Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are eircom.net or eir.net addresses being phased out in future? Dad doesnt want gmail

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,902 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's a complete PITA. Thought as a paying Eir customer I'd be safe.

Don't ever want to have to switch everything again, so will have to consider my options very carefully.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

jamesbil wrote: »
    So this is purely for importing old messages?
    After 31/3 any messages sent to eircom.net will still disappear?

Quite a big deal this for a lot of people, I've had mine for over 20 years.
    Think of all the accounts signed up for using it, banks, bills etc.
    Potential is there to be locked out of a lot of accounts and sites.

Yeah, spending most of a couple of days so far trawling through all sorts of sign ups .... revenue, insurances and the myriad of sites one acquires during a long time on line.
    Will never be sure I got them all unfortunately. Three accounts affected .... near €18 per month :eek:

I have decided to use my own domain and email account and have it hosted on the likes of Blacknight ..... eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

ED E wrote: »
    It will happen, only a matter of time.

OP here ... I predicted that well.

Im also available for Tarot Card readings and general advise about the future ...

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Eircom webmail login doesnt seem to be working now, anyone else having difficulty?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Eircom webmail login doesnt seem to be working now, anyone else having difficulty?

No doubt being overrun by people grabbing their email before it gets lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭hopeso

I can't get into it on my PC for weeks now. It works fine on the iPad though. :confused:

No doubt being overrun by people grabbing their email before it gets lost.

I find that quite funny. When I signed up for an eircom.net address, you got 5 whole megabytes of storage! so there was no real option other than to use it as a POP3 account and download everything instead of keeping it on their server. I still do. So I don't rely on anyone to keep my emails safe, I do so myself... and yes I do backups!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

My dad had an Ireland.com email, was gutted to have to give it up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭hopeso

I'm an eircom webmail user. I'm not very well informed in these things, but am I right in assuming that gmail is the best option to change to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

hopeso wrote: »
    I'm an eircom webmail user. I'm not very well informed in these things, but am I right in assuming that gmail is the best option to change to?

For more privacy consider protonmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

I'd already started moving contacts from eircom.net to gmail, as eir didn't have to let us carry on using the old addresses, and it felt like a case of borrowed time. And when eir cleared out disused eircom.net accounts about 2 years ago, requiring us to access their webmail directly every so often or lose our addresses, it was a bit of a hint.

I never got an email from them about that, and stumbled on it only just in time to act. For years I'd normally only accessed our eircom accounts via a 3rd-party webmail viewer; it was quite fiddly finding out whether they defined that as 'accessing' the account (which they didn't), and that was when there was still an Ask Eir forum.

No email this time either, but read somewhere the other day that 'customers' should receive one. And I haven't been their customer for anything since 2006, so I guess that explains it. (They call us former broadband customers - quite amusing when our line struggled even to carry dialup!)

Keeping our eircom addresses would be a sub too far in this household. The only reason I kept them so long is a fondness for the addresses themselves, simple ones easy for people to remember. Back in 2000, my 2-word name was still available (and my husband just missed bagging his 5-letter first name, so we changed one letter of it!). I still cherish the password I was given by a large website back then, a well known animal with 4 letters (and no - it's not a site there'd be any point in hacking!).

It's no huge job for me to change email addresses - I don't have a business or other organisation to update. If I did, I would have moved at least those contacts away from eircom.net years ago as a precaution. Though I have an advantage in that most of my working life was running small businesses (and spotting the What Ifs still comes naturally!).

I wonder if even those paying the sub will be able to use their eircom addresses indefinitely, given that the plans of big comms companies always seem to be over-optimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

squawker wrote: »
    I shudder to think of the data mining treasure trove that service is for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Anyone having problems sending emails from eircom.net. Mine are sending but not delivering?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I can't see the option to import emails, in settings, in my Gmail account?

I can't see the option to import emails, in settings, in my Gmail account?

https://www.howtogeek.com/436947/how-to-import-an-old-email-account-into-gmail/

Following that yes?^^

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Went onto the laptop, worked! Thanks for the link, cut out a lot of work.

Went onto the laptop, worked! Thanks for the link, cut out a lot of work.

Aah, I was gonna say what device were you on alright...

You're sorted anyway.

FFVII wrote: »
    Aah, I was gonna say what device were you on alright...

You're sorted anyway.

Thanks a million. :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Always were!

Advertisement