Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are eircom.net or eir.net addresses being phased out in future? Dad doesnt want gmail

Options
  • 17-12-2019 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Old dad doesnt want gmail and wants to stick with his eir account for everything ... never travels and uses a PC

Are there any plans to phase it out ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

worded wrote: »
    Old dad doesnt want gmail and wants to stick with his eir account for everything ... never travels and uses a PC

Are there any plans to phase it out ?

I have not received any notification of that, has he?

Is there some other reason to move to gmail?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

I’m just wondering if there is a plan to phase it out

Vodafone did it

If so has to bite the bullet sooner than later

Looks like he can continue as is

I thought I heard something somewhere but perhaps I heard wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It will happen, only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

How is he currently accessing his email. I’m guessing it’s not the web browser.

Set up outlook on his pc. Give him a gmail account, add it to outlook and secure it with 2 factor. Add his eircom account to the same program. Show him he can interchange between each account and there is no difference other than an address. He may get used to it and accept it.

Does he receive a lot of email or just junk mail ? Maybe he fears loosing the contacts. Import them to gmail. If and when eircom dies, he has the same program to access as always and he is ready to move. You may have to sell the idea of google and it’s many services linked to his account vs eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Can you add a gmail account to outlook?

• Advertisement

gipi wrote: »
    Can you add a gmail account to outlook?

From a quick google

https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/add-a-gmail-account-to-outlook-70191667-9c52-4581-990e-e30318c2c081[url][/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Damien360 wrote: »

Thanks Damien - I use an older version of outlook, but will have a look at the instructions to see if it can be done for my version.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Looks like Eir are going to start charging for use of eircom.net from the end of March 2020.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tens-of-thousands-to-be-hit-with-new-599-monthly-charge-from-eir-for-access-to-email-38924417.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

rgfuller wrote: »
    Looks like Eir are going to start charging for use of eircom.net from the end of March 2020.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tens-of-thousands-to-be-hit-with-new-599-monthly-charge-from-eir-for-access-to-email-38924417.html
    "If an account holder does not get in touch with Eir to arrange payment, the service will cease after 60 days and the account will be permanently deleted after that time."

That's an awful approach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

The writing is on the wall.

If he wants to continue to use it, he will have to put his hand in his pocket for the privilege.

I expect this to be a stepping stone to complete decomissioning of the email service in the medium term.

Don't bother with Outlook if you are just using email. Get the Mail app on the PC as it is a much more straightforward and simple app just for email alone.

He could get an outlook or hotmail email address as well as gmail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

They are doing this because they do not want to run that aspect of the business anymore. By charging they are encouraging people to switch email providers and most will change.
    They will be left with a small number of paying customers and the subscription from them will at least partially finance the continued operation of it until such time that they decide to axe it altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I've just spring cleaned all my old eircom. net folders and emails and I have 215 individual emails which I will need to hang onto.

Is there any way I can select all of these in one batch and send them to my gmail account or does it need to be done individually? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I've just spring cleaned all my old eircom. net folders and emails and I have 215 individual emails which I will need to hang onto.

Is there any way I can select all of these in one batch and send them to my gmail account or does it need to be done individually? Thanks.

As this message, what do i need to do to pull all my emails from eircom to gmail or yahoo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Spook_ie wrote: »
    As this message, what do i need to do to pull all my emails from eircom to gmail or yahoo?

Try this first

https://www.howtogeek.com/436947/how-to-import-an-old-email-account-into-gmail/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why not just announce it's closure for a given date? Or do they think this will concentrate minds more effectively?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Fantastic service as usual from eir. Sell you broadband and then want extra for email. Privatised by government and citizens encouraged to buy shared. What a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

rgfuller wrote: »

Thanks for the 'heads up' ... without it I would not have known.
    Eir of course did not send me an email informing me!

At least I have time to export the accounts before I lose it all.

I wonder if they will also kill off the web page space they used to offer and is still live?
    Not many even know about that now I guess.

It had the URL in the form of
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~<some user selected name>

and also

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~<some user selected name>

EDIT: just checked those web pages are indeed still alive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

What about the old indigo.ie email addresses?

Nate

What about the old indigo.ie email addresses?

Nate

That brings back memories. Are those still active ? Had one I think about 20 years ago and had a dial up connection we had to unplug an office fax machine to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Damien360 wrote: »
    That brings back memories. Are those still active ? Had one I think about 20 years ago and had a dial up connection we had to unplug an office fax machine to use.

Yep still going, and run by eir :(

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

All my eircom emails go to my gmail account, does that mean that when eir pulls the plug the old eircom emails will still show in the gmail account, or will they vanish?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

looksee wrote: »
    All my eircom emails go to my gmail account, does that mean that when eir pulls the plug the old eircom emails will still show in the gmail account, or will they vanish?

If the e-mails are taken into your Google mail folders then they won't disappear, you just won't receive any new stuff. Same if you use a mail client like Thunderbird to manage your Eircom.net e-mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I'm pretty much a dinosaur with computers but I was on my gmail account just now and there it shows how to import all your stuff from eircom or any other email address. if I can do it you can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,902 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Absolute scummy behaviour from Eir.

You'd think they'd bother contacting their customers, instead of the Irish Independent. :mad:

This presents a problem for those of us who refuse to sign up for Gmail on principle.

Thinking of moving my mobile away from Eir now, f**k them. No loyalty to existing paying customers.

Blacknight took over IOL email addresses last year, are keeping it free for the first 12 months and won't be charging anything like as much as Eir.

6.99 a month is an utter rip-off, 6.99 a year would be worth it.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

EIRCON V5.99
    Most recent owners trying to "flog the dead horse" and "milk the dead cow". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

coylemj wrote: »
    If the e-mails are taken into your Google mail folders then they won't disappear, you just won't receive any new stuff. Same if you use a mail client like Thunderbird to manage your Eircom.net e-mail.

Does this mean we can't use our eircom.net at all unless we pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

jamesbil wrote: »
    Does this mean we can't use our eircom.net at all unless we pay?

Yup.

After 31st March.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

squawker wrote: »

Thanks for that. Worked perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Thanks for that. Worked perfectly.

So this is purely for importing old messages?
    After 31/3 any messages sent to eircom.net will still disappear?

Quite a big deal this for a lot of people, I've had mine for over 20 years.
    Think of all the accounts signed up for using it, banks, bills etc.
    Potential is there to be locked out of a lot of accounts and sites.

Advertisement