs support can move in.

Advertisement